Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 03:25 PM

9,326 posts, read 4,208,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Full analysis:

https://deadline.com/2020/06/unaffor...st-1202948071/

The takeway: Big budget blockbuster "tentpole" movies will still likely run in theaters for 90 days before you can see them On Demand or DVD. But mid-list movies? They'll be lucky to be in theaters for 30 days. Low budget movies? They may no longer even run in theaters, going straight to video.
Seems to me that this has mostly already been the case for a long time. Movies don't have a chance if they don't hit it big immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2020, 03:32 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,264,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"Proud Robot" is a Kuttner work..."
Frack. I typed Kuttner and it came out Horrible Harry.

Next I'll be saying "The Green Hills of Earth" is a CL Moore story...

Quote:
Pirated film, to the best of my knowledge, never played to audiences of any size. The money was in the distribution of the illicit video tapes. Few people would put up with the requirements of having a real pay-for-admission home theatre for more than a showing or two, especially considering social distancing.
I just found/find it prescient in so many ways. For all the details it got wrong, it got a lot of social-future notions right. And who can not like a story with a line like "'Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging.' Pardon me; I rage."

Old 06-02-2020, 04:05 PM

23,725 posts, read 71,198,436 times
Would to have been in their inner circle. The conversations and debates must have been fantastic.

"Green Hills... " used to be a favorite of mine. You know your classics. Poul Andersen's "Boat of a Million Years" has some meat, and more recently "Hyperion" has one of the best two page exposes on communication and writing that was ever hidden in humor and metaphor. I wish that the thought provoking sci-fi translated into movies better. Hogbens might have worked, "Cities in Flight" would have had some fantastic CGI, but would have been hard pressed to do too much social expose.

We have another couple of years to figure out what dystopian future awaits. It would be interesting if high contagion and morbidity sent parts of humanity into a Matrix-like world for safety. More likely, ... ... ... well that would be telling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies