Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 01:15 PM

19,771 posts, read 20,357,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
She should have retired long ago, instead of making a fool of herself desperately trying to stay relevant. This "movie" is not going to help matters.
I agree.

I love her music from the 80s/90s... (Ray Of Light was her last hit song, imo. It was a wrap after '98.)

Now she really just creeps me out and I no longer have tolerance for this level of celebrity weirdness.

Her face/body is all jacked up from plastic surgery, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2020, 11:53 PM

2,076 posts, read 1,656,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
I'll just double down on the ladder between "involvement" and "control."

I have significant experience doing biographical writing on subjects who either wrote autobiographies or had a lot of control over an authorized bio. Even with the intent to be honest and tell all and so forth, they can't help steering it the way they saw it, which often leads to distortion, omission and even complete (honest?) fabrication.

As the fabulous "Radio Flyer" begins... "This may not be the way it happened, but it's the way I remember it."

I can't see this project being anything but the way she saw it... which could be fabulous, but it's not going to be accurate. Another wonderful fabulation like both her and Bowie's iterations of character.
That's a good point about historical objectivity. A lot of us 80s teens were fans of Madonna back in her heyday of the mid 80s. For those who criticize her "voice" just know that Madonna excelled on vocals in the era before computerized AutoTune software was developed (unlike many of today's "singers").

One thing that surprised me about Madonna was that she apparently dated many black men - not just light-skinned like Prince but much darker men. In the 80s, that was an ultra-severe social taboo. I literally saw a couple of klansmen assault a black-white couple in a midwestern mall around 1987. There had to be racial tension, resentment, perhaps even fights when she went out interracially - especially in the early to mid 80s. I wonder if the biopic would show realism on that part? On one dimension, racist white men back then would have resented it. On the other side, black women often resented it too. Sociologically, such white men were blatantly racist against black male/white female couples. But the black women complained about colorism - black men rejecting black women to be with white women. I can't imagine Madonna not receiving backlash at that time, especially in the segregated neighborhoods of those East Coast cities. Her black boyfriends no doubt also got complaints from black women about colorism.
For example, she dated this guy from the "Blondie" video who played Fab Five Freddy. He was a Jamaican by the name of Jean-Michel Basquiat - RIP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHCdS7O248g

https://culturacolectiva.com/art/the...a-and-basquiat

The indigenous teens I knew in Northern NM didn't care she had dated interracially. Like me, they just enjoyed her music. But for many young white males at the time it would have been an ultimate blasphemy to see them out in public - especially with Jean-Michel having a much darker Jamaican complexion. Some Generation X people often dayfream about going back to the "great 1980s". But as a real 80s teen, I can attest to the fact that racial tension against interracial couples was much worse back then.

Old 09-18-2020, 06:02 AM

22,956 posts, read 28,379,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
Some Generation X people often dayfream about going back to the "great 1980s". But as a real 80s teen, I can attest to the fact that racial tension against interracial couples was much worse back then.
Dayfream. Heh. That definitely sounds like something from the '80s. "And now, with new and improved DAYFREAM!"

While it's certainly true people were less afraid of being openly racist back in the '80s, my experience wasn't quite as bleak as yours. I grew up in a tiny town in eastern New Mexico, where the population was about half white and half Hispanic, with a healthy flavoring of other folks thanks to the university.

In my generation, no one really cared about inter-racial dating. My peers did it all the time, and no one batted an eye at it. What you rarely saw was mingling of the classes. Rich kids never dated poor kids and vice versa. In terms of class, everyone "stuck with their own," but in terms of skin color or whether your last name ended in a vowel or a consonant ... no one cared.

Old 09-18-2020, 12:04 PM

19,771 posts, read 20,357,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
That's a good point about historical objectivity. A lot of us 80s teens were fans of Madonna back in her heyday of the mid 80s. For those who criticize her "voice" just know that Madonna excelled on vocals in the era before computerized AutoTune software was developed (unlike many of today's "singers").

One thing that surprised me about Madonna was that she apparently dated many black men - not just light-skinned like Prince but much darker men. In the 80s, that was an ultra-severe social taboo. I literally saw a couple of klansmen assault a black-white couple in a midwestern mall around 1987. There had to be racial tension, resentment, perhaps even fights when she went out interracially - especially in the early to mid 80s. I wonder if the biopic would show realism on that part? On one dimension, racist white men back then would have resented it. On the other side, black women often resented it too. Sociologically, such white men were blatantly racist against black male/white female couples. But the black women complained about colorism - black men rejecting black women to be with white women. I can't imagine Madonna not receiving backlash at that time, especially in the segregated neighborhoods of those East Coast cities. Her black boyfriends no doubt also got complaints from black women about colorism.
For example, she dated this guy from the "Blondie" video who played Fab Five Freddy. He was a Jamaican by the name of Jean-Michel Basquiat - RIP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHCdS7O248g

https://culturacolectiva.com/art/the...a-and-basquiat

The indigenous teens I knew in Northern NM didn't care she had dated interracially. Like me, they just enjoyed her music. But for many young white males at the time it would have been an ultimate blasphemy to see them out in public - especially with Jean-Michel having a much darker Jamaican complexion. Some Generation X people often dayfream about going back to the "great 1980s". But as a real 80s teen, I can attest to the fact that racial tension against interracial couples was much worse back then.
The artist? Wow! Never knew the 2 of them dated. He's a brilliantly famous artist, so I guess I'm not surprised they crossed paths, esp both of them being in the NYC art/music scene.

He's Haitian & Puerto Rican, tho. Born in the USA. lol

Old 10-10-2020, 09:31 AM

512 posts, read 323,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I agree.

I love her music from the 80s/90s... (Ray Of Light was her last hit song, imo. It was a wrap after '98.)

You mean the last good song she had? I know, I know...maybe I am nitcpicking, but technically, her last hit song was 2012's Give Me All Your Luvin', which actually hit the top ten of Billboard's Hot 100. That was literally Madonna's last time in the top ten (and the song gave her the lead as the artist with the most top ten hits in the history of Billboard. 38 top ten hits. And yes, that is more top ten hits than Elvis and the Beatles.

As for the rest of your post, I absolutely agree: Madonna used to make enjoyable music, and her image, though abrasive and in-your-face still had a playful, wink-wink quality to it.
Now she is just too much with her try-hard "I am an artist" bull**** and her insufferable diva crap.

Her last album, Madame X, was the very first Madonna album I have actively HATED. It was so bad, so ridiculously devoid of joy, so full of itself. It was just a vanity project in which she decided to create the most "politically conscious" music ever, but an album in which she forgot to add any great melodies, hooks, or beats. It was just horrible.

Old 10-10-2020, 11:02 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,218,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post
Her last album, Madame X, was the very first Madonna album I have actively HATED. It was so bad, so ridiculously devoid of joy, so full of itself. It was just a vanity project in which she decided to create the most "politically conscious" music ever, but an album in which she forgot to add any great melodies, hooks, or beats. It was just horrible.
My takeaway here is that you hated her politics so much you couldn't hear the music.

Not that I can name three Madonna songs, and none from the last two-plus decades.

Old 10-10-2020, 08:59 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,562,939 times
Did I see that Madonna is a Trumper? That moves her to my black list.......

Old 10-11-2020, 12:05 PM

5,493 posts, read 8,227,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
She should have retired long ago, instead of making a fool of herself desperately trying to stay relevant. This "movie" is not going to help matters.

Old 10-17-2020, 08:28 PM

33,335 posts, read 12,645,784 times
Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
I'll just double down on the ladder between "involvement" and "control."

I have significant experience doing biographical writing on subjects who either wrote autobiographies or had a lot of control over an authorized bio. Even with the intent to be honest and tell all and so forth, they can't help steering it the way they saw it, which often leads to distortion, omission and even complete (honest?) fabrication.

As the fabulous "Radio Flyer" begins... "This may not be the way it happened, but it's the way I remember it."

I can't see this project being anything but the way she saw it... which could be fabulous, but it's not going to be accurate. Another wonderful fabulation like both her and Bowie's iterations of character.
A friend of mine graduated from the same high school (Rochester Adams High School) and dated Madonna’s sister when they were in high school. I’ll be interested to see how much the finished movie jives with what my friend told me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies