Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 09:39 PM

25,621 posts, read 17,364,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
.............There are many of the screen tests along with makeup, hair and costume tests and accent coaching (Clark Gable flatly refused to use an accent) on YouTube.
To this very day, we in the South make fun of Scarlet's accent...
"What evah shall I do?" is always said around here with wrist to forehead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2021, 11:04 AM

50,977 posts, read 24,467,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Considering it was 1939 when it was released I doubt that there was anything back then that could complete with it.
I remember when I went to GWTW for the first time -- in a theater -- probably the 1961 re-release when I was 12...my grandmother was horrified that a ticket cost 75 cents!

Old 04-21-2021, 02:19 PM

854 posts, read 783,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Agreed. I remember seeing the film for the first time - I was 16 and it was playing in my hometown's grand old movie house during a summer revival series. I'd read the book and thought Clark Gable would be perfect in the role - I was so excited!

But I was so disappointed. His performance was so wooden and his voice without expression. When I expressed my disappointment to my mom, she said "Clark Gable is a movie star, not an actor."

I don't know who else could have played Rhett. Hmmm ...

I'm not seeing that at all. Ashley, for instance, was weak, but evil?
Errol Flynn and William Powell were the only names I ever heard mentioned but since pretty much everybody wanted Gable, Selznick did whatever it took to get Gable, including getting him a divorce from his wife who had refused to sign the paperwork. I don’t think anyone else even got a screen test.

Old 04-22-2021, 07:53 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,453,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Agreed. I remember seeing the film for the first time - I was 16 and it was playing in my hometown's grand old movie house during a summer revival series. I'd read the book and thought Clark Gable would be perfect in the role - I was so excited!

But I was so disappointed. His performance was so wooden and his voice without expression. When I expressed my disappointment to my mom, she said "Clark Gable is a movie star, not an actor."

I don't know who else could have played Rhett. Hmmm ...

I'm not seeing that at all. Ashley, for instance, was weak, but evil?
Rhett had a different accent in the movie then everyone else, but it sounded refreshing I think, he felt more modern and out of place (in a good way).

Ashley was very evil, his weakness was only ever an excuse.

Old 04-22-2021, 07:57 AM

43,283 posts, read 18,419,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot001 View Post
Because the novel itself is world classic already. And the cast is elite too, representing Hollywood's golden era.
I had read the book first in school. Believe it or not it was on a summer reading list.
Then I saw the movie. And the movie so reflected the book.

I still re-read the book (it truly is a classic) and I have the DVD which I purchased some years go in fear of it disappearing do to social pressure.

Old 04-23-2021, 06:19 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,521,516 times
which movie is most profitable?
Sting costs 35 millions to make but gross 178 millions,you can watch it on AMZN now.
Ben Hur,Ten Commandment,Once upon a time in America,Dances with Wolf,Great Gatsby,Giant,Road to Perdition,Sting,Godfather,Doctor Zhivago,feel free to add more.
Giant in a way is just as good as Gone with the Wind without the background of Civil War.

Old 04-23-2021, 06:21 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,521,516 times
Some movies are referred to as hidden gems,Ask the Dust,Pascali Island
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies