Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 09:23 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,185,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I'm wondering if the powers that be will allow me to change my name to "Zipprhead" or "Swamp Rat".
LOL-- tell me what they say when you ask !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 11:33 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,087,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
LOL-- tell me what they say when you ask !!
I will. I also kinda liked it when he said "What are you fish heads looking at?" I like that name too.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:35 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,185,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I will. I also kinda liked it when he said "What are you fish heads looking at?" I like that name too.
LOL--he had some good ones. I am so not a fan of most his movies but this one I loved.

BTW-keep your ID--it suits you and I would miss it!!

Old 08-18-2009, 12:55 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,087,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
LOL--he had some good ones. I am so not a fan of most his movies but this one I loved.

BTW-keep your ID--it suits you and I would miss it!!
Nah, I won't change it here, but I think I'm gonna have to go with one of Walt's names for the next forum I get involved with.

Here's something just for fun:

YouTube - Gran Torino in Less Than 2 Minutes

Old 08-18-2009, 08:09 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,300,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
Another great film by Eastwood. Wow is he showing his age though. But what a well thought out, touching movie.

At first when I saw the previews, I had this movie made out to be an old red neck Grandpa, taking on the ugly inner city gang bangers. Whitey versus thug. In a sense it had some aspect in that area, but it was so much more. In the end, the movie was about bring ethnicities together and showing depsite cultural differences, just how much alike we all really are.

It was a great movie, perhaps his best yet.
I REALLY enjoyed Gran Torino. I agree -- probably Clint Eastwood's best masterpiece. I had the same expectations of the movie as you did; an old, retired veteran going after some thugs who moved into his neighborhood. Little did I know that this movie would be such a great example of how even some of the toughest racial barriers can be overcome.

Sad ending, but an unexpected one. I won't spoil the movie for those who haven't seen it, but I half expected him to go in there with guns blazing.

I was also left with a feeling that this movie was indirectly about Clint Eastwood himself and the issues that he may have wrestled with after he'd served in the Korean War.

Fantastic movie...I'd recommend it to anyone, even to those who aren't necessarily fans of Clint Eastwood.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:13 PM

664 posts, read 1,949,449 times
Just saw this last weekend. This movie was great. I really like it!

Old 03-29-2010, 11:36 PM

609 posts, read 1,262,115 times
honestly...i dont care for clint eastwood at all. i think hes a terrible actor...but thats just my opinion! so please dont yell at me. lol. that being said, i loved this movie...i thought it was amazing, very real, and very well done. i think its one of those movies that everyone should watch at least once.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:50 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,239,807 times
When he says, "Get off my lawn, you Asian people!", I thought it was unnecessarily racist.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:57 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,561,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Read Culture of Critique View Post
When he says, "Get off my lawn, you Asian people!", I thought it was unnecessarily racist.
If that's all you got out of the entire movie then you didn't "get it".

Old 03-30-2010, 06:55 AM

497 posts, read 1,178,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklez_304 View Post
honestly...i dont care for clint eastwood at all. i think hes a terrible actor...but thats just my opinion! so please dont yell at me. lol. that being said, i loved this movie...i thought it was amazing, very real, and very well done. i think its one of those movies that everyone should watch at least once.

I won't yell at you. In fact, I agree with you. He gives the same performance over and over and is called one of the greatest actors of our time. I don't get it.

I absolutely HATED him in Bridges of Madison County. He cast himself and he was too FREAKIN old!!!!!!!! So was Streep, but she is a good enough actress that she not only pulled it off, but was excellent in the role. He was just creepy. The sex scenes were ruinned for me and the scene where he's standing in the rain with his thin hair plastered to his head makes me cringe. So does the bathtub scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies