Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2008, 10:22 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,746 times

Advertisements

Great 'cerebral' film if you have yet to see it. My husband and I watched it for the third or fourth time yesterday, on the movie channels to which we subscribe on TV. Matt Damon is so good in the role of head of the CIA -- such a stoic, expressionless, poker player of a fellow, as I well imagine someone in that very role might have to be.

We enjoy the different levels of the film, too, from the protagonist's days at Yale where he is inducted into Skull and Bones, to his marriage, and being drawn into the 'spy business' and what becomes the CIA, and the rationale behind it during the Cold War years.

Anyone else seen the film, and liked it? Is it based on an actual man's life? The character is Edward Wilson, but I assumed much of the story is a fictionalized account of the beginnings of the CIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 02:17 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,733,079 times
Uggh..!! I disliked this movie very very much. It's too dark for my taste with no uplifting quality whatsoever. I'm not sure if this movie is based on true story or not, but it sure is depressing! I thought Matt Damon was just okay. Robert DeNiro was miscast (he should've stuck to director chair only for the movie), but Joe Pesci was spot on for the role.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:27 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,099,790 times
I saw it recently for the 1st time and I liked it, but my wife who was also in the room hated it. She thought it was dull, and I enjoyed the story line.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:05 AM

Two thumbs-down, and counting my husband, three thumbs-up.

I will readily admit it is not a jumping-up-and-down in your seats kinda' film, but I loved the story lines on the different levels, and the character Damon plays. For him to carry off that role just proved to me what Damon can bring to the screen as an actor -- would you have ever believed that was him in the role of Edward Wilson?

I found it touching, too, his reading his father's suicide note at the end, and realizing that he had been a good man, even if he had not had a necessarily good, or happy life because of his career choice. I have been so incredibly intrigued by the character until I want to find something to read, if such a character existed, and there is anything out there to read about him.

Some great lines, too -- no 'the' in front of the word, God, or CIA.

I'd say if you liked it the first time around, catch it a second time if you can. Following the story line with Ulysses is intriguing. I love Damon's little unassuming character with his poker face -- so what I might imagine a person in that position would have to be.

I also found Angelina Jolie's portrayal as Mrs. Edward Wilson/Margaret/Clover touching, and believable. Who'd have thought she could ever look so 'tired,' unattractive?

Old 06-25-2008, 10:43 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Great 'cerebral' film if you have yet to see it. My husband and I watched it for the third or fourth time yesterday, on the movie channels to which we subscribe on TV. Matt Damon is so good in the role of head of the CIA -- such a stoic, expressionless, poker player of a fellow, as I well imagine someone in that very role might have to be.

We enjoy the different levels of the film, too, from the protagonist's days at Yale where he is inducted into Skull and Bones, to his marriage, and being drawn into the 'spy business' and what becomes the CIA, and the rationale behind it during the Cold War years.

Anyone else seen the film, and liked it? Is it based on an actual man's life? The character is Edward Wilson, but I assumed much of the story is a fictionalized account of the beginnings of the CIA.
I enjoyed it immensely..It was a bit long, though.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:41 AM

Default Did some homework. . .

True to me, myself, and I -- the three of us checked out a writing on The Good Shepherd at Wikipedia (good source of info, that place!), and indeed, Edward Wilson is based upon one of the first fellows associated with the CIA, as is de Niro's character (William J Donovan, a good friend of Roosevelt's at the time of the CIA's beginnings, the OSS). I cannot recall Wilson's 'counterpart,' but found it interesting that the actual man was slightly paranoid, neurotic -- the portrayal I picked up on in The Good Shepherd -- and was of Mexican descent (Wilson's mother).

Reading the account at Wikipedia helped clear-up a few minor things I misunderstood in the film -- great sysnopsis, but only if you have seen the film. Too much detail if you haven't. Wilson's wife intrigued me, too, but there was no mention of a real wife and son.

Wilson's character may have included smidgeons of that of the second head of the CIA, a fellow from a family of equally famous Dulles-es -- I think immediately of Dulles Airport. It is a statue of de Niro's character, Donovan (called 'Wild Bill' from his football playing days at his alma mater) that stands at the entrance to CIA Headquarters today. Another place to add to my must-see list of Washington, DC. Do they let average Joe America into the CIA, or do I need to know CIA?

Dag, just typing in "History of the CIA" at Google made me paranoid.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:23 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,746,107 times
Quote:

The character is loosely based on James Jesus Angleton, an odd and controversial figure if there ever was one.

There's an excellent article on Angleton in Harpers Monthly from the 1980s, subscribe to Harpers and you can access ALL their back issues going back to the 1800s.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
The character is loosely based on James Jesus Angleton, an odd and controversial figure if there ever was one.

There's an excellent article on Angleton in Harpers Monthly from the 1980s, subscribe to Harpers and you can access ALL their back issues going back to the 1800s.
Thanks much. From just the little research I conducted, and it online, I had the impression Angleton was an 'odd duck.' I was fascinated by Damon's portrayal of Edward Wilson -- first time I watched the film, I had to keep telling myself it was Matt Damon in the role -- and then to discover how well he did, alluding to Angleton's own paranoia and neuroses.

The film was so well-done -- held my attention the whole time. I was also intrigued with all of the levels of the story too.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:09 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,382,731 times
Quote:
Matt Damon is so good in the role of head of the CIA -- such a stoic, expressionless, poker player of a fellow,.
Sounds like it works for this film - too bad he is incapable of doing anything else with his acting in any role.
For the 50th time: Why is this man on the A-list??
I know that certain non-actors can be there based on their looks alone (Keanu) but Damon hasn't got too much going on in that department either.
Apparently people think he is a good actor - I am definitely missing something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies