Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 05:41 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,219,806 times

Advertisements

The 1980’s metal head in me believes that making a kick ass Satanic movie should be the easiest thing in the world. Yet time and again I find myself watching a movie involving Satanism only to find it sucks ass. Like Al Adamson. If you watch an Al Adamson movie it is already guaranteed to suck ass. Then you throw an inherently interesting topic in their like Satanism and it just ups the level of suckage. I never realized Satanism could be so boring and mundane until I saw some of Adamson’s work.

Okay Ted V. Mikels might give Adamson a run for his money.

Anyway, what are some actually good/great movies about Satanism? Other than some obvious ones. Like Rosemary’s Baby is a pretty big one. The Devil Rides Out is pretty awesome and considerably less known (though well known to Hammer fans).

A little off topic but what made me think of this is the Hammer House of Horror episode Guardians of the Abyss. I found it to be one of the weaker offerings of the series. So it made me reflect that while I go into these with somewhat high expectations I am rarely left satisfied. On the TV end of things there is also the season 3 premiere of Night Gallery which as far as I can recall is the only time Rod Serling and Vincent Price collaborated in any capacity. It’s a roughly 30 minute long episode which helps. I enjoyed it, but I think a big part of that was the novelty of 4 things I enjoy (Serling, Price, Night Gallery, and Satanism as a Story Device) all being mixed together rather than the episode on its own merits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 06:06 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,924,275 times
Recent movie The Witch written and directed by Robert Eggers
Scary

Old 07-28-2020, 01:43 AM

13,584 posts, read 15,680,544 times
I liked The Ninth Gate when it was new, though I haven't seen it since.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:20 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,001,924 times
I thought John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness was excellent.

--

Old 07-28-2020, 11:30 AM

3,320 posts, read 4,135,645 times
Some of the better demonic spirit/possession movies, Poltergeist, The Entity, The Exorcist, The Amityville Horror, the Hellraiser series of films.

I think The Omen parts 1,2,3 best captures the struggle between the dark prince and the church, with lots of biblical references. The story of Damien is quite the masterpiece, and the ending to part 3 is awesome. Lots of interesting players on both teams, the father changing sides to try and destroy him, the evil housekeeper nanny lady, his poor mother in denial, whom pays the price for it. The son of satan must be destroyed, Damien has his protectors, but also has a judas among his apostles, whom betrays him. Damien's evil powers are captivating, the crows see for him, the dogs kill for him, he's good at history, plays naughty with cars and trains, he has the 666 mark of the beast on his head, he's not a poser.

Old 07-28-2020, 12:03 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,510,092 times
The Conjuring 1 & 2 and Insidious are good. I watched a movie on Netflix called the Vatican Tapes and was pretty good. The Annabelle movies are good too.

Old 08-02-2020, 03:37 AM

6,157 posts, read 4,536,101 times
Race With the Devil from 1975
Deliver Us from Evil 2014

Old 08-02-2020, 04:03 AM

567 posts, read 679,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I liked The Ninth Gate when it was new, though I haven't seen it since.
I bought this movie. Director Roman Polanski actually married the leading lady who played satan. One of the most hilarious scenes I ever saw in a satanic movie was when she was driving the Lambo dressed in Arab head-gear, although it is not a comedy. Another satanic movie I bought and watch over again is called "Lost Souls" with beautiful Winona Ryder in the lead.

Last edited by glenninindy; 08-02-2020 at 04:37 AM..

Old 08-02-2020, 05:12 PM

5,072 posts, read 2,185,669 times
More of a Documentary film than a movie but "Hail Satan" sure was good!

Old 08-05-2020, 07:11 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,198,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenninindy View Post
I bought this movie. Director Roman Polanski actually married the leading lady who played satan. One of the most hilarious scenes I ever saw in a satanic movie was when she was driving the Lambo dressed in Arab head-gear, although it is not a comedy.
The Nith Gate is pretty funny at times. I think it is meant to be a satirical mystery thriller.

The red car is actually a Dodge Viper, but maybe a Lamborghini Diablo Roadster would have more fitting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies