Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 03:45 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times

Advertisements

Personally, I think the three hardest emotions to convey are guilt, longing and true "butt-hurt."

I've mentioned this in this sub before, but I think the bench scene between Tom and Summer in "500 Days of Summer" is some of the most masterful acting I've ever seen.

Guilt/shame is very tough to pull off IMO. Most people have probably had to have the difficult conversation that Summer has with Tom and completely lower the boom on someone. And it feels bad. It really feels bad when you know that person is a good person and doesn't deserve to be hurt. But the heart wants what it wants and it wasn't Tom. And I think Zooey pulls this off perfectly.

"I just woke up one day and I knew...what I was never sure of with you."

The look on her face at the 1:38 mark is familiar to anyone who's had to be this honest with someone about their feelings.

On the flipside is Tom's butt-hurt. This is not a "My Dad died and I'm really sad" face. This is the woman of your dreams telling you that you're inadequate and that she chose a better man over you. This is a completely different kind of pain because it strikes at your conception of self-worth. All he can do is put his head down and turn away in case the tears come.

Finally, the longing comes at the 3:36 mark when Summer touches his hand, and Tom's head slightly tilts to the side. This is a look almost everyone in history has had on their face when looking at someone they truly love, but no one ever really knows their face looks like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zB6VaGhxnc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 03:31 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
I think some very big actors stink at anything remotely romantic. So, since they can do everything else well, acting-wise, I think maybe love is hardest. I think Matt Damon (one example) is terrible at it and he's better off in his movies where he doesn't have any type of love scene (not talking about sex) or they make his girlfriend character die, disappear or run off with another guy so he doesn't have to. But, that's just my opinion. Please understand I'm not intimating the person Matt Damon is lousy at romance in real life.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:20 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
I don't think 500 Days of Summer is a great movie, but there's no doubt Levitt and Deschanel are great in it. They're both fantastic actors. J-G Levitt may be one of the best actors working today. He just hasn't yet had a part that's made him a household name.

Hardest emotion to act? I have no idea. I'm not an actor. But my guess is that it depends on the skill of the actor and the quality of the material. Meryl Streep has said that the best acting in the world can't save a bad script; the most it can do is raise F material to C material.

I can actually think of an example of that very thing. The 1998 movie PLAYING BY HEART. See: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0145734/ Absolutely fantastic cast. Some really, really great actors in this movie. But the script is okay at best, and in one pivotal scene it's downright bad. I mean hilariously-throw-your-shoes-at-the-screen-bad. Even the iconic Sean Connery and Gena Rowlands couldn't save it.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:28 AM

6,963 posts, read 2,696,549 times
On the flip side, I think the easiest to convey is being "mentally challenged". Every time an actor portrays such a character, they are nominated for an award.

Old 08-09-2019, 05:48 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,449,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Personally, I think the three hardest emotions to convey are guilt, longing and true "butt-hurt."
I read this a few days ago and was trying to think of other examples. Lisa Kudrow in her series The Comeback does this very well. She plays a desperate, insecure D-List has-been sitcom actress who's insulted to her face in the show's faux documentary format. But she recognizes and absorbs every insult with a fragile courage anyone who's had to endure humiliation can understand. She does all the acting in her face, and I don't think there's anyone better at conveying it. I wish I had the precise clip that illustrates this, but watch the show.

Old 08-09-2019, 05:57 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I think some very big actors stink at anything remotely romantic. So, since they can do everything else well, acting-wise, I think maybe love is hardest. I think Matt Damon (one example) is terrible at it and he's better off in his movies where he doesn't have any type of love scene (not talking about sex) or they make his girlfriend character die, disappear or run off with another guy so he doesn't have to. But, that's just my opinion. Please understand I'm not intimating the person Matt Damon is lousy at romance in real life.
Did you see him in love with Emily Blunt in "Adjustment Bureau"? I bet you didn't ...why? Cuz not many people have seen the movie period. Lol
Tell me what you think about that acting...I thought he did pretty well!

Old 08-09-2019, 06:06 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
1.Singing off tune.
2.some are bad at 'drunk'...some are VERY spot on.
3.Dancing like Elaine Benis 'bad, bad, bad".
4. Comedy...timing

Old 08-09-2019, 06:08 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Fear of death.
I am yet to see a real "at the gunpoint" fear.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:04 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I think the issue with "love" in movies is that it tends to be over the top. A lot of actors/actresses can give the "You take my breath away" look followed by a passionate kiss. But I think genuine intoxication is a lot harder to pull off.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:49 PM

19,383 posts, read 15,220,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
1.Singing off tune.
2.some are bad at 'drunk'...some are VERY spot on.
3.Dancing like Elaine Benis 'bad, bad, bad".
4. Comedy...timing
Ugh, it's so embarrassing when someone doesn't pull that off. Same thing with supposedly hysterical laughing. If it looks fake, it just makes you cringe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies