Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 09:14 PM

8,295 posts, read 23,146,424 times

Advertisements

I ran a little experiment, I love movies and seeing them in theaters but often trailers often ruin the movie nowadays or show you all the great parts. So i skipped all trailers for the last few movies and I gotta say going to the movies and only knowing a premise is great. You really enjoy the surprises, now in each of the movies I saw without a trailer I went back to watch the trailer and it really does ruin the movie.

So stick to the newspapers or ads online but stay away from trailers, you can thank me later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 05:39 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,167,425 times
A good move. Can't stand spoilers. Hard to avoid though since they play them before theater features. I can arrive late and miss some ads, but the trailers still are there.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:26 AM

16,429 posts, read 12,560,874 times
I love the trailers. I'll pass on your suggestion.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:46 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,563,961 times
I completely agree.

Trailers these days show way too much of the movie. Plus, you really get a sense of the IQ level of the audience by how they react to these trailers, which is usually frightening.

Old 11-19-2019, 02:31 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,179,692 times
Trailers do serve to warn us away from the crappy flicks. If it's a comedy and the best line that they present in the trailer is some tired cliche or unfunny bit of business, then I think...wow, if that's what they felt should be highlighted, imagine how awful the rest must be.

Old 11-20-2019, 05:33 AM

3,700 posts, read 2,429,714 times
OP,

Yeah, trailers suck.

I'd rather not see most of them.

Old 11-20-2019, 07:16 AM

22,945 posts, read 28,339,187 times
The art of a good movie trailer has largely been lost. They either spoil the movie entirely or give a false impression.

Go back and watch the trailer for WHISKEY, TANGO, FOXTROT. It looks like "Liz Lemon Goes to Iraq," right? It's not. It is very funny in parts, yes, but it isn't a wacky 30 Rockesque comedy. It is a drama. I liked the movie a lot. But it is NOT the movie advertised in the trailer.

Old 11-20-2019, 07:43 AM

16,429 posts, read 12,560,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The art of a good movie trailer has largely been lost. They either spoil the movie entirely or give a false impression.

Go back and watch the trailer for WHISKEY, TANGO, FOXTROT. It looks like "Liz Lemon Goes to Iraq," right? It's not. It is very funny in parts, yes, but it isn't a wacky 30 Rockesque comedy. It is a drama. I liked the movie a lot. But it is NOT the movie advertised in the trailer.
For me the most notable instance of a trailer giving a false impression was "Marley and Me". All the trailers made it look like a raucous, silly, lighthearted, feel-good family comedy. So lots of people took their families to see it when it opened on Christmas Day.

MERRY CHRISTMAS ... your entire family (including the little kids who now have lots of questions that need explaining and will never let you take the family dog to the vet again) will be ugly crying by the end of the film. Gut wrenching sobs. Just what everyone wants on Christmas Day!

That said, I still love trailers! LOL

Old 11-24-2019, 10:58 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,053,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
For me the most notable instance of a trailer giving a false impression was "Marley and Me". All the trailers made it look like a raucous, silly, lighthearted, feel-good family comedy. So lots of people took their families to see it when it opened on Christmas Day.

MERRY CHRISTMAS ... your entire family (including the little kids who now have lots of questions that need explaining and will never let you take the family dog to the vet again) will be ugly crying by the end of the film. Gut wrenching sobs. Just what everyone wants on Christmas Day!

That said, I still love trailers! LOL
Doesn't the dog die at the end of just about every dog movie? Who goes to the movies expecting a different outcome?

That's why theirs a while website devoted to the simple question of "does the dog die?", because it's so common in dog movies. Besides, Marley and Me was a book, I thought everyone knew he died at the end by the time the movie came along. That's like not knowing the outcome of Where the Red Fern Grows or Old Yeller. I've never seen Those A Dog's Purpose Movies, or Art of Racing in the Rain, but even without seeing them I can guess the dog dies at the end.

But with Marley and Me, dog lives long happy life, dies peacefully in old age surrounded by the loving family he's been with since a puppy. I don't see anything wrong with that being a movie to see on Christmas. It was a happy movie, about a dog's long, happy life. And watching the trailer, it's pretty obvious it's about the dog's entire life, not just a year or two of it.

Old 11-24-2019, 11:07 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,053,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I guess it's just that people see what they want to see in a trailer, because no I didn't get the "Liz Lemon goes to Iraq" vibe from the trailer. First, because the mention Afghanistan, about 20 times in the trailer, but it's not all doofy Tina Fry, there are also some serious moments. It seemed like the movie would be a good mixture of comedy and drama, which it was. I wouldn't have gone seen a "wacky 30 Rockesque comedy, so maybe it's just that fans of 30 Rock were hoping that's what it would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies