Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 10:03 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,806,830 times

Advertisements

I know the definition of good acting changes with the times, but the old westerns have some of the worst of the worst acting to ever grace the silver screen. Probably only Christian movies are worse. Even compared to other stuff that came out around the same time, the westerns had fake, almost wooden acting. Why do you think that is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2019, 05:58 AM

10,019 posts, read 8,626,136 times
Most of the spaghetti westerns I've seen had voices dubbed in that didn't match the movements of the actor's mouths. I think the directors were more interested in scenery and gunplay anyway.
I think those Japanese monster movies were just as bad. Sometimes the acting was scarier than the monsters.

What is a Christian movie ?

Old 11-15-2019, 06:11 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,256,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I know the definition of good acting changes with the times, but the old westerns have some of the worst of the worst acting to ever grace the silver screen. Probably only Christian movies are worse. Even compared to other stuff that came out around the same time, the westerns had fake, almost wooden acting. Why do you think that is?
It was just the times. If you watch your average studio Western from the '50s and '60s, most of them were just as bad.

Check out the Sergio Leone Westerns. Great acting there because he hired real actors and knew how to direct them.

Old 11-15-2019, 06:15 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,704,703 times
Quote:
That's like asking why the cuisine at McDonald's isn't very good.

The business model of spaghetti westerns (westerns made by Italian studios in the 1960s) was to crank out large numbers of such films as cheaply as possible in order to put butts in the seats. Aside from Leone, no one cared about winning Best Picture of the Palme d'Or. And the audience wasn't interest in a boffo thespian performance.

Do you think McDonald's cares that they won't ever get a Michelin star?

Old 11-15-2019, 07:08 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

Check out the Sergio Leone Westerns. Great acting there because he hired real actors and knew how to direct them.
Eli Wallach's performance in "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" was Oscar worthy. Plus, unlike the overwhelming number of the Fistful of Lasagna cheapos, "The Good etc" had a clever script. Add the great Ennio Morricone score and it's an exceptionally entertaining movie, vastly superior to the first two in the trilogy which were stylish but not substantial.

And the imitations which followed were not as good as those first two Leone films. They had bad scripts, bad direction and bad acting, by both the actors on screen and the actors dubbing the voices.

Old 11-15-2019, 07:42 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,256,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Eli Wallach's performance in "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" was Oscar worthy. Plus, unlike the overwhelming number of the Fistful of Lasagna cheapos, "The Good etc" had a clever script. Add the great Ennio Morricone score and it's an exceptionally entertaining movie, vastly superior to the first two in the trilogy which were stylish but not substantial.
Agreed. If I had to make a list of Best Movies of All Time, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is definitely Top 10.

Old 11-15-2019, 08:08 AM

5,457 posts, read 8,173,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Agreed. If I had to make a list of Best Movies of All Time, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is definitely Top 10.
I think Once Upon a Time in the West is even better. Both a work of art and a great western.

Old 11-15-2019, 08:32 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,567,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

And the imitations which followed were not as good as those first two Leone films. They had bad scripts, bad direction and bad acting, by both the actors on screen and the actors dubbing the voices.

I disagree. Although "The Good" is an epic, the 2nd movie in the trilogy, "For a Few Dollars More" is actually considered the best of the three by many.

As far as the acting, I think the English dubbing has a lot to do with it as well as the difference between Italian and American acting methods and skills.

Old 11-15-2019, 08:34 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,567,354 times
Quote:
Probably only Christian movies are worse.

I am not even a religious person, but if you gave up the Christian HATE in EVERY POST you make you'd have more credibility and probably sleep better at night. Lose the hate, man.

Old 11-15-2019, 10:13 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I disagree. Although "The Good" is an epic, the 2nd movie in the trilogy, "For a Few Dollars More" is actually considered the best of the three by many.
Really? As well as having that epic scale, "The Good etc" had many very clever touches not found in the first two Man With No Name sagas. Where in either of those two films is a scene that equals the hilarious reading of the charges against Tuco before his scheduled hanging? The list goes on, and on, and on, and then goes on some more. Tuco has apparently committed every crime known to humanity.

And then..when he is about to get hanged the second time, his crimes are again enunciated and they are just as long as the first list, but all entirely new and different crimes. This was one of my all time favorite movie scenes.

Where in either of the first films was there a scene as touching as the one where Tuco is trying to pretend to Blondie that all is well between him and his brother the missionary?

Or how about the scene where Tuco is trying to ingratiate himself with what he thinks are Confederate soldiers, only to see the Captain knock the dust off his uniform, revealing the blue underneath?

I love cleverness when being entertained and "The Good etc" was a very clever movie. I would not say that of the first two, which had their virtues, just not as many virtues as "The Good etc"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies