Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 09:32 AM

12,460 posts, read 8,260,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower_FL View Post

Drumline heavily features a band director, but I'm not sure how interesting it is to non-band geeks. Roger & Ebert gave it a better review, but my husband sided with the more negative ones along the lines of pass on this movie if you think football fields are for football.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/drumline-2002
Drumline like Whiplash is a sports coach movie masquerading as music instruction movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

102,351 posts, read 108,621,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower_FL View Post
I suspect movies about inspiring English teachers just have more mass appeal. I would have loved to have had an inspiring English teacher since English or Language Arts was always my least favorite class through all of school. So I like movies that portray English teachers actually trying to get their students interested in what they are teaching.

Spare Parts is about an engineer turned interim science teacher. It's based on a very interesting true story, but if you aren't really into college engineering competitions, it probably looses some of its charm.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/spare-parts-2015
This looks good, OP. We probably all need some good entertainment to see us through this prolonged stay-home period. I could be up for some engineering geekery.

11,230 posts, read 9,436,523 times
Because Hollywood people hate and despise scientists and engineers. Science and math teachers are included in that.

Old 03-23-2020, 06:42 AM

272 posts, read 317,904 times
Youtube has "Teacher of the Year" which is kind of "The Office" only with teachers. And guess what, the "teacher of the year" is an Engish teacher.

Old 03-24-2020, 01:07 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,502,811 times
High school settings are the easiest because you can get a bunch of 20-something actors to play the part of the students. If you try to do a elementary setting, you have to get actual child actors and that complicates with how long they can shoot and how well the kids can act.

Old 03-24-2020, 09:04 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,282,501 times
Pay It Forward featured a Social Studies teacher. Filmed on Centennial High School campus, one of my schools back in the day.

I love this movie.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pay_It_Forward_(film)

FYI: Vegas is a tough town, especially for kids and teachers. If you can teach there, you are among the best of the best.

Old 03-31-2020, 03:15 PM

26,887 posts, read 27,080,041 times
"Excuse me! When did the Mongols rule China?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK1gnNTVxvc

Old 04-06-2020, 07:10 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,319,453 times
Your typical Viewer can probably empathize with an English teachers frustrations about students not being able to do something as basic as reading and writing. Watching students struggle with Physics, and certain math, a viewer likely can understand students not picking it up and misbehaving.

STAND AND DELIVER was aggravating to me b/c he was pushing hardcore math at a level that non-engineers and scientist find useless

Old 04-07-2020, 06:48 AM

26,887 posts, read 27,080,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
STAND AND DELIVER was aggravating to me b/c he was pushing hardcore math at a level that non-engineers and scientist find useless
Although calculus is said to be a course in symbolic logic.

Old 04-07-2020, 01:27 PM

5,532 posts, read 8,822,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Your typical Viewer can probably empathize with an English teachers frustrations about students not being able to do something as basic as reading and writing. Watching students struggle with Physics, and certain math, a viewer likely can understand students not picking it up and misbehaving.

Stand and Deliver was not about math! I would think that is painfully obvious. Anyone who thinks this was a movie about math entirely misses the point of the whole thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies