Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 07:24 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,447,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletraveller View Post
I feel the same way about Leaving Las Vegas. A very good movie that I never want to see again.
Agree....Monster was kind of in the same vein - self destruction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 07:39 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,147,718 times
I don't have too many because I generally avoid any movie that I think I might find disturbing (like most of the ones mentioned in this thread that I've never seen)

The Exorcist
The Visit
The Grifters (I don't know particularly why this one. None of the subject matter was particularly out there compared to others but it left me with a really awful, creepy feeling that I couldn't shake for days. I've actually brought it up in convos over the yrs and found I am definitely not the only one)

Old 05-27-2020, 08:07 AM

28,711 posts, read 18,891,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
DELIVERANCE is a masterpiece. It might be Burt Reynolds's best performance as an actor. But yes, it is quite disturbing.

Yeah, it probably was Reynold's best performance.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:06 AM

22,953 posts, read 28,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Yeah, it probably was Reynold's best performance.
Reynolds made several good movies in the '70s --- and even when the movies weren't so good, he was great in them.

Then in the '80s he torpedoed his own career, starring in bad movie after bad movie after bad movie. He got a reputation as a bad actor. He wasn't. It was the scripts that were terrible.

Then in the '90s things started to change for him. Ever seen STRIPTEASE? It is a crap-tacular movie, but Reynolds is fantastic in it. He was also great in Boogie Nights (another very disturbing movie) and Mystery, Alaska.

Reynolds was a genuine movie start and a great actor, but his bad movies definitely out-number the good ones.

Old 05-28-2020, 08:19 AM

32,181 posts, read 34,858,798 times
There absolutely no movies I find terrifying. None at all. There are movies I find to be disturbing, however, and The Talented Mr. Ripley is near the top of the list.

Another is Oldboy by Chan-wook Park. This is a movie that's hard to get out of your head once you've seen it.

Old 05-29-2020, 05:23 AM

10,887 posts, read 4,405,948 times
I like the shook movies, my favorite films of all-time-
Black Swan (2010)
Closer (2004)
Monster (2003)
Scarface (1983)
Street Smart (1987)
The Deliberate Stranger: The Ted Bundy Story (1986)

Some of those shook me in some way, especially "Monster".
"Black Swan" too was a shook kind of film.
"Closer" did too in a more subtle way, thoughtful type of way.

Old 05-30-2020, 01:44 PM

29,226 posts, read 22,459,664 times
I couldn't watch "Ravenous", a Western that had a horror theme I didn't know about, for more than 10 minutes before it disturbed me so much I had to turn it off.

25 years later, I forgot I had seen it before, and didn't last for more than 10 minutes a second time.

That second time disturbed me even more than the first. Part of that must have been the slow realization I was repeating a bad mistake.

But the movie that disturbed me the most that I watched all the way through was "Dumbo".
I saw it when it first came out. I was a little kid, but old enough to go alone to a matinee.

The opening scene in Dumbo made me think it was going to be a fun movie, but in short order it turned into the worst case of animal abuse ever filmed.
As a small child, naturally I identified with Dumbo, so all the abuse the baby elephant suffered was something I thought could happen to me. When Dumbo's mother was chained and she was so desperately trying to keep her baby, it scared me to death.

I would have left if I could, but I had been dropped off, and my parents were off shopping. They wouldn't be back to pick me up until the movie was over, so I just stayed in my seat. Every scene in that movie was more cruel than the one before, and I was wretched by the time it ended.

To this day I have never tried to re-watch it, and I never let my kids watch it (though they may have, at friend's houses.)

A few years later, Alice In Wonderland had a similar effect on me, but not as much. Alice and the rest creeped me out, while the Queen of Hearts did scare me. I was sure I was going to watch some heads cut off, something I sure didn't want to see. Everything else was just disorienting and nasty-feeling.

Last edited by banjomike; 05-30-2020 at 02:13 PM..

Old 05-30-2020, 02:17 PM

7,245 posts, read 4,579,978 times
Threads,

Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer,

Nocturnal Animals.

Old 05-31-2020, 06:55 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,269,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I couldn't watch "Ravenous", a Western that had a horror theme I didn't know about, for more than 10 minutes before it disturbed me so much I had to turn it off.

25 years later, I forgot I had seen it before, and didn't last for more than 10 minutes a second time.

That second time disturbed me even more than the first. Part of that must have been the slow realization I was repeating a bad mistake.

But the movie that disturbed me the most that I watched all the way through was "Dumbo".
I saw it when it first came out. I was a little kid, but old enough to go alone to a matinee.

The opening scene in Dumbo made me think it was going to be a fun movie, but in short order it turned into the worst case of animal abuse ever filmed.
As a small child, naturally I identified with Dumbo, so all the abuse the baby elephant suffered was something I thought could happen to me. When Dumbo's mother was chained and she was so desperately trying to keep her baby, it scared me to death.

I would have left if I could, but I had been dropped off, and my parents were off shopping. They wouldn't be back to pick me up until the movie was over, so I just stayed in my seat. Every scene in that movie was more cruel than the one before, and I was wretched by the time it ended.

To this day I have never tried to re-watch it, and I never let my kids watch it (though they may have, at friend's houses.)

A few years later, Alice In Wonderland had a similar effect on me, but not as much. Alice and the rest creeped me out, while the Queen of Hearts did scare me. I was sure I was going to watch some heads cut off, something I sure didn't want to see. Everything else was just disorienting and nasty-feeling.
The cannibal movie. It was ok, but you know me, Mike, nothing shocks me.
They actually did a remake but the setting was in Quebec (I believe).

Not sure I ever watched Dumbo.

Old 05-31-2020, 09:25 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,082,763 times
The Shining - Jack Nicholson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRnvalwBhy8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies