Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 08:28 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,678,820 times

Advertisements

Here we are in 2019, and this film came out back when I was listening to Duran Duran and Haircut 100 with my Sony Walkman. So then, am I missing anything by having not seen this film yet, or is it a film like Dirty Dancing, where that its time has passed so if you haven't seen it yet, don't bother?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 08:43 PM

29,527 posts, read 22,695,541 times
Yes, definitely.

As a young boy, I had the most serious crush on Jennifer Beals (she still looks incredible). Even saw the R rated movie then.

Some very catchy tunes especially the title son and Maniac.

Old 12-04-2019, 04:10 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,024,713 times
It depends on who you are.

I started my dancing in the 80s so I am HEAVY into leotards and legwarmers, even almost 40 years after the fact. As I said many years ago, in my passing, some dance school is going to love my estate sale for all the posters I have.

As I recall, movie quality wise, it wasn't too much of a story, rather an extended music video (of the 80s). Someone like me, however, could find the backgrounds, camera work and secondary themes, enjoyable.

Someone like me who isn't a dancer could find it enjoyable or useful for even the worse movie could have something useful in it....such as being the movie historian and answering these questions. This morning, I awoke from a dream where I was in Back to the Future III, I was in the town's candy shop, and I was spouting off about "Who is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe" over the question of what is a Bon.........

Old 12-04-2019, 06:37 AM

16,427 posts, read 12,533,205 times
Are you going to start a "should I see" thread for every movie you've missed over the last 30 years?

Old 12-04-2019, 06:47 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,024,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Are you going to start a "should I see" thread for every movie you've missed over the last 30 years?

Oh, why not?

It is far better than one thread of "should I see" and then having to go through page after page to see if there is anything one can advise on.

I haven't bothered with the "Dirty Dancing"......because I never saw that flick, either!

Old 12-04-2019, 06:53 AM

12,393 posts, read 8,170,832 times
I would say Dirty Dancing had more of a story and the dance scenes more integrated. Beyond watching the dance double for Jennifer Beals/ Alex's big show piece with the water drop being not exactly a stripper but also above a go-go dancer there is not much for a movie.

Old 12-04-2019, 08:39 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,284,995 times
I saw it when it came out and remember nothing about it other than Jennifer Beals taking off her bra under her shirt and the fact that it had lots of leg warmers. I don't recall hating it so it was probably okay, but certainly not memorable.

Old 12-04-2019, 08:56 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,426,459 times
I wouldn't put it at the top of your list. I love dance and I was of the age to have enjoyed this movie when it came out, but I couldn't get into it.

Old 12-04-2019, 04:56 PM

23,608 posts, read 70,476,785 times
Yes. I can think of three good reasons:

Director Adrian Lyne also directed Foxes, Fatal Attraction, 9½ Weeks, and Indecent Proposal.

Music selection by Gorgio Moroder, who may eventually be recognized as one of the greats for making films "work" emotionally. Moroder's version of "Metropolis" remains my favorite version, and the soundtracks from it and Flashdance are something I still listen to when I need music to support a strenuous activity.

Donald Peterman cinematography. There is a sequence of Beals riding a bicycle that is one of the best "mood" sequences I've seen. Sadly, the real beauty of it is cropped in the theatrical and video releases. I was able to remove the aperture plate from a projector and use a different lens to view the full frame (old Academy ratio) sequence and it was beyond gorgeous.

Most movies depend upon music. Usually it stays in the background unless it is a full blown musical. Flashdance is one film that perfectly nailed the idea of making the music integral, without resorting to going the Jeanette McDonald or Rocky Horror route. It was a groundbreaker.

Old 12-04-2019, 05:28 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,878,935 times
Yes. I'm a guy and remember enjoying it when I finally saw it. Just don't remember much about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies