Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 08:26 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,770,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
It's playing at the Dundee Theater (now owned and run by Filmstreams).
Ahhh....I remember it well. Don't recall if I ever saw anything there, but I drove past it countless times. Indian Hills was my theater of choice or the Westroads 6 west? for the lesser films. It broke my heart to hear that the Indian Hills had been demolished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2019, 11:20 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,330,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I don't begin to understand the distribution of this movie. Supposedly it was released November 1st (limited) and yet there are no audience reviews on Rotten Tomatoes? To my knowledge, it hasn't been in any of the mainstream theaters nearby me.

What is the Netflix connection and how is it that they seem to be controlling this? I'm sure not gonna start jumping through extra hoops (like subscribing to Netflix) to see a new movie. Baffled here....and frustrated because this one is one of the rare releases I'd go to see.

It's because Scorese could barely get enough funding for this movie as it was. He also spent a pretty penny on using de-aging CGI/technology for De Niro, Pacino, and Pesci. When Scorsese realized he didn't have much support from theaters to distribute the film, he reached out to Netflix and they agreed to air it, shortly after it got released in theaters. Yet instead of accepting the fact that he should've made this film years ago when these guys were younger, he decided to go on a rant about Marvel and how superhero movies aren't cinema. Guess he had to promote this movie somehow.

Old 11-25-2019, 01:50 PM

32,186 posts, read 34,892,757 times
FWIW the reviews of this movie so far have been positive. Some even say it might be his best work.

Old 11-25-2019, 01:52 PM

131,173 posts, read 12,268,010 times
We are going to see it tomorrow, & I am really looking forward to it.

Old 11-25-2019, 02:41 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,518,283 times
Quote:
I don't begin to understand the distribution of this movie. Supposedly it was released November 1st (limited) and yet there are no audience reviews on Rotten Tomatoes? To my knowledge, it hasn't been in any of the mainstream theaters nearby me.

What is the Netflix connection and how is it that they seem to be controlling this? I'm sure not gonna start jumping through extra hoops (like subscribing to Netflix) to see a new movie. Baffled here....and frustrated because this one is one of the rare releases I'd go to see.
The movie was originally going to be made by Paramount but they balked at the cost (150 million) so Netflix came in and financed it.

In order to be considered for an Oscar the movie must be played in theaters. Netflix negotiated with the big theater chains (AMC, Regal etc) but they wanted the movie to be played in theaters for 60 days. Netflix was willing to do 45 days but the theater owners refused.

So Netflix put the movie in independent theater across the country, releasing it for streaming on November 27th.

Old 11-25-2019, 03:22 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,770,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
The movie was originally going to be made by Paramount but they balked at the cost (150 million) so Netflix came in and financed it.

In order to be considered for an Oscar the movie must be played in theaters. Netflix negotiated with the big theater chains (AMC, Regal etc) but they wanted the movie to be played in theaters for 60 days. Netflix was willing to do 45 days but the theater owners refused.

So Netflix put the movie in independent theater across the country, releasing it for streaming on November 27th.
Thank you for your response and explanation.

So Netflix figures on bringing in more revenue than Paramount would have with a full theater release? That's hard for me, as an old-school guy, to get my mind around. I have no interest whatsoever in any streaming subscription services. Plus, there's still a big difference between the big screen experience and all but the most exotic and elaborate home theaters....that most people don't have.

I was planning on going this morning, but just didn't feel up to it due to a tough semi-sleepless night last night. Looks like tomorrow is my last chance as apparently that is the last day for theaters. I'll see how I feel.

Old 11-25-2019, 07:09 PM

10,222 posts, read 7,638,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I can't wait to see this on Netflix.

Old 11-25-2019, 07:25 PM

10,222 posts, read 7,638,421 times
Quote:

The reason for this is there's a Motion Picture Academy rules that to be able to be nominated for Academy awards, the film has to be shown in some theaters for a certain length of time before going to streaming. I don't know the release requirements, but Netflix is doing what the rules require, before streaming it. Also, it's being shown a little longer than Netflix wanted because some theaters would make a deal only for that length of time.

The official release date, according to imdb, is 11/27/19. I don't know if that's when it streams on Netflix, or wider release at theaters. Movies are usu. released early for screening by critics. Then there are some pre-release screenings to the general public in a few places, people tell me. That's why there are often audience ratings for things not released yet. IMDB has user ratings for The Irishman (rating it 8.7).

It may not play in a theater in my mid-sized city at all. But I subscribe to Netflix. If you wanted to see it, you could do a Netflix free trial. I never do that, with the intent not to subscribe, but some people do.

Old 11-26-2019, 06:18 AM

22,961 posts, read 28,406,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
The reason for this is there's a Motion Picture Academy rules that to be able to be nominated for Academy awards.
I wish filmmakers would wake up, realize what a joke the Oscars are, and stop chasing them. Just make a great movie. Don't worry about being invited to the meat parade.

Old 11-26-2019, 07:28 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,330,515 times
Quote:
Thank you for your response and explanation.

So Netflix figures on bringing in more revenue than Paramount would have with a full theater release? That's hard for me, as an old-school guy, to get my mind around. I have no interest whatsoever in any streaming subscription services. Plus, there's still a big difference between the big screen experience and all but the most exotic and elaborate home theaters....that most people don't have.

I was planning on going this morning, but just didn't feel up to it due to a tough semi-sleepless night last night. Looks like tomorrow is my last chance as apparently that is the last day for theaters. I'll see how I feel.

I honestly don't think it was ever going to do that well in theaters to begin with. As I stated before, Scorsese used a lot of the budget to use CGI/digital de-aging technology on De Niro, Pesci, and Pacino. Paramount was concerned when they saw how much this film was going to cost them. An awful lot of CGI was used for a movie that didn't need a drop of it. And it looked really bad on Scorsese's part. It basically said, "Yeah, these guys are in their 70's, but we can make them look young again! And every single punch thrown will be from a stunt double; it's genius!" Those costs can kill a budget very quickly, and his budget wasn't big to begin with. We are also in the age of cinema where these guys don't have the same star power as they once had. Half of America thinks De Niro should be in the loony bin for his rants about Trump, and a lot of people no longer want to support his movies. So Hollywood didn't have much faith in this film, and they let Scorsese know it. He's lucky Netflix was willing to ink a deal with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies