Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 01:19 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times

Advertisements

I agree that this latest 2019 Midway was GREAT! My fiance' & I both liked it. I also liked how at the end of the movie, they showed the real photos of the real people involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2019, 03:08 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,781 times
Did you watch the video? Depending on point of reference even 70 degrees is close to straight down. If you watch the video they may very well initiate a dive nearly straight down and then adjust to 60 or 70 degrees.

Old 11-16-2019, 05:26 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Did you watch the video? Depending on point of reference even 70 degrees is close to straight down. If you watch the video they may very well initiate a dive nearly straight down and then adjust to 60 or 70 degrees.
A 90 degree dive wouldn't even work against a moving target such as a ship at sea. The Japanese carrier Soryu was capable of cruising at 34 knots. Let us say that it is doing about 25 mph at the time of the attack. If started directly overhead and at 90 degrees, during the 40 seconds required for the dive, the Soryu would have moved 1464 feet from where it was at the start of the dive. The Soryu was 746 feet in length, so the entire ship would have been long gone from any possibility of hitting it from a 90 degree attack.

Old 11-16-2019, 05:40 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,706,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
A 90 degree dive wouldn't even work against a moving target such as a ship at sea. The Japanese carrier Soryu was capable of cruising at 34 knots. Let us say that it is doing about 25 mph at the time of the attack. If started directly overhead and at 90 degrees, during the 40 seconds required for the dive, the Soryu would have moved 1464 feet from where it was at the start of the dive. The Soryu was 746 feet in length, so the entire ship would have been long gone from any possibility of hitting it from a 90 degree attack.
Presumably, one would have to lead the target. This is normal - in the days before guided munitions, attacks with gravity bombs required this, as did torpedo attacks and anti-aircraft fire (either gunners or ground flak). Of course, ships zig and zag in combat for precisely this reason, but an aircraft carrier doing 30+ knots is rather unmaneuverable and probably has a turning radius measured in many miles.

Old 11-16-2019, 09:33 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
My husband and I went to see this movie tonight and really enjoyed it. Our take away was that it was very good. As someone not particularly savvy about the actual historical minutia of the battle of Midway, it wasn't hard for me to follow at all, but it was nice to know that it is so accurate historically.

Like others have mentioned, I really enjoyed seeing the real people at the end of the movie, along with their personal histories after the battle.

Old 11-17-2019, 08:54 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My husband and I went to see this movie tonight and really enjoyed it. Our take away was that it was very good. As someone not particularly savvy about the actual historical minutia of the battle of Midway, it wasn't hard for me to follow at all, but it was nice to know that it is so accurate historically.

Like others have mentioned, I really enjoyed seeing the real people at the end of the movie, along with their personal histories after the battle.
I’m going to see it today. That’s a nice touch telling about what happened to the real heroes.

Old 11-17-2019, 01:57 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,799 times
Glad a movie of HISTORIC proportions can still be made. Young people are key to most of the Box Office today. If they stay away it isn't good. But great some who might not go to Theater movies today..... especially those of us older. Are going to see maybe this one.

Hope t has some Oscar contention without big names.

Old 11-18-2019, 11:17 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
I just saw it-overall enjoyed it but was disappointed in a fair amount-especially the aircraft depictions, as well as lack of a lot of relevant background for someone that didn't know much of the story of Midway. First-where were the Japanese dive bombers? The Val (D3A) was easily distinguished-it had fixed landing gear, unlike every plane in the movie. I also didn't see anything recognizable as a Kate (torpedo bomber)-everything looked roughly like a Zero, some with bombs, some with torpedos, some clean. On our side-why did a Devastator torpedo bomber drop it's torpedo...and still have bombs under the wings? And why no Wildcats (fighters) in the entire movie? Our attacks were uncoordinated, the movie didn't explain the importance of a coordinate attack of fighters, dive bombers and torpedo bombers. They also just glossed over the attacks on Yorktown, the damage, partial repairs and re-damage in the 2nd air attack, nor the eventual, terminal damage due to a Japanese sub.

Also, the movie shows our dive bombers taking large losses, especially in the attack on the Hiryu. I'm going by memory, but don't recall our dive bombers taking excessive losses (could be wrong here). If anything, the movie understates how bad our torpedo bombers got hammered, and didn't name the crewman in the water (IIRC George Gay) that got the front-row seat. The movie also never mentioned the failures of the electric bomb arming panels causing several of our dive bombers to drop bombs far from the carriers (including McClusky's, IIRC).

Overall, a fun movie, I don't regret going, but was a little disappointed in how poorly some of the details were conveyed. They could have cut out Pearl Harbor, everyone knows how that turned out, and picked up at Coral Sea (with perhaps a bit part of the Doolittle raid to explain why Enterprise and Hornet weren't at Coral) and focused more on Midway, with a little more detail. Other than the damage to Yorktown, Coral was basically glossed over (I don't recall them discussing the loss of Lexington, but could be wrong). On the flip side-trying to explain the entire first 7 months of the naval war in the Pacific in one short movie is pretty much impossible-and given that constraint, they did a good job.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 11-18-2019 at 11:29 PM..

Old 11-20-2019, 11:27 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I just saw it-overall enjoyed it but was disappointed in a fair amount-especially the aircraft depictions, as well as lack of a lot of relevant background for someone that didn't know much of the story of Midway. First-where were the Japanese dive bombers? The Val (D3A) was easily distinguished-it had fixed landing gear, unlike every plane in the movie. I also didn't see anything recognizable as a Kate (torpedo bomber)-everything looked roughly like a Zero, some with bombs, some with torpedos, some clean. On our side-why did a Devastator torpedo bomber drop it's torpedo...and still have bombs under the wings? And why no Wildcats (fighters) in the entire movie? Our attacks were uncoordinated, the movie didn't explain the importance of a coordinate attack of fighters, dive bombers and torpedo bombers. They also just glossed over the attacks on Yorktown, the damage, partial repairs and re-damage in the 2nd air attack, nor the eventual, terminal damage due to a Japanese sub.

Also, the movie shows our dive bombers taking large losses, especially in the attack on the Hiryu. I'm going by memory, but don't recall our dive bombers taking excessive losses (could be wrong here). If anything, the movie understates how bad our torpedo bombers got hammered, and didn't name the crewman in the water (IIRC George Gay) that got the front-row seat. The movie also never mentioned the failures of the electric bomb arming panels causing several of our dive bombers to drop bombs far from the carriers (including McClusky's, IIRC).

Overall, a fun movie, I don't regret going, but was a little disappointed in how poorly some of the details were conveyed. They could have cut out Pearl Harbor, everyone knows how that turned out, and picked up at Coral Sea (with perhaps a bit part of the Doolittle raid to explain why Enterprise and Hornet weren't at Coral) and focused more on Midway, with a little more detail. Other than the damage to Yorktown, Coral was basically glossed over (I don't recall them discussing the loss of Lexington, but could be wrong). On the flip side-trying to explain the entire first 7 months of the naval war in the Pacific in one short movie is pretty much impossible-and given that constraint, they did a good job.
I saw the movie again (for the third time!) last night. Recalling your comment, I tried to pay attention to some of the things you pointed out.

Vals -- Nope, not a single one that I saw.

Kates -- Yes, there were a relative handful of them there. I saw them during the attack on Midway, and I think also the attack on Pearl Harbor. But you're right, it did seem like most of the Japanese planes shown were Zeros.

Devastator -- Yikes, I didn't notice the one carrying bombs plus a torpedo before; but yep, it was there alright.

Wildcats -- I didn't see any. Of course, the Wildcats' participation in the Battle of Midway were mainly pertaining to (1) the defense of Midway, (2) Jimmy Thatch's squadron from the Yorktown trying to protect his ship's torpedo planes (which were also a no-show in this film), and (3) the defense of the Yorktown. All three of these episodes were given very little attention. Thus, no Wildcats.

Yorktown -- I understand that the main POV was from the Enterprise, but I still wish they had given the attacks on the Yorktown some more attention.

Hiryu -- I don't have my sources in front of me, but my recollection is that American losses during the attack on this ship were fairly light; maybe three planes shot down.

Electric arming switch -- McClusky was not affected by this. Perhaps you're thinking of squadron leader Max Leslie from the Yorktown, who did indeed lose his bomb this way.

Coral Sea -- They briefly showed what appeared to be a Yorktown-class carrier settling low in the water (by the stern, I think), with the clear implication that she was sinking. It couldn't have been Yorktown herself, because she survived that battle (as is eventually implied, but not directly stated, in the movie). The only American carrier to be lost in that battle was Lexington (not named in the film, IIRC), which was of a different class and had a different appearance. In general, the filmmakers were careful to make the ships look like they actually did; but they dropped the ball on this one.

And a bonus blooper: I'm pretty sure I spotted the Yamato in one of the overhead shots of the Japanese carrier force under attack. (I'm not going to swear to it, though. Confirmation will have to wait until I buy the movie on DVD and can pause it at will.) But in real life, the Yamato was far removed from the carrier force -- as is in fact noted in the movie.

Maybe not a blooper, but probably was: The Enterprise's torpedo squadron was shown roaring low over the Arashi on their way to the carrier force, while the destroyer was lobbing depth charges at the submarine Nautilus. I'm not aware of any source that claims that any American torpedo planes overflew the Arashi. But even if they did . . . why didn't the Arashi's gunners shoot at them? (I gotta admit, though, it's a cool scene.)

Oh well. I still like the movie. But I think it could have been better.

Old 11-20-2019, 12:17 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I saw the movie again (for the third time!) last night. Recalling your comment, I tried to pay attention to some of the things you pointed out.

Vals -- Nope, not a single one that I saw.

Kates -- Yes, there were a relative handful of them there. I saw them during the attack on Midway, and I think also the attack on Pearl Harbor. But you're right, it did seem like most of the Japanese planes shown were Zeros.

Devastator -- Yikes, I didn't notice the one carrying bombs plus a torpedo before; but yep, it was there alright.

Wildcats -- I didn't see any. Of course, the Wildcats' participation in the Battle of Midway were mainly pertaining to (1) the defense of Midway, (2) Jimmy Thatch's squadron from the Yorktown trying to protect his ship's torpedo planes (which were also a no-show in this film), and (3) the defense of the Yorktown. All three of these episodes were given very little attention. Thus, no Wildcats.

Yorktown -- I understand that the main POV was from the Enterprise, but I still wish they had given the attacks on the Yorktown some more attention.

Hiryu -- I don't have my sources in front of me, but my recollection is that American losses during the attack on this ship were fairly light; maybe three planes shot down.

Electric arming switch -- McClusky was not affected by this. Perhaps you're thinking of squadron leader Max Leslie from the Yorktown, who did indeed lose his bomb this way.

Coral Sea -- They briefly showed what appeared to be a Yorktown-class carrier settling low in the water (by the stern, I think), with the clear implication that she was sinking. It couldn't have been Yorktown herself, because she survived that battle (as is eventually implied, but not directly stated, in the movie). The only American carrier to be lost in that battle was Lexington (not named in the film, IIRC), which was of a different class and had a different appearance. In general, the filmmakers were careful to make the ships look like they actually did; but they dropped the ball on this one.

And a bonus blooper: I'm pretty sure I spotted the Yamato in one of the overhead shots of the Japanese carrier force under attack. (I'm not going to swear to it, though. Confirmation will have to wait until I buy the movie on DVD and can pause it at will.) But in real life, the Yamato was far removed from the carrier force -- as is in fact noted in the movie.

Maybe not a blooper, but probably was: The Enterprise's torpedo squadron was shown roaring low over the Arashi on their way to the carrier force, while the destroyer was lobbing depth charges at the submarine Nautilus. I'm not aware of any source that claims that any American torpedo planes overflew the Arashi. But even if they did . . . why didn't the Arashi's gunners shoot at them? (I gotta admit, though, it's a cool scene.)

Oh well. I still like the movie. But I think it could have been better.
Since you've seen it three times, perhaps you can confirm for me that the movie depicted a Japanese plane launching a torpedo, while flying between two American ships berthed in Pearl Harbor. That would make no sense at all because a torpedo launched from such a position would either go out to sea and hit nothing, or hit the berthing dock (depending on which way the ships were facing, you couldn't tell by what was depicted.)

The Pearl scenes had a bit of the video game feel to them. Mostly they showed strafing rather than bombing. I suspect it was because they felt that they had come up with cool strafing effects, so why not indulge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies