Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 02:20 PM

29,816 posts, read 34,725,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
But his teen movies? They haven't aged well. Even the better ones like THE BREAKFAST CLUB I find really over-rated. It's a good movie. It ain't great. And FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF is one of those movies you love as a teenager, but once you grow up, you realize Ferris actually kind of an a-hole.
It's a special kind of day when you watch the movies that you loved as a kid/teen and realize you identify more with the parents and teachers. Like, the principal in the Breakfast Club had to come to work on a Saturday and babysit a bunch of punks who couldn't just sit quietly for a few hours.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 01-16-2020 at 02:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2020, 02:35 PM

32,266 posts, read 35,055,964 times
Quote:
The PC Purity Police are not really known for their ability to detect nuance. Subtext eludes them somehow. Is Long Duk Dong a caricature of Asian stereotypes? Sure. But there's no malice intended at all. There are better things to get offended about that this.
Yet there are people who fly off the rails when a commercial depicts the "stupid male, smart woman" theme because there is apparently a "War On Men" that's every bit as real as the "War On Christmas." I get the sense that many of the people who say Long Duk Dong is not offensive (and these are probably not Asian) probably take offense at Sonia Sotomayor's "wise latina" comment. That's just a hunch.

Old 01-16-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Even the better ones like THE BREAKFAST CLUB I find really over-rated. It's a good movie. It ain't great.
I always found the Breakfast Club unrelatable. It was a "deeper" version of Saved by the Bell with all of the same archetypes. Yet I've met more than a few people in my adult years who have said "That was the story of my high school life!"

Old 01-16-2020, 03:03 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,649,299 times
Quote:
John Hughes's best coming of age movie is probably SHE'S HAVING A BABY. Come to think of it, that remains one of his best movies.
I actually thought of this one and meant to list it but got sidetracked with The Man In The Moon. I LOVE She's Having A Baby - and great soundtrack too.

Old 01-16-2020, 03:28 PM

I suppose I would put AKEELAH AND THE BEE into the "coming of age" category.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DCVmU5gMDQ

Old 01-16-2020, 05:00 PM

23,039 posts, read 28,550,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's a special kind of day when you watch the movies that you loved as a kid/teen and realize you identify more with the parents and teachers. Like, the principal in the Breakfast Club had to come to work on a Saturday and babysit a bunch of punks who couldn't just sit quietly for a few hours.
When I was in junior high, everyone loved FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH, and Jeff Spicoli was everyone's hero. Now, when I watch that, I realize what a loser Spicoli was and that Mr. Hand is the only hero in that movie.

So I guess I am officially old now.

Old 01-16-2020, 05:30 PM

20,282 posts, read 9,781,564 times
Quote:
Something I have noticed: Why are nearly all Coming of Age movies about guys? The very few that there are for women all seem to center solely around sex or getting a guy (LITTLE DARLINGS, THE EASY A, SIXTEEN CANDLES, etc.)

Coming of age movies for guys center around friendship, sacrifice, learning that life ain't about you, etc. So many coming of age movies for girls center around losing their virginity. There are some notable exceptions (LADY BIRD, LITTLE WOMEN), but not enough.

Girls deserve better.
Journey of Natty Gann.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leaqKfAB12o

Also, "Whale Rider", although this is about a slightly younger girl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0ReFVUXGok

Old 01-16-2020, 05:31 PM

1,434 posts, read 1,456,435 times
I think “the big chill” was a great coming of age movie. Not the transition typically thought of in the teen years, but the next one, as we become adults. ( probably just as difficult for so many people)

Old 01-16-2020, 10:31 PM

17,807 posts, read 15,637,593 times
Quote:
When I was in junior high, everyone loved FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH, and Jeff Spicoli was everyone's hero. Now, when I watch that, I realize what a loser Spicoli was and that Mr. Hand is the only hero in that movie.

Oh, I just always loved Ray Walston in anything he was in.

The Stand (Glen Bateman) and Picket Fences (Judge Henry Bone) he was just amazing.

I think he was kinda miscast as Mr Hand.. But, you can't think of anyone else who could have played it now.

Have to give a shout to him as Boothby in a couple of Star Trek episodes as well.. TNG and Voyager.

Old 01-17-2020, 08:19 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,649,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
[i]
Also, "Whale Rider", although this is about a slightly younger girl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0ReFVUXGok
OH wow, I LOVED this movie!

And in that same sort of vibe, Life of Pi was excellent and definitely a coming of age movie but very unusual. More like a movie about interpreting life from different perspectives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZEZ35Fhvuc

Also, The Black Stallion though it's about a younger boy. It's definitely about growing up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMGaIr7kCqc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies