Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 07:47 AM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,642,696 times

Advertisements

Interesting question. I'm guessing most people would have seen "Titanic" and "Forrest Gump" (not saying that these movies are the best movies ever made, they are just well known).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2020, 11:32 AM

1,584 posts, read 982,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
This happens a lot, mostly because of my age. My kids and their friends are now teens and young adults, and I grew up in the Golden Age of American movies. I am constantly stunned by how many classics and forgotten gems the younger generation has not seen. Like ...

TAXI DRIVER (classic)

MEAN STREETS (still Scorsese's best movie)

BLUE THUNDER (a forgotten classic, made back when filmmakers still knew how to make a great thriller with a good story and great characters)

2010 (actually a better story than 2001)

IF YOU COULD SEE WHAT I HEAR (panned by critics upon its release; I dare you to watch this and not laugh your booty off --- and wipe some tears in places)

ANIMAL HOUSE (the second-most quotable film of all time)

GALAXY QUEST (still the best Star Trek movie)

QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER (Alan Rickman as a villain in a Western with kangaroos? How can you not love this movie?)

APOCALYPSE NOW (if you haven't seen this, you shouldn't be allowed to watch movies anymore)

UHF (the funniest dumb fun ever made --- and surprisingly smart in places)

THE SURVIVORS (Robin Williams and Walter Matthau are great, but Jerry Reed steals the show.)

MYSTERY ALASKA (one of the sweetest funny movies from the '90s; and anyone who dares to claim Burt Reynolds couldn't act must see this movie)

FLESH & BLOOD (Rutger Hauer as a medieval mercenary; is he the captor or the captive?)

HEROES (the Fonz and Han Solo in the same movie!)

THE FRISCO KID (Gene Wilder and Harrison Ford in a Western; hilarious forgotten classic)

HAWK THE SLAYER (so bad that it's freakin' awesome; perfect companion piece to watch after FLASH GORDON)

OVER THE EDGE (I still can't believe my parents let me watch this when I was a kid; really disturbing but brilliant movie)

BREAKING AWAY (still one of the best coming-of-age movies ever made)

MY BODYGUARD (another forgotten classic that will remind everyone why we loved Ruth Gordon)

CANDLESHOE (one of the forgotten live-action Disney classics; Jodie Foster a better actress at 15 than most are by their 40s)
I’m likely as old as you are, perhaps older, and the only films on this list I’ve seen are “Taxi Driver,” “Apocalypse Now,” “Animal House,” and “Breaking Away.” Hated the first one, liked the other three.

I frequently pass on the big budget/big grossing films unless I can see it for free and am in the mood. Have not seen “Titanic,” “Chicago,” “Silence of the Lambs,” “French Conmection,” “The Artist,” any Star Wars film outside of the first three released (4/5/6), “Love Story,” “Jaws,” “Top Gun,” “Fatal Attraction,” any Terminator or Harry Potter or Hunger Games or Fast and Furious or Mission:Impossible film, any Star Trek film except #4, any of the 70s disaster films, any Bond film after “Moonraker,” any superhero film except the first two “Superman” ones, any “Pirates of the Carribean” or “Jurassic Park” film except the first one, any Transformers or TMNT film, and any horror film later than “Psycho.” And that’s fine by me.

Old 04-08-2020, 01:57 PM

22,923 posts, read 28,293,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Have not seen “Titanic,” “Chicago,” “Silence of the Lambs,” “French Conmection,” “The Artist,” any Star Wars film outside of the first three released (4/5/6), “Love Story,” “Jaws,” “Top Gun,” “Fatal Attraction,” any Terminator or Harry Potter or Hunger Games or Fast and Furious or Mission:Impossible film, any Star Trek film except #4, any of the 70s disaster films, any Bond film after “Moonraker,” any superhero film except the first two “Superman” ones, any “Pirates of the Carribean” or “Jurassic Park” film except the first one, any Transformers or TMNT film, and any horror film later than “Psycho.” And that’s fine by me.
TITANIC is over-rated. Honestly, I don't think I have been able to sit through the whole thing.

CHICAGO is way over-rated. But then, I'm not a fan of musicals, so maybe this just wasn't for me. But I really didn't like it at all.

SILENCE OF THE LAMBS is a classic. If you liked PSYCHO even a little, you should check out SILENCE OF THE LAMBS.

LOVE STORY is the most crap-awful piece of schmaltz I have ever seen.

JAWS is one of the best movies ever made.

TOP GUN is a 90 minute music video and the most unintentionally homoerotic movie I have ever seen.

The first two TERMINATOR movies are great. Ignore the others.

THE FRENCH CONNECTION I just have never gotten the praise for that movie --- and there is no bigger Roy Scheider fan in the world than me. But that movie is really kinda boring. Great acting? Sure. But the story itself is a snoozer.

Old 04-08-2020, 03:16 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,104,566 times
Quote:
I’m likely as old as you are, perhaps older, and the only films on this list I’ve seen are “Taxi Driver,” “Apocalypse Now,” “Animal House,” and “Breaking Away.” Hated the first one, liked the other three.

I frequently pass on the big budget/big grossing films unless I can see it for free and am in the mood. Have not seen “Titanic,” “Chicago,” “Silence of the Lambs,” “French Conmection,” “The Artist,” any Star Wars film outside of the first three released (4/5/6), “Love Story,” “Jaws,” “Top Gun,” “Fatal Attraction,” any Terminator or Harry Potter or Hunger Games or Fast and Furious or Mission:Impossible film, any Star Trek film except #4, any of the 70s disaster films, any Bond film after “Moonraker,” any superhero film except the first two “Superman” ones, any “Pirates of the Carribean” or “Jurassic Park” film except the first one, any Transformers or TMNT film, and any horror film later than “Psycho.” And that’s fine by me.
Titanic is an interesting film because although so many people have seen it, it's not what I consider iconic. The characters and quotes are not household, like Star Wars. Even if you are not into into Sci-Fi or action, most everybody knows who Darth Vader is.

Of the ones you mention, and I even seen a couple of them, the one I would say I can't believe you haven't seen is ... Jurrasic Park. It's a fairly novel concept and has a bit for everybody.

Jaws and Psycho, sort of too, but some people don't really like horror movies, and don't really watch them.

Old 04-08-2020, 04:57 PM

16,424 posts, read 12,525,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Titanic is an interesting film because although so many people have seen it, it's not what I consider iconic. The characters and quotes are not household, like Star Wars. Even if you are not into into Sci-Fi or action, most everybody knows who Darth Vader is.
No iconic quotes? If I had a nickel for every time I saw someone on the bow of a boat or on a balcony outstretch their arms and shout "I'm king of the world!" Not to mention the ongoing debate about whether or not the door would have held him, and the mocking impersonations of "I'll never let go Jack, I'll never let go!"

Old 04-08-2020, 05:10 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,104,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
No iconic quotes? If I had a nickel for every time I saw someone on the bow of a boat or on a balcony outstretch their arms and shout "I'm king of the world!" Not to mention the ongoing debate about whether or not the door would have held him, and the mocking impersonations of "I'll never let go Jack, I'll never let go!"
Perhaps.

I'm also a guy and that may have something to do with it.

It's also not that gender neutral of a film, but that's an opinion.

I also took that into account. I would never be surprised if a woman my age hadn't seen for instance, Scarface.

Old 04-09-2020, 03:26 AM

Quote:

Of the ones you mention, and I even seen a couple of them, the one I would say I can't believe you haven't seen is ... Jurrasic Park. It's a fairly novel concept and has a bit for everybody.

Jaws and Psycho, sort of too, but some people don't really like horror movies, and don't really watch them.
Saw the first “Jurassic Park” film several years after its release, and only because somebody else rented it. Just too big budget glitzy for me, and I won’t bother with the sequels.

I refuse to watch horror films — seeing or reading about blood and gore and body horror is not my idea of fun. Have seen “Psycho” once and hated it, which I’ll admit is definitely a minority opinion.

Old 04-09-2020, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
TITANIC is over-rated. Honestly, I don't think I have been able to sit through the whole thing.

CHICAGO is way over-rated. But then, I'm not a fan of musicals, so maybe this just wasn't for me. But I really didn't like it at all.

SILENCE OF THE LAMBS is a classic. If you liked PSYCHO even a little, you should check out SILENCE OF THE LAMBS.

LOVE STORY is the most crap-awful piece of schmaltz I have ever seen.

JAWS is one of the best movies ever made.

TOP GUN is a 90 minute music video and the most unintentionally homoerotic movie I have ever seen.

The first two TERMINATOR movies are great. Ignore the others.

THE FRENCH CONNECTION I just have never gotten the praise for that movie --- and there is no bigger Roy Scheider fan in the world than me. But that movie is really kinda boring. Great acting? Sure. But the story itself is a snoozer.
I won’t watch horror films — blood, gore, body horror, and such are a non-starter for me. Hated “Psycho,” which isn’t a mainstream opinion. That leaves out SotL and “Jaws.”

Films like “Terminator” fall roughly under the superhero genre for me and thus hold no interest.

I usually like musicals, so will probably check out “Chicago” eventually.

Old 04-09-2020, 04:39 AM

50,834 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
I interact with a fair amount of people of different ages, races, and ethnic backgrounds.

And I'm aware I watch a LOT more movies than the average person ... a lot.

But whenever the conversation somehow shifts to 'this movie' I'm always shocked when someone hasn't seen it.

What is 'that' movie for you? Doesn't have to be the best movie or your favorite, just has to be the movie that you would think most people would have (and should see).

*I'll add a footnote and say I rarely deal with persons under the age of 21, so I'm thinking mostly adults here, I'm aware the types of movies that kids and young adults watch are different.
I was shocked when my 62 year old brother told me he never saw E.T. But people are shocked that I never saw a single Star Wars even though I was a teen when the first one came out.

Old 04-09-2020, 04:40 AM

50,834 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
I won’t watch horror films — blood, gore, body horror, and such are a non-starter for me. Hated “Psycho,” which isn’t a mainstream opinion. That leaves out SotL and “Jaws.”

Films like “Terminator” fall roughly under the superhero genre for me and thus hold no interest.

I usually like musicals, so will probably check out “Chicago” eventually.
Chicago is awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies