Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 08:13 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,095,198 times

Advertisements

What are the best and worst of the Abbott and Costello films?

The only Abbott and Costello movies I've seen are

Hold That Ghost 10/10
Africa Screams 5/10
Meet the Killer Boris Karloff 7/10
Jack & the Beanstalk 5/10
Lost in Alaska 4/10
Meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde 7/10
Keystone Kops 7/10
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 09:26 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,141,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
What are the best and worst of the Abbott and Costello films?

The only Abbott and Costello movies I've seen are

Hold That Ghost 10/10
Africa Screams 5/10
Meet the Killer Boris Karloff 7/10
Jack & the Beanstalk 5/10
Lost in Alaska 4/10
Meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde 7/10
Keystone Kops 7/10
You missed the best one "Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein".
Hilarious!

Old 06-02-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
Hilarious!
I actually have "Frankenstein" on DVD but I haven't watched it yet, I definitely will sometime and I've heard many great things about that movie.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:11 PM

1,129 posts, read 2,698,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
Hilarious!

All of the above!!!!!!! "Hey....ABBBBBBBBBOTT!!!!!!

Absolutely love Abott and Costello movies!!!!!!!!

Old 10-16-2009, 07:33 AM

1 posts, read 16,289 times
abbott and costello what you think meet the killer and meet dr.jekyll and mr hyde your self i have the frankenstein it great let me know at elvis4346@aol.com thanks

Old 10-16-2009, 11:50 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,220,958 times
"The Naughty Nineties" 1945.This film has the best version of what,in my opinion,is the best comedy routine of all time,the immortal "Whos On First".

Old 10-19-2009, 12:15 AM

I've just seen "Meet Frankenstein" and "Who Done It" and I thought they were great movies, I give both of these movies a 9/10

Old 01-27-2012, 01:52 AM

I've just watched "Here Comes The Co-Eds" and I rank it up there with one of my top favorite Abbott & Costello movies, the musical numbers hurt the movie a little but the non musical scenes made up for it.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:08 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
When I was young they used to play Abbott and Costell movies every sunday on TV. I saw most of them, although there were a few they didn't play apparently.As an added bonus, on Saturdays they would play "The Bowery boys" and Laurel and Hardy films. good times.
Ones I liked: Abbot and Costello meet the Killers, Abbott and Costello meet the Monsters, Buck privates, Abbott and Costello in the navy, join the air force, Meet The Mummy and The Wistful Widow of Wagon Gap.
The one where they go to mars, Jack and The Beanstalk, The Invisible man and " Little Giant" and where Lou was a Ghost were kind of lame.
I watched their TV show when it was aired late nights and wrote a TV routine in my head they could have done. here goes:
Scene: Bud and Lou are sitting at the breakfast table and Bud's mad at Lou.
Bud: " Costello, I'm not talking to you this morning after that trick you pulled last evening. "
Lou: " I'm sorry, Abbot . I didn't mean it. How was I to know what would happen."
Bud: "You deliberately tried to get me beaten up. And after I was nice enough to go along with you to the baseball game. You'd have had to see the game alone if I didn't let you talk me into you buying a ticket for me."
Lou: And we had a SWELL time. Thats why I wanted to buy you a beer after the game. Don't be mad.
Bud: " So you wanted to buy me a beer. So you take me into a bar full of Yankees fans. You know I'm a Brooklyn Dodgers fan. They took one look at my Dodgers hat and I had to run 12 blocks to get away.
Lou: " I was only trying to be generous."
Bud: " Generous? How does my getting beat up make you generous?"
Lou: Well, they had a sign over the bar that says that for every tooth of a Dodgers fan you bring in you get a free beer."
Bud: "So?"
Lou: " So I thought if I brought you in there you could buy a round for the house."
" Bud: " What?! Why I.... Say, what is it with you and bars anyway? I should never let you come along with me to go to a bar. I still remember that time we had a job in one and you not only got us fired, but you got us thrown in jail , caused a riot and almost got the place closed down."
Lou: " Now that was NOT my fault . It was all because of that Stinky. That little trickster caused it all and here is what really happened."

::::::::Flashback to the 1940s::::::
Scene: A Bar, Bud and Lou are starting work, talking to the owner , a pretty bar maid is serving drinks, carrying trays, etc.
Bar owner: " Okay boys , now this is your first day. If you want to stay on permanently, you'll have to show me you can handle the job and get along with our customers.
Bud: " Not to worry, Mr. Kahl. We're the best the employment agency had and we'll work hard."
Lou: "Yeah, and Bud's been in bars all his life so he knows ALL about them."
Mr. Kahl: " Okay boys, fine. I'll be in the back taking inventory of that new shipment. Bud, you tend to the bar and pour the drinks for Alice ( the barmaid). Lou, you bus the tables and help serve if she needs help. And if anybody gets out of line, you toss them out. Okay?"
Bud: "Sure."
Lou. Yes, Sir."
Mr. Kahl leaves.
Bud settles in behind the bar and begins chatting with Alice as he pours some beers for her. Lou walks around and wipes down tables and looks over the customers. They seem to be mostly service men or tough guys.
At the end of the bar the phone rings. Bud keeps talking to Alice who is smiling and laughing with him.
Bud: "Lou, answer that phone. I'm busy here."
Lou walks over to the phone and picks it up. : "Kahl's Tavern, Lou Costello speaking."
Cut to a split screen and you see Stinky( Joe Besser) at a pay phone outside, smirking.
Stinky: " Hello, I'm looking for my twin brother who's there. Listen, get him for me, will ya? His last name is Chermans. Just say you want the Chermans twin."
Lou: "The Chermans twin? Okay. I'll ask around and see if he's here."
Lou goes over to a man sitting at a table in a trench coat with a hat down over his face.
Lou: "Hey mister, I want the Chermans Twin."
The man gets up , looks around cautiously, says " Yah? Das ist guut!" in a german accent and then gives Lou a quick "Heil Hitler" salute. He then quickly leaves.
Lou is puzzled and then turns to say something to Bud but then turns to another man walking past, a big burly guy.
Lou: " Hey Buddy, I want the Charmans twin."
man( visibly angry) : "What did you say?"
Lou: "I want the Chermans twin."
man: "That's what I thought you said. You little turncoat. You little brownshirt. We're over there fighting the nazis and we have your kind over here rooting against us.Why I oughta pound you but good." He begins shaking Lou and Lou begins shouting " ooop!"
He then dumps a beer over Lou's head and walks angrily away
Lou staggers over to the bar and Bud looks him over.
Bud; "Whats the matter with you, getting that man upset? Do you wnat to get us fired? Clean yourself up."
Lou, (flustered)": I.... a guy called and he said...
Bud listens to the phone and hangs up. " There's nobody on the line. Now quit clowning. He goes back to chatting with alice. Lou wipessome beer off his face with his towel and turns to go to a table.
The phone rings again.
Bud: "Answer the phone."
Lou hesitates but goes to the phone and picks it up. Again you see Stinky
on the other end, smirking.
Stinky: ( in a different voice)
"Excuse me sir. My son in law is down there and I need him to go home right away. Could you give him a message please?"
Lou: " A message?Okay if he's hear, I'll tell him.
Stinky" Okay he's in the service and wearing a uniform. You tell him that there was a fight at home and Maureen, thats his wife, has run away." Lou: " Therre wa s agfihght and maurenn has run away> Okay." Stinky laughs quietly.
Lou walks up to a big guy in a uniform.
Lou: "Are you in the service? "
Man: " It sure looks like it. What do you want, tubby?"
Lou: "There was a fight and Maureen's ran away."
man: "What? Listen you little wise guy. Marines don't run away from a fight. I don't see you signing up to join. I should break you in two for saying that." He begins to shake Lou and then dumps his beer over Lou's head and storms off. He says: " I'll be back with a couple of my pals and we'll tear this place apart if we find you here."
Lou upset, stagger sover to the bar and leans on it, trying to regain his compusre.
Bud: " Whats the matter? Why are you picking fights with these guys?"

To be Continued

Old 01-27-2012, 05:24 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,223,391 times
Mine are...

Time of Their Lives
Who Done It
Hold That Ghost
Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies