Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 08:00 AM

10,379 posts, read 8,032,350 times

Advertisements

I was unimpressed by this (which surprised me, as I am a huge Tolkien fan).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2020, 07:41 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,195,540 times
I am going to check this out tonight because I am not only a huge Tolkien fan but I also really love the writings of some of his other buddies - GK Chesterton and CS Lewis. I am dismayed to hear that his faith is not addressed as central to his personality and writings though.

Old 01-03-2020, 07:45 AM

22,953 posts, read 28,365,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I am going to check this out tonight because I am not only a huge Tolkien fan but I also really love the writings of some of his other buddies - GK Chesterton and CS Lewis.
Check out SHADOWLANDS, the movie with Anthony Hopkins as C.S. Lewis. It's a really good movie. It isn't a thorough biopic. It only covers his relationship with Joy Davidman, and it plays fairly loosely with the facts in places, but it still succeeds as a great semi-biographical drama.

TOLKIEN is not a bad movie exactly. But it isn't a biopic. It's largely fiction. Really beautiful in places, the cast is great, and there are (too few) really moving scenes. But an accurate biographical film? Nope. Not even a little bitty bit.

Old 01-04-2020, 05:27 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,195,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Check out SHADOWLANDS, the movie with Anthony Hopkins as C.S. Lewis. It's a really good movie. It isn't a thorough biopic. It only covers his relationship with Joy Davidman, and it plays fairly loosely with the facts in places, but it still succeeds as a great semi-biographical drama.

TOLKIEN is not a bad movie exactly. But it isn't a biopic. It's largely fiction. Really beautiful in places, the cast is great, and there are (too few) really moving scenes. But an accurate biographical film? Nope. Not even a little bitty bit.
Oh I LOVED Shadowlands! I thought that Anthony Hopkins and Debra Winger were very well cast.

I watched Tolkien last night and thought it was decent but definitely not great.

Old 01-05-2020, 06:18 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,517,740 times
I haven’t seen it, but I have to say that if his faith is ignored then I’d probably be disappointed. Christianity was very important to Tolkien, both in shaping his research and writings as well as defining his personal relationships. Tolkien played a role in Lewis conversion to Christianity and their eventual fallout due to the latter’s embrace of the Anglican Church.

Old 01-05-2020, 06:41 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,582,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I haven’t seen it, but I have to say that if his faith is ignored then I’d probably be disappointed. Christianity was very important to Tolkien, both in shaping his research and writings as well as defining his personal relationships. Tolkien played a role in Lewis conversion to Christianity and their eventual fallout due to the latter’s embrace of the Anglican Church.
I read somewhere that Tolkien was very much into pagan culture but wasn’t able to find any pagans around where he lived.

The Sad Truth Of Tolkien Spirituality | The Sacred Sandwich

Old 01-05-2020, 08:57 AM

4,346 posts, read 2,252,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I read somewhere that Tolkien was very much into pagan culture but wasn’t able to find any pagans around where he lived.

The Sad Truth Of Tolkien Spirituality | The Sacred Sandwich
Wow - that link was so off the mark.

Folks with agendas....blech.

Old 01-05-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post

Not really His ideas were more Pagan then Christian that wasn’t where he admitted his fondness for the Pagan religion.

Old 01-06-2020, 06:43 AM

22,953 posts, read 28,365,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post

Yup. Tolkien was a devout Roman Catholic. He certainly admired a lot of what was good, true, beautiful, and virtuous in pre-Christian cultures. But he was not a pagan at heart. Anyone who has ever studied his work or even given a cursory glance at his biography should know this.

I suspect that link was written by someone of the evangelical / fundamentalist stripe, who have such a narrow view of the world and the Christian Faith that they cannot see beyond their own tunnel vision. Such people reject any whiff of paganism simply for being pagan. Which is stupid. Lots of good stuff came out of pagan cultures. Pants for one. I am eternally grateful for the pagan horse barbarians for the invention of pants. I just don't have the legs to make a kilt or toga work.

Old 01-06-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Yup. Tolkien was a devout Roman Catholic. He certainly admired a lot of what was good, true, beautiful, and virtuous in pre-Christian cultures. But he was not a pagan at heart. Anyone who has ever studied his work or even given a cursory glance at his biography should know this.

I suspect that link was written by someone of the evangelical / fundamentalist stripe, who have such a narrow view of the world and the Christian Faith that they cannot see beyond their own tunnel vision. Such people reject any whiff of paganism simply for being pagan. Which is stupid. Lots of good stuff came out of pagan cultures. Pants for one. I am eternally grateful for the pagan horse barbarians for the invention of pants. I just don't have the legs to make a kilt or toga work.
My mistake even though Tolkien’s stories were based on some Pagan myths it was CL.Lewis who was fascinated with Pagans.

https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct...6-28-12.0.html

The Light of Paganism | C.S. Lewis Quotes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies