Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 06:38 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,094,882 times

Advertisements

and they come across as cheesy and unimpressive to anyone who watches them as an adult?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2020, 06:46 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
The only thing good about the last 9 months is it will make us look hard at Hollywood content

Old 11-30-2020, 10:28 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,973,291 times
No, not necessarily.

A and B.......and then C.

A: I saw Poltergeist as a young adult, won a ticket from KHFI. Gremlins I saw a bit later and the thing about those flicks is that they had leads that one could fall in love with, follow them through other movies. I don't think I've ever seen The Goonies, that's with Robert Davi as a "good" guy right?, but I am sure it is somewhere in the library, waiting for its turn.

The thing with a lot of these movies is that you have to be willing to let your mind soar with the possibilities, with how far they want to take you in a few minutes. It is like Explorers (saw that in my mid 20s), a film that probably was overshadowed by another flick that I can't recall. Earth to Echo is a lot like Explorers, children who escape into the night when they are suppose to be home asleep........and I had so many fantasies in my bed like that, falling asleep to each night.

Which comes to B. B: Forward into the past as we return to the movies of our childhood, there abouts, to remember, to feel like that once again.

C: "All the old tricks in the Alpha quadrant are new here in the Delta quadrant.". If you have never seen it, don't know what everyone is talking about, then how can you be affected like other people are? I just did a review on Dragonfyre and looking at the IMDB comments, others are saying right and left how it is a ripoff of Lord of the Rings; well, I have never seen LotR so I would not recognize this and to me, the movie was a 10 as a fantasy get away in my life.

As things go, I rather saw it as a retelling of A New Hope where an old warrior (Luke/Han/Ben) hears a plea from a princess of a distant world (Leia) and taking the sword of the one before (the light saber of his father), goes to fight her enemies of an evil sorceress (Grand Mott), said evil one's dark servant dragon (Vader) and the army of dimwits (storm troopers) .......and yes, I was reminded of Ash, too!

So A and B of this. A: Edison said that there are only so many original stories and everything else is a retelling. B: If LotR is that famous movie that EVERYONE is using to judge such a flick like this against, what are the famous flicks that those slashing the movies of the title thread are using for the basis of comparison? What flicks are they using to say the ones in question are cheesy and unimpressive?

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 11-30-2020 at 10:41 PM..

Old 11-30-2020, 11:52 PM

20,634 posts, read 4,415,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
are Poltergeist. Gremlins, and The Goonies prime examples of movies you have to watch as a kid to really like?

and they come across as cheesy and unimpressive to anyone who watches them as an adult?
No

The Goonies is fun to watch anytime you want to relax and think what if. Sure it may be cheesy, but it's a fun movie to enjoy.

Gremlins is a great break during Christmas. When your sick of those touchy/feely shows, you gotta what Gizmo.

As for Poltergeist, I haven't watched that in years. I never got around to watching again.

Old 12-01-2020, 08:00 AM

729 posts, read 532,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
The only thing good about the last 9 months is it will make us look hard at Hollywood content
Amen.

Old 12-01-2020, 09:03 AM

5,457 posts, read 8,173,150 times
I was an adult when I first saw The Goonies, and I liked it. Nowhere near as good as Stand by Me, though.

Old 12-01-2020, 10:29 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,256,756 times
RE: Poltergeist. Saw it when I was a kid, and even then, I didn't find it particularly scary. It's a supernatural adventure film. But horror? No. It isn't nearly scary enough to be a horror movie. I can enjoy it as a popcorn flick as an adult. But I'd never consider it a classic.

RE: Gremlins. Saw it when I was a kid. I rewatch it at least once a year. So much fun. Is it a horror movie? Again, no. It's a comedy. It's more cute than scary.

RE: The Goonies. That's a movie I enjoy less as an adult. It's very much a kids movie. I think I have largely outgrown it.

Old 12-01-2020, 11:31 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
I still enjoy watching Poltergeist occasionally. I think it's in a very different category than Gremlins and The Goonies.

Old 12-02-2020, 05:28 AM

20,634 posts, read 4,415,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
RE: The Goonies. That's a movie I enjoy less as an adult. It's very much a kids movie. I think I have largely outgrown it.
Who can outgrow Sloth??

"Mama, you've been bad!!! Break!! Fall!!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qIi9zeMLJ0

Old 12-02-2020, 07:52 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,620,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I still enjoy watching Poltergeist occasionally. I think it's in a very different category than Gremlins and The Goonies.
Indeed. Poltergeist is nearly a masterclass in characterization. A horror/suspense film with amazing atmosphere and music, (at one point, it sounds/feels like the house is alive and growling noises come from all directions). These were characters you really were invested in and genuinely were afraid for and wanted to protect (well..maybe Robbie should have just been eaten by the tree lol! j/k).

The other 2 movies I kinda consider like standard fare..I liked Critters over gremlins (especially because of the staples..haha if you saw critters you know what i mean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies