Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 07:55 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,310,742 times

Advertisements

Man, we'd miss out on a lot of good movies if we didn't watch anything produced by Harvey Weinstein anymore.

Reservoir Dogs
Pulp Fiction
Scream
Good Will Hunting
Lord of the Rings trilogy
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
The Aviator
Kill Bill vol 1 & 2
Silver Linings Playbook
Paddington
Lion

The full list (obviously not all of them are good, but a lot of them are):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvey...ed_filmography
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 12:47 PM

50,975 posts, read 24,467,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
And...

gosh...

just maybe...

that's why...

no one will book him.

Making...

him...

blacklisted in the exact sense of the word.

You seem to be interpreting it as "somehow unfairly locked out for ideological reasons," which is at most a minor and not very accurate definition of the word.

To blacklist someone means they ain't welcome - at the party, in the group, in the clubhouse, in the industry.

Spacey has been completely and probably permanently blacklisted.

But by all means, correct the definition if you like.
Well, here's the definition I'm using: "Blacklisting is the action of a group or authority, compiling a blacklist (or black list) of people, countries or other entities to be avoided or distrusted as not being acceptable to those making the list". I see it as pejorative. You don't. That's life. People don't always have to agree.

Old 05-22-2020, 12:49 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,211,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, here's the definition I'm using: "Blacklisting is the action of a group or authority, compiling a blacklist (or black list) of people, countries or other entities to be avoided or distrusted as not being acceptable to those making the list". I see it as pejorative. You don't.
I give up. Even your own definition carries no implicit sense of perjorative, and any such use is entirely secondary to its widely-defined meaning, which applies precisely to Spacey's situation. He is, metaphorically speaking, on a list of people no one in the industry will work with. (And probably on some actual lists with legal, as well.)

I maintain that the sky is often blue. See you outside.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:54 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,120,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackF View Post
Ask around???? Who the hell are we supposed to ask? I don't think we all run in the same circles here
ask around on CD, lots of reliable info available

Old 05-23-2020, 05:16 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,261,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHair View Post
I will watch Jane Fonda prior to her trip to Vietnam. After that, no way in hell. So … Barberella.
I had not even thought about that thing called Fonda, so I have to revised my previous posting to say it is all accurate except for Hanoi Jane. Only thing I want to ever watch with her as the star is her funeral possession.

Old 05-23-2020, 10:00 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,211,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
ask around on CD, lots of reliable info available
Cite some, then.

Completely irrespective of the figure and discussion involved, not many things make my blood boil more than repeated, "Oh, everyone knows that... ask around... you know you've heard the rumors..." etc.

Well, I've paid a little bit of attention to Spacey's case, because it dismays me, and can't put my finger on any but the most nebulous "well, you know, he's a monster" muttering.

So if you have something more substantial than discussion on C-D, please do tell us.

Old 05-24-2020, 07:51 AM

144 posts, read 159,265 times
I expect many actors/industry people to have skeletons in their closets. If we could see into most people’s lives we’d find out all the juicy stuff. Stuff people don’t want others to see or know. This doesn’t make it right for certain celebrities to keep doing wrong . I just don’t do the lynch mob mentality thinking.

My grandmother passed in 1997. She loved the classic movies and I watched them with her. Clark Gable, Joan Crawford, Bette Davis were familiar faces to me thanks to these movies. I swear I was the only teenager (1980’s) at school who knew of these people. We know of the allegations against Joan Crawford from her daughter Christina. Joan was suppose to be a drunk, man eater, physically abusive etc... I guess that qualifies her as disgraced. I got more disgusted by her daughter writing a book about her mother , who was very ill at that time. She published this book within a year after Joan passed. I instantly thought of how opportunistic of Christina was to do that. Cowardly and disgraceful. Discredited any truth there may have been. Team Joan!

So long story short , I will watch “ disgraced actors” . I don’t take my moral que from Hollywood. A bigger threat is disgraced pastors. Selling a belief and code of conduct everyone should adhere to then doing exactly what they preach against. At the end of the day there are upstanding and not so upstanding individuals. Many are full of S**t.

Old 05-24-2020, 12:04 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,140,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crag73 View Post
I expect many actors/industry people to have skeletons in their closets. If we could see into most people’s lives we’d find out all the juicy stuff. Stuff people don’t want others to see or know. This doesn’t make it right for certain celebrities to keep doing wrong . I just don’t do the lynch mob mentality thinking.

When those skeletons come out of the closet, I make a judgement call. My neighbor, who we were good friends with was cheating on his wife. My husband caught him at it. He could no longer sit and have a cuppa or dinner with him. Had we never known, it might have been another story.

Old 05-25-2020, 07:54 PM

21,493 posts, read 10,609,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
No. Ask around. Spacey was a notorious predator with a long train of victims behind him. It's one of the reasons there wasn't a lot of cultural pressure for Spacey to come out of the closet. Everyone knew what a monster he was, and no one really wanted him on the team. And I do mean "everyone." I am hardly a Hollywood insider, but I knew a few people in those circles, and stories about Spacey were already widely known throughout the industry at least as far back as the '90s. The stuff that actually came out in the media isn't even half of it.

That said ... Spacey is hardly alone in his behavior. He was scapegoated. Lots and lots of powerful people in Hollywood have done things far worse without consequences.
Ooh, do tell.

Last edited by katygirl68; 05-25-2020 at 08:06 PM..

Old 05-25-2020, 07:57 PM

21,493 posts, read 10,609,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
Not dismissing this, but industry rumors are just that; everyone has stories and some of the nastiest are about those who seem the most upright and pleasant and so forth.

Actual accusations against Spacey seemed to boil down to one or two, and the centerpiece one that is more or less the reason he was blacklisted has gone down some murky and questionable roads, with just perhaps the young man making the claim not quite as 'innocent' as he presented himself. And unless I missed something, Spacey was a 'seducer,' not a rapist. There is a difference.

I dunno. It's kind of an ugly industry that attracts and rewards those who are pretty ugly on the inside. At what point does an actor have to be morally clear to be accepted as an actor?
The only accusation I know for sure was someone relating an incident that happened when he was 14. Seducing a 14-year old is rape. Dress it up all you want, but minors cannot give consent. From the account I heard the guy said no and Spacey respected that at least, but then a whole slew of other accounts came out about him doing it to other minors. As I recall, he never actually denied the account by the first guy, Anthony Rapp.

Last edited by katygirl68; 05-25-2020 at 08:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies