Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 07:02 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,962,528 times

Advertisements

Just re-watched Thor Ragnarok. Noticed that Thanos's glove with the stones is on display in the castle hall.

However, Hella says everything is fake. After Thor hit Thanos and soon disappeared, the glove of Thanos is missing.

So....what happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 07:13 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Just re-watched Thor Ragnarok. Noticed that Thanos's glove with the stones is on display in the castle hall.

However, Hella says everything is fake. After Thor hit Thanos and soon disappeared, the glove of Thanos is missing.

So....what happened?
Folks speculate that the power channeled throw the gauntlet that Thanos needed to complete his mission burned it out. The Ragnarok scene served to clean up the continuity because in a scene previously a gauntlet for the wrong hand was used.

Old 05-19-2018, 02:37 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Going to see Movie tomorrow and I’ve read all the spoilers read the graphic novel years ago. In the scene where Thanos beats the Hulk, doesn’t he gave the power stone? I ask because the Beyonder scanned the hulk and said that the hulk didn’t have limit to his strength. Wanda isn’t strong in the same sense as the Hulk but she can change and has reailty.

Old 05-19-2018, 06:39 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Going to see Movie tomorrow and I’ve read all the spoilers read the graphic novel years ago. In the scene where Thanos beats the Hulk, doesn’t he gave the power stone? I ask because the Beyonder scanned the hulk and said that the hulk didn’t have limit to his strength. Wanda isn’t strong in the same sense as the Hulk but she can change and has reality
Oops

Old 05-20-2018, 07:45 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,986,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_roboto View Post
well the Vision was severely injured by CorbusGlaves Axe - and what ever its properties it caused massive injuries to the Vision and maybe it seems he was specifically chosen for that task ( maybe the movie should have made that clear )- so he was severely weakened

Proxima Midnight is an assassin and she could only be handled by both the Scarlett Witch ( her reality altering powers ) Black Widow (one of the best fighters in the world ) and Okoye ( who is the best of all fighters in Wakanda ...and has a vibranium spear which is a HUGE force multiplier fighting against an 9 foot tall alien assassin ) - she fled the first encounter only because she was protecting Glave because he was the one with the capacity to remove the stone from Vision

Vision was able to lift the hammer NOT because he was "strong" but because of the character of his ..."person" Thors hammer was mystical and as Odin stipulated you had to be "worthy" to wield it - thats why Cap could move it so slightly - the Hammer was MADE for Thor ( and as a result he could always wield it until Odin decided he wasnt "worthy" and banished him and his Hammer to Earth to learn some humility ) but Cap isnt a God - he is a mortal; Vision is neither mortal nor is he a God - he is a machine and a manifestation of the aspect of the Mind Stone - a thing from the beginning of the Universe before even Mjolnir was created...so "character-wise " he is much more pure than any mortal and thus can easily wield Mjolnir

Dr Strange went toe to toe with Thanos because of the Mystical abilities he has - Scarlet Witch had SOME effect because of her Reality altering power but by that time Thanos has the Gauntlet fully made and thus she really isnt any match for him ...Tony unleashed the biggest baddest most powerful weapons a regular person could conceive of building harnessing and using and all he got was a scratch ( which Thanos let him know and then he unleashed an ass whuppin on him )

as far as strength - Odin is now dead and being Odins Son Thor now has the "Odinpower"- Odins abilities and power level and yes sheer raw physical power ( as well as mystical power ) which is why ultimately he was the only one able to actually HIT and hurt Thanos and withstand the power of a star.

so when its all said and done as far as THE strongest Avenger its Thor by a mile and a Eon now since only he has the strength to fight Thanos

the Hulk got completely Tyson bodied and cowering in a corner from JUST a short fight with Thanos and ONE stone - Thor hit Thanos and HURT him when Thanos had all six ... so it shold be fair to say that Thor is pretty much now off the scale strong physically...

but maybe this Hulk will become the "Maestro"/Smart Hulk in the next installment ....so look for a Hulk power upgrade
Great post! Also, I had to rep you on that one. However, I have a few questions.

I'm not familiar with the comic books, but I saw a video that explained that Proxima Midnight's staff had the power of a star inside of it...

A Guide to the Villains of 'Avengers: Infinity War'

however, Captain America seemed to have caught it with ease.(Although, perhaps I shouldn't have watched the video. ) So did they change the IW villains from how they were in the comic books?

Also, I had forgot that Thor now has the Odinpower... but what I was wondering was: If Thor now has the Odinpower, why wasn't he able to defeat Hera?

Plus, it's pretty unanimous that Thor is the strongest Avenger... So who would be the next strongest one after him, and the next strongest one after that one, etc.?

Although, I would think that the Scarlet Witch would be the second strongest Avenger, and then the Vision would be the third(uninjured of course). But then there's a toss up in my mind between Iron Man and Doctor Strange as being the fourth strongest Avenger.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Old 05-20-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Here is the problem:

A fight between characters who can't be hurt is BORING.

These heroes need to be given less power, not more. Otherwise, there are no real stakes. Who loses and who wins doesn't really matter.
I think that you make a good point there, Mark. Because even though X-Men: Days of Future Past is one of highest grossing X-Men films, it still doesn't come close to any of the other mega Marvel characters films. Also, one of the things that I didn't like about that film is that the advanced Sentinels were virtually unstoppable. No one could do anything to put up a good fight against them or to stop them. And the only thing that really stopped them was a loophole in time and reality.

However, the fact that Thanos almost did get defeated is one of the reasons why I think that IW is such a huge hit compared to DOFP's $233,921,534 Domestic take and its $747,862,775 Worlwide take:

X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014) - Box Office Mojo

And of course a lot of other factors go into that.

Although, it ought to be interesting to see what Marvel Studios will do with the X-Men franchise and if they can produce a 'runaway' hit with it.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Am I the only one reading this thread who is reminded of the scene in Stand by Me where the boys are having a serious debate over whether Mighty Mouse could beat up Superman?
Well, I guess boys will be boys. (Although, I'm sure that there are some women posting in this thread. ) But that's funny, Aredhel. And nice comparison. Plus, I gave you a rep point for your post.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
After the last three MCU movies all the rest of the Avengers should be serving as scouts, being Thor's eyes and ears for him to bring the power. Rumor is Captain Marvel will push beyond Thor on the power scale.
Sounds like something to look forward to.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:43 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
Well, I guess boys will be boys. (Although, I'm sure that there are some women posting in this thread. ) But that's funny, Aredhel. And nice comparison. Plus, I gave you a rep point for your post.
Thanks - I’m glad I made you smile. And yes, we’re all boys (or girls) at heart!

Old 05-20-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Going to see Movie tomorrow and I’ve read all the spoilers read the graphic novel years ago. In the scene where Thanos beats the Hulk, doesn’t he gave the power stone? I ask because the Beyonder scanned the hulk and said that the hulk didn’t have limit to his strength. Wanda isn’t strong in the same sense as the Hulk but she can change and has reailty.
Quote:
Oops
Well, the movie has been out for almost a month now, therefore at this point, I would think that the people who haven't seen the movie yet would avoid this thread because of spoilers.

But what you said about the Hulk and the power stone was interesting, reed. Because I had once heard that the Hulk's strength was unlimited and that the angrier that he got, the stronger that he got. Also, I have no idea who the Beyonder is, but at the beginning of IW, Thanos had the power stone, therefore, I decided to look up what exactly the power stone was. And even though I seemed to have been getting a lot obscure answers as to what it was, I would say that around the best description of it would be:

Quote:
As for other stone, its purple hue indicates it’s the Power Stone, aka the Orb we first saw in James Gunn’s Guardians of the Galaxy. Ronan was tasked with stealing it for Thanos, only to be foiled by Peter Quill’s team, who decided it would be better protected by the Nova Corps. Ironically, Quill was the only one who could even partially handle and seemingly harness its power due to his bloodline (that of a Celestial, as Ego revealed in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.).

In the comics, the Stone is red and gives its users unlimited power and stamina, basically offering them godlike abilities, but in the MCU, the purple-hued gem’s power is much more lethal, seen as a somewhat of a virus that disintegrates any living material it comes into contact with. Decimating the Nova Corps to retrieve it would surely strike intimidation into the hearts of any opposition. It would make sense for Thanos to go for the easier smash-and-grab job first, as the Space Stone is merely housed on a ship with the Asgardian refugees, powering him up to then go after the full arsenal of the Nova Corps.
https://www.cbr.com/avengers-infinit...finity-stones/

Well, even I don't think that that was entirely clear, but I have a theory about something in Infinity War, and which might be a spoiler for the Avengers 4, therefore, I am going to use the spoiler tag:

Spoiler
Even though we have been ragging on the Hulk for getting his butt kicked by Thanos in IW and being scared to come out and help fight Thanos in the rest of the movie, I think that the power stone is involved with what happened to the Hulk in IW. But here is another quote that I found at another webstie:

Quote:
"The stone reacts to anything organic, the bigger the target, the bigger the power surge."
"All Ronan has to do is touch the stone to the planet's surface and zap, all plants, animals, Nova Corps..."
"Everything will die."

―Gamora and Star-Lord[src]
Power Stone | Marvel Cinematic Universe Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia

Also, GotG fans might understand this already, but see No. 15 in this link:

https://screenrant.com/avengers-infi...-trivia-facts/

Therefore, since Thanos had the power stone at the beginning of IW, I was wondering if the reason why he was able to defeat the Hulk so easily was because he had drained the Hulk's strength from his body into himself by means of the power stone, and perhaps the power stone was a threat to the Hulk's life that he could somehow sense. Therefore, in addition to wanting to save his own life, perhaps the Hulk was also trying to prevent Thanos from draining all his strength and becoming even that much more powerful.

Also, I noticed in an interview with the Russo brothers, they seemed to have made their explanation obscure as to why IW didn't show Thanos acquiring the power stone, even though I'm wondering if they were just trying to avoid discussion about the power stone to perhaps hide a big reveal in Avengers 4 in regards to a big turn-around with the Hulk which would involve a better understanding of the power stone:

Quote:
It's been a few weeks since Avengers: Infinity War arrived in theaters, and fans are still reeling from the emotional and unexpected ride. 10 years and 18 movies resulted in the massive ensemble project, and The Russo Brothers pulled no punches when killing off characters. Josh Brolin's Thanos was the film's protagonist, and audiences watched as he collected the Infinity Stones and brought an impending sense of dread. The acquisition of the Power Stone on Xandar was left off screen, to the dismay of the hardcore Guardians of the Galaxy fans out there. Now Joe Russo have explained this choice, saying:

"Because we thought it'd be one too many- there's so many stones he has to collect and you get into a trap and we thought- we knew where it was in Guardians- so it was easy to deal with it off screen."

It looks like The Russo Brothers were concerned about cramming too much action in Infinity War. Since the directors were balancing such a massive cast and larger than life villain, they probably made the right call.
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/241...he-power-stone

Mm-hmm.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies