Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 02:29 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,981,976 times

Advertisements

are there others like me?

Is there a rule somewhere that says TV's have to show the most smaltzy, saccharine sweet feel good movies in the world at this time of the year? I mean they are showing crap that would make Pollyanna diabetic. After almost 60 years of "Way to go Clarence!" or of "Bah, humbug" ending with the gadawful "God Bless us, Every one"......and don't get me started on Natalie Wood and the Miracle........I'm not sure I can take another feel good, miracle at Christmas time movie.

It was bad enough when the two weeks before Christmas had all kinds of specials, and that Christmas decorations went up right after Thanksgiving. But I've been watching decorations in aisles since before Halloween and listening to Christmas Carols in stores since August.

I think I need more scotch............

Thank God, we have football.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 03:04 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,323,429 times
Not just you. A Charlie Brown Christmas was neat the first time, the 40th sucked. But it's not for the adults, if's for children - they still believe. Believe what, I don't know, but...

I also can't stand decorations and carols in October. It's like the world has forgotten Halloween and Thanksgiving, they just aren't commercial enough. Or at least no one's figured out how to make them pay off so well. Back when I was a kid, stores and houses were decorated no more than 2 weeks before Christmas, and that was that. And everything came down/was turned off the day after, no exceptions.

Scotch is good. And since it's chilly outside, a brandy toddy or hot buttered rum works, too, and if the wrong team wins, there's always hot buttered 151.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:37 PM

91 posts, read 294,849 times
Default Christmas 2008

Its that time of the year! Merchants have to collect that last dollar before years end....You must now redecorate and remodel your home before the HOLIDAYS! Get those credit cards out and go for the gusto! Bake enough sweets to feed a nation, eat until you burst, and shop til you drop, for people that do not need or want your silly gift. Gift exchanges, holiday parties,how much to spend on each person that is on your gift list,who's house to visit on Christmas Eve and who's to go to Christmas Day, when and were to open the gifts. These are all major decisions . Now last but not least.........lets cover the lighting situtation .......you have to win the contast and put out more lights than you can afford to turn on. To sum it up........ Its all about the parties, gifts, clothing, pretty well decorated home, and enough lights to light up New York City. GOD BLESS US ALL!

Old 11-22-2008, 03:56 PM

330 posts, read 970,307 times
Well, I like the cheesy movies. Yes, I can watch A Christmas Story back, to back, to back, to back, and so on. Can't wait for the claymation series to come on. "Rudolph with your nose so bright, won't you glide my sleigh tonight."

For me, it's about appreciating the gift of life. I know the tv tries to brainwash us all into thinking we have to have this and that, but I've never paid attention to that stuff anyway. I just like being around family, friends, and of course food. If someone is nice enough to invite me over, I'll be nice enough to eat their food. Egg nog, love it. It's about being able to spend time with people and enjoy their company.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:41 PM

2,733 posts, read 1,545,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
are there others like me?

Is there a rule somewhere that says TV's have to show the most smaltzy, saccharine sweet feel good movies in the world at this time of the year? I mean they are showing crap that would make Pollyanna diabetic. After almost 60 years of "Way to go Clarence!" or of "Bah, humbug" ending with the gadawful "God Bless us, Every one"......and don't get me started on Natalie Wood and the Miracle........I'm not sure I can take another feel good, miracle at Christmas time movie.

It was bad enough when the two weeks before Christmas had all kinds of specials, and that Christmas decorations went up right after Thanksgiving. But I've been watching decorations in aisles since before Halloween and listening to Christmas Carols in stores since August.

I think I need more scotch............

Thank God, we have football.
I'm with you, Sir. My family has not celebrated Christmas (in the traditional way, so to speak) for years!! We do not decorate, put up a tree, buy presents, (We have all we need, and if we want something we go buy it when we want it, but most of us have not really wanted something in a long time, so we just keep saving our money--especially smart in these economic times.), etc. We do have meals together during the holidays, and we enjoy spending time with each other. My family is very happy every holiday season because we don't buy into all the hype, and we don't have all the stress. Of course, we have no small children in our family anymore, so the way we do things seems strange to others, but it works out beautifully for us! (One Christmas we took a cruise to the Caribbean islands, and that was a BLAST.)

Old 11-22-2008, 04:47 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,536,080 times
Aw, come on GP, you know after a couple of Scotchs~ you'll get that warm fuzzy feeling inside.

I like the old animated xmas stories like Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. I like to decorate the pine tree we have inside our house.

Egg Nog with rum used to be a special treat too around xmas.

GO Texas Tech!!! Beat OU!

Old 11-22-2008, 05:29 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,544,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post

You aren't helping any, Mister

Old 11-22-2008, 05:41 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,302 times
Thanksgiving is my holiday of choice. I love the food, the family gathered together, the expectation of Christmas without the stress. Christmas is usually a pain in the neck since the kids grew up. I like the music, other people's decorations (too expensive to do your house up the way it looks in the magazines), and the foods that are usually "no-no" during the year.

I haven't done the "usual" for a long time. Our Christmas tree usually looks like a Charlie Brown tree -- but it's a real one. Our house lights are usually crooked, or half of them don't light up after a day or two. I usually return most of the things I buy for my teenagers. My husband usually buys me something he bought me the year before, or something in the wrong size.

I love the holiday season, but not the holiday itself. It always seems to be anti-climatic.

But yes, I do enjoy the Christmas movies.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:41 PM

779 posts, read 2,247,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post

Lol, you probably should have saved that for the Texas forums.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:20 AM

330 posts, read 970,307 times
Actually, I love any holiday. Any time we can get off work, share food, and relax is a good holiday. I agree with the all the hype junk or corporate masters trying to brainwash people, takes away from the true spirit of holidays. I also agree that football does make it pretty nice during the holidays.

My suggestion, we should get all the proposed holidays off Thanksgiving, Christmas, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, the Muslim one (forgive me for not knowing), and anything else I missed. If there are Native American or tribal ones, we should get those too. Let's all share our holidays, our food, and company. Don't give in to the corporate masters, just enjoy the experiences and moments in time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies