Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2020, 12:03 PM

23,238 posts, read 29,080,592 times

Advertisements

When I watch a movie and the actor(s) seem to be too natural for the role, or enjoying it too much, it really makes me wonder, and, in many cases, it can send chills down my spine. Is this actor acting out a fantasy they've always had?

I just watched Juliette Lewis in Kalifornia, and some time ago, in Born to Kill (with Woody Harrelson), and in both movies, she plays the girlfriend of a serial killer. And Brad Pitt and Woody Harrelson seem to play the roles so naturally, or, as a fantasy?

It really makes me wonder! Perhaps they didn't have to put any effort into those roles?

How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2020, 06:14 AM

22,931 posts, read 28,306,592 times
Ha! I hope that is a sign of good acting rather than Juliette secretly having a serial killer fetish.

My all-time favorite acting performances:

Margot Martindale as Mags Bennet on TV's JUSTIFIED.

Bryan Cranston in just about everything he has been in, but particular shout-outs to Hal in MALCOLM IN THE MIDDLE, Walter White in BREADING BAD, and LBJ in ALL THE WAY.

Rutger Hauer as Roy Batty in BLADE RUNNER.

Al Pacino as Michael Corleone in THE GODFATHER.

Malcolm McDowell as Alex in A CLOCKWORK ORANGE.

Gene Wilder as Frederick Frankenstein in YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN.

Anthony Hopkins and Jodie Foster as Hannibal Lecter and Clarice Starling in SILENCE OF THE LAMBS.

Robert DeNiro as Travis Bickle in TAXI DRIVER.

Anthony Perkins as Norman Bates in PSYCHO. Still the most sympathetic downright likeable maniac of all time!

Eli Wallach as Tuco in THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY.

But there is still no context for the ultimate triumvirate of Roy Scheider, Robert Shaw, and Richard Dreyfuss as the heroes of JAWS.

Old 06-08-2020, 06:17 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,128,504 times
snip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Walter White in BREADING BAD
end snip

Not Walter 5 grain?

smile!

Old 06-08-2020, 07:32 AM

22,931 posts, read 28,306,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
snip end snip

Not Walter 5 grain?

smile!
It's the new BREAKING BAD / BAKING SHOW spin-off starring Bryan Cranston and Paul Hollywood.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:14 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,206,326 times
Ha. A while back I diddled the Breaking Bad title card into "Baking Bread." My ex was a fan of the show and a daily bread baker.

I wonder if I still have it around here...

Old 06-08-2020, 11:07 AM

26,760 posts, read 26,863,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I just watched Juliette Lewis in Kalifornia, and some time ago, in Born to Kill (with Woody Harrelson), and in both movies, she plays the girlfriend of a serial killer.
Lewis hopes that people believe she takes risks when taking on acting roles. She just played a grad student in HBO’s “I Know This Much is True.” (Adapted from Wally Lamb's book.)

Q: You’ve been in dozens of films and TV shows dating back to the 1980s, yet you always manage to choose unique roles.

Lewis: My hope is that I’m never playing the same person, but you’re always left with the same feeling like, “Oh, that was a Juliette Lewis role. Only she could play that!” Not so [laughs], but I’m glad if you read it that way. It’s about making daring choices or art.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...ch-is-true-hbo

Old 06-08-2020, 04:39 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,880,453 times
Gary Oldman:
Dracula
Lee Harvey Oswald

Old 06-08-2020, 07:36 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,696,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
When I watch a movie and the actor(s) seem to be too natural for the role, or enjoying it too much, it really makes me wonder, and, in many cases, it can send chills down my spine. Is this actor acting out a fantasy they've always had?

I just watched Juliette Lewis in Kalifornia, and some time ago, in Born to Kill (with Woody Harrelson), and in both movies, she plays the girlfriend of a serial killer. And Brad Pitt and Woody Harrelson seem to play the roles so naturally, or, as a fantasy?

It really makes me wonder! Perhaps they didn't have to put any effort into those roles? How about you?

No. Never.

It certainly happens that an actor is so good that you might wonder if it's "for real" (such as people wondering whether Leonardo DiCaprio was really retarded in Gilbert Grape), and I think an actor might love living the fantasy of playing a king, but no, I don't attribute any such dark criminal fantasies to actors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies