Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 10:38 AM

131,151 posts, read 12,260,400 times

Advertisements

the subtitles in Parasite, were very well done. Sometimes, it can be hard to decide who said what, but not in this movie, all was very clear & in good English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2020, 04:09 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,696,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Democrat View Post
Did anyone see this film? I loved it. Was not what I was expecting, complex emotionally; leave any expectations at the door if you see it.
What a vision! It starts off as a simple Comedy of Manners, a form of comedy that satirizes the manners and affectations of contemporary society and questions societal standards. A well meaning family of four suffers from being completely unemployed and eventually uses minor deceptions to get complete employment at a slightly dimwitted family of four.

Slowly the movie transforms it's tone until it is a tragedy of Shakespearian proportions replete with a beautiful Cordelia.

Old 03-05-2020, 05:51 PM

29,537 posts, read 22,824,381 times
I liked the way the director filmed the movie and the excellent acting, and often I found myself understanding what was going on despite not knowing Hangul.

Old 03-05-2020, 05:58 PM

13,129 posts, read 7,613,544 times
Interesting Movie. (Amazon Prime).
Appropriate title.
Depressing. Social commentary. Maybe theme is applicable to USA.

Old 03-06-2020, 06:41 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,696,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Depressing. Social commentary. Maybe theme is applicable to USA.
I think tragic is different than depressing. The themes are universal.

Old 03-07-2020, 05:34 AM

22,436 posts, read 29,585,819 times
We liked it.

Old 03-08-2020, 08:49 AM

11,666 posts, read 12,775,793 times
It was truly a marvelous movie. The story, itself, was not meant to be taken literally. It was not a "horror" movie.

Class struggles and conflicts are a common theme in stories outside of the US. Historically, most societies don't enjoy the class mobility that we have in the US.

For the most part, American culture is very optimistic. "Yes, we can." Hope pervades our culture. People immigrated here because of hope. Hollywood plays on this with the "typical happy ending" and if you were looking for the satisfaction of a happy ending, avoid stories from other cultures. Most societies don't have the American brand of optimism.

Old 03-08-2020, 06:33 PM

6,887 posts, read 7,932,350 times
So, my daughter and I went to see Knives Out today.

I was really struck by the similarities between it and Parasite. Anyone else agree?

Old 03-29-2020, 12:17 PM

32,186 posts, read 34,887,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
What a vision! It starts off as a simple Comedy of Manners, a form of comedy that satirizes the manners and affectations of contemporary society and questions societal standards. A well meaning family of four suffers from being completely unemployed and eventually uses minor deceptions to get complete employment at a slightly dimwitted family of four.

Slowly the movie transforms it's tone until it is a tragedy of Shakespearian proportions replete with a beautiful Cordelia.
Yes! This movie is great. One of the few I consider deserving of the Best Picture Award.

Old 04-21-2020, 08:32 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,007,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yes! This movie is great. One of the few I consider deserving of the Best Picture Award.
So, I finally bit the bullet last night and watched Parasite on Hulu. Wow. It was a mixed bag. Social commentary, suspense, black humor. I didn't find the subtitles as annoying as I thought I would. It was a long movie, but I got used to reading the subtitles, and the movie held my attention. Interestingly, the person I was with couldn't look at any of her electronic devices, because she had to watch for the subtitles. So in that sense, the movie really forced you to pay attention.

Was it best movie Oscar worthy? Meh. That's always a popularity contest, so why not? Parasite was the IT movie at the time, so it won the Oscar for best movie. No different than any other year.

It was a good movie, but certainly not the best movie of the year.

--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies