Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 03:08 PM

2 posts, read 2,195 times

Advertisements

2008 was a horrible year for movies. It was full of ****ty frat boy comedies and adaptations of comic books and novels (especially of the teen romance kind). The only two original films were Gran Torino, which was good, not great, and Repo! The Genetic Opera, which had a limited release and can only be appreciated by those into the industrial music scene.

I wish this was only my opinion but, stepping back, this is pure fact. Hollywood is losing its originality and relying on sequels and franchises that have been marketed in other media outlets. If anyone has anything to say about this, please share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 03:36 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,051,924 times
I actually thought 2008 was okay for movies.
Not superb, but certainly not dismal.
Hollywood is not the only source for film.
There are a bunch I have not yet seen (I live in a very small town, no arthouse theaters here) but I did like The Dark Knight, Wall-E, The Band's Visit, Tropic Thunder, Iron Man, Benjamin Button.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:45 PM

269 posts, read 914,592 times
Next year doesn't look much better from any previews I saw ... some more Comic Book type stuff and a bunch of end of the world movies .. oh joy

Old 01-11-2009, 09:39 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,970,728 times
Full of crappy movies? The Dark Knight (A++), Slumdog Millionaire (A++), Iron Man, and Wanted (among others) all disagree with you.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:38 PM

2 posts, read 2,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
There are a bunch I have not yet seen (I live in a very small town, no arthouse theaters here) but I did like The Dark Knight, Wall-E, The Band's Visit, Tropic Thunder, Iron Man, Benjamin Button.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Full of crappy movies? The Dark Knight (A++), Slumdog Millionaire (A++), Iron Man, and Wanted (among others) all disagree with you.
You all are not reading my post thoroughly enough. I'm talking about original movies, not adaptations. Who cares about seeing Hollywood's rendition of a story that has already been told?

I still rest my case, 2008 has been a p*ss poor year for new movies.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:50 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,341,285 times
all movies are just adaptations isnt it?

We havent had a real original idea in a long arse time

Old 01-11-2009, 11:02 PM

161 posts, read 370,808 times
has there ever been a year in which all movies had an original screenplay?

and I'm very interested in reading just 1 good, original idea for a movie you have. Complete originality in movies is rare...

P*ss poor? Puuuuleeeeze....

Old 01-11-2009, 11:53 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,358,196 times
what about "The Wrestler"? I've heard good things about it, and I don't think it's an adaptation.

and, like 'em or hate 'em, but Tropic Thunder, Pineapple Express and WALL-E were all original and all did great in the box office and w/ critics.

I remember one year when nearly all of the nominees for "Best Picture" were adaptations. I do agree that Hollywood is lacking in original scripts, but just b/c it's an adaptation doesn't mean it's a bad movie (I assumed from the title that the thread was about bad movies overall, not about the lack of original movies)

I think we may begin to see the effects the Writer's Strike had on movies. it took a bit longer than w/ television, but I've heard this year we should see the full effects. from what I've heard, one of the main reasons the Harry Potter movie was moved from winter of '08 to summer of '09 was b/c of the slim pickings the strike left them for this year. I heard a lot of scripts got axed b/c of the strike too

Old 01-12-2009, 05:06 AM

6,573 posts, read 12,081,415 times
I thought this year was pretty decent. My favorite movies of this year are Dark Knight, Iron Man, Prince Caspian, Wanted, Jumper, Get Smart, Wall-E, Yes Man!, and Role Models.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:53 AM

10,093 posts, read 14,491,110 times
I completely disagree with the OP. I thought 2008 was a pretty good year for movies. There were clunkers for sure (Wanted, Prince Caspian, Bedtime Stories, Indiana Jones 4), but overall the great movies prevailed! Iron Man, Dark Knight, Wall-E, Slumdog Millionaire, The Reader, Doubt, and Australia (I liked Australia!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies