Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2020, 07:47 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times

Advertisements

In the 90s, I think, there was a commercial where a sweaty and tired traveling salesman comes into the motel in the middle of nowhere and the clerk, a practically teen girl who never raises her eyes from the paperback she is reading tells him, "We have every movie ever made on all times of the day.".

At the time, when I was doing plenty of research, I was picturing it as "We have every article ever published available in every language."..............

..........but what if there were such a movie choice? Sure, there was MST3K but that was just the cheesy flicks. A grand warehouse of, for example, of all the spaghetti barbarian flicks or all the vampire flicks or all the spaghetti westerns or the like?

Is there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2020, 09:58 AM

729 posts, read 532,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
In the 90s, I think, there was a commercial where a sweaty and tired traveling salesman comes into the motel in the middle of nowhere and the clerk, a practically teen girl who never raises her eyes from the paperback she is reading tells him, "We have every movie ever made on all times of the day.".

At the time, when I was doing plenty of research, I was picturing it as "We have every article ever published available in every language."..............

..........but what if there were such a movie choice? Sure, there was MST3K but that was just the cheesy flicks. A grand warehouse of, for example, of all the spaghetti barbarian flicks or all the vampire flicks or all the spaghetti westerns or the like?

Is there?
No there is not such a movie choice. Several movies ("Convention City" for one - early 1930's) are forever lost for one reason or another. Others are too damaged or incomplete as to be unwatchable.

Old 10-04-2020, 08:35 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,707,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHair View Post
No there is not such a movie choice. Several movies ("Convention City" for one - early 1930's) are forever lost for one reason or another. Others are too damaged or incomplete as to be unwatchable.
Not just 'several' - many films are gone forever. Also, as you note, some exist only in fragments or with significant damage. The vast majority of silent films are believed to be lost. The list of films documented to be lost runs in the thousands.

Old 10-06-2020, 07:15 AM

1,386 posts, read 999,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

Is there?
I remember the commercial. It wasn't from the 90s--it was from the 201Xs....

And I think we're there now, or very close. I have Comcast cable, and I have a voice remote control. I can say the name of virtually any movie, and Comcast will present me an opportunity to watch that movie. It's not always free. Sometimes it is (or part of a package I already pay for, like HBO (on demand) or Netflix). Or sometimes it's available, on demand, for a fee, from the studio. But very rarely does Comcast not present me with an opportunity to watch the movie I'm thinking of.

Sure, the are movies that aren't available. Older movies, silent movies, etc...and yes, some movies are lost to time. But I think we are very close to the point where the vast majority of movies and TV shows will be instantly available.

You mentioned MST3K. I'm a huge fan. I can say "MST3K" into my remote, and all 10 seasons will pop up as available for me to watch on tubi. For free. Not all episodes are available from every season, but most are. And if I can't find the episode I want on tubi, I can sure as heck find it on YouTube.

So, yep. We're there. Ain't technology great?

--

Old 10-06-2020, 01:25 PM

6,980 posts, read 2,703,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Not just 'several' - many films are gone forever. Also, as you note, some exist only in fragments or with significant damage. The vast majority of silent films are believed to be lost. The list of films documented to be lost runs in the thousands.
What about movies that the owner REFUSE to allow to be watched? example "Cotton Candy" starring Ron Howard.

Old 10-06-2020, 04:08 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,804,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
What about movies that the owner REFUSE to allow to be watched? example "Cotton Candy" starring Ron Howard.
Ron Howard's Cotton Candy DVD

Old 10-06-2020, 05:54 PM

6,980 posts, read 2,703,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Ron Howard said in an interview years ago that that movie was locked in his home never to be seen again. I guess he changed his mind.

How about Disney's "Song of the South"?

Old 10-07-2020, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
That's an old, vintage copy. The site you provided said the movie is OOP. It appears that the Ron Howard still has no interest in rereleasing it. That is if it's up to him--if he owns the rights. Interesting--I'd never even heard of that movie.

--

Old 10-07-2020, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
How about Disney's "Song of the South"?
Song of the South will never again see the light of day.

--

Old 10-07-2020, 12:12 PM

10,355 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHair View Post
And not just that. There are so many competing streaming services now, and subscribing to all of them is impractical. So you may not be able to see Movie X unless you sign up for Streaming Service Y, because Streaming Service Y is currently the only one that has the rights to stream that film. (This stands in stark contrast to DVDs and Blu-Rays, which allow the creation of rental libraries containing content from many different studios. Or theaters - we'd find it very odd is one movie theater played only films from Universal Studios, and the other one at the opposite end of town only films from New Line Cinemas. But more are more streaming services are operating like that.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies