Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2008, 05:10 PM

371 posts, read 1,762,742 times

Advertisements

Im trying to decide between the many, many Kingdom of Heaven versions, and since I own a PS3, I am leaning more towards the Blu Ray Directors Cut, although I think there is another version that actually has more content.

Help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 06:59 PM

22,934 posts, read 28,318,079 times
I've only seen the DVD double-disc Director's Cut. I thought it was okay. It certainly LOOKED magnificent (as all Ridley Scott's films do). But the entire story was anachronism. Once Liam Neeson's character died, most of the fire went out of the story.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:50 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,779,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
But the entire story was anachronism.
How so? I think the picture tried to maintain the sensibilities of the time more than many epics do. There were many elements of fantasy, like trebuchets with the range, trajectory and velocity of a German 88mm gun.

As to the versions of the picture, well usually there's a reason the shorter version is released but I liked the long one.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:34 PM

371 posts, read 1,762,742 times
I found it masterful, and thought provoking (especially with today).

I know that the Directors Cut has been claimed to be far better, as the shortened version is more focused on action, another Troy, if you will. The D's Cut offers more insight on the plot. I think the DVD version is slightly longer, although Ridley stated that the original, unedited version of the movie is 80 minutes longer than the D's C (close to 4 hours).

Is this version ever going to come out?

Old 07-18-2008, 06:44 AM

22,934 posts, read 28,318,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
How so? I think the picture tried to maintain the sensibilities of the time more than many epics do.
Orlando Bloom's character had a mindset and values straight out of a 20th century cynic's view of religion. Liam Neeson's character (and I love Liam Neeson and loved his performance) had a more hippy spirituality outlook on life.

The spectacle was magnificent. Casting, cinematography, costuming, design... the entire look of the movie was awesome. But the story and characters struck me as Ridley Scott saying, "This is the way the Middle Ages ought to have been." Because it certainly wasn't the way they were.

Done well, there's nothing wrong with that. I actually enjoyed A Knight's Tale immensely, which is anachronism from beginning to end --- delightfully so. Kingdom of Heaven just had a sort of sad, angry tone to it that never quite grabbed me. Try as I might, I just couldn't work up any sympathy for Orlando Bloom's character. I kept wanting to kick him in the pants and scream, "Stop whining you whiney whiner!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies