Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 01:00 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,581,566 times

Advertisements

I watched the original last night, it was pretty good, but Im confused on the ending and premise of the movie...

STOP HERE IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO READ SPOILERS.

When she goes into the bedroom within the mens association facility, and her 'double' is there in the room, she has solid black eyes, which makes me think it was a demon...but I was under the impression, the whole plot of this movie, was these men were creating robotic wives (animatronics so to speak), there are a few incidents thru out the movie where some of the wives 'short circuit', and begin doing things over and over, like a robot malfunctioning, and even when she stabs her friend, there is no blood.

Question is, were the Stepford wives demonic or robotic/androids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2020, 01:04 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,196,559 times
In the book, it was part of the horror that you never really knew if there were "replacements" of any kind or if it was just the viewpoint character going nuts. Right to the last page.

The implication was that they were robotic — remember that one of the husbands had worked on Disney animatronics. I think there was a computer/AI guy in there somewhere, too.

The movie putzed it up by making it clear, at the end, that they were replacements and were robotic or something quite like that. The black eyes are... just nonsense, really. Spooky-ooky to clue the clueless viewer.

Then, of course, the sequel, maybe one of the TV movies, made it that there were no replacements, just that the women had been brainwashed/programmed into being, well, Stepford wives.

Read the book. Forget the movie versions.

Old 08-27-2020, 05:30 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,655,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
In the book, it was part of the horror that you never really knew if there were "replacements" of any kind or if it was just the viewpoint character going nuts. Right to the last page.

The implication was that they were robotic — remember that one of the husbands had worked on Disney animatronics. I think there was a computer/AI guy in there somewhere, too.

The movie putzed it up by making it clear, at the end, that they were replacements and were robotic or something quite like that. The black eyes are... just nonsense, really. Spooky-ooky to clue the clueless viewer.

Then, of course, the sequel, maybe one of the TV movies, made it that there were no replacements, just that the women had been brainwashed/programmed into being, well, Stepford wives.

Read the book. Forget the movie versions.
I disagree. I thought it was always perfectly clear that they were robots.

Old 08-27-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I disagree. I thought it was always perfectly clear that they were robots.
In the movie, yes. In the book, no. In the sequel, decidedly not.

Levin's novel is a horror story in which you never learn if the viewpoint character is really seeing these changes in her friends or just cracking up.

Old 08-28-2020, 01:29 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,762,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
In the movie, yes. In the book, no. In the sequel, decidedly not.

Levin's novel is a horror story in which you never learn if the viewpoint character is really seeing these changes in her friends or just cracking up.
Sort of like The Turn of the Screw.

Old 08-28-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Sort of like The Turn of the Screw.
Like many stories.

Spoiler
In the end, the viewpoint character (whose name utterly escapes me) has locked herself in a bathroom and They — the men — are coming for her. Whether to replace her with a robot or gently take her away to the funny farm is left unanswered.

Old 08-28-2020, 07:26 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,762,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

STOP HERE IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO READ SPOILERS.

Question is, were the Stepford wives demonic or robotic/androids?
Robot. Isn't there a scene where one of them accidentally stabs one of the stepford wives with a knife & instead of bleeding, she just goes back & forth, repeating herself like a malfunctioning robot or toy.

Old 08-30-2020, 10:17 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,581,566 times
The black eyes thing confused me, typically in movies, that is a demon, but I guess the poster above is right, it was just done to be spooky. I also noticed her replacement had much larger breasts too. LOL

Old 08-30-2020, 07:50 PM

4,026 posts, read 2,712,143 times
I'd gotten the impression somewhere that the black eyes were because the husband really loved his wife's eyes, and that was the one part of the replacement they were having trouble getting right?

Old 08-31-2020, 09:19 PM

1,937 posts, read 701,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The black eyes thing confused me, typically in movies, that is a demon, but I guess the poster above is right, it was just done to be spooky. I also noticed her replacement had much larger breasts too. LOL
I'm guessing it was intentional to have Katherine Ross go braless in many scenes so the difference at the
end was quite "pronounced." Designed by Male.

Us gals always needed a "Stepford Husbands" type movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies