Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 11:05 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,080,186 times

Advertisements

It's considered to be the movie that started the cop buddy genre, and it was a hit with audiences at the time. But I do not get what's so good about it. For one thing, I didn't find the characters believable at all.

SPOILERS

After Nick Nolte's character (Cates) is fed up with Eddie Murphy's character (Hammond), he then forces Hammond into an alley into a fistfight. But why? This fight will not solve anything and it just comes out of nowhere, and Cates was not really set up as a violent masochist, who likes to get into deadly fights, so it felt shoehorned in.

Also, Cates allows Hammond to terrorize a bar full of people with a gun threatening to shoot everyone if he doesn't get the answers he wants. What??? Why would a cop do that? Again the movie shows Cates, and possibly Hammond, to be psycho and out of there minds, but there was no prior set up to this. I don't know how Cates ever thinks he can make a case with this behavior.

And then in the third act of the movie, they do not where the villain and are wondering how to find them. One of them says that he could show up at his ex-gf's place, and we might as well go there and wait in case he does by small chance, and then it turns out by coincidence that he does.

It's as if the writers couldn't figure out how to end the movie so they just throw that coincidence in there, to get all the pieces to fall into place.

It also has the classic dumb cliche of a villain holding someone hostage, and tells the cop to drop his gun, an the cop actually does it. The villain is then free to kill the hostage, and does so. It made no sense for the cop drop his gun cause back up was already called and would have been there if he had just waited a few minutes.

Yet the movie was well liked by audiences and critics, so I feel maybe I missed something or I viewed it the wrong way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 11:14 PM

436 posts, read 303,207 times
you must be really bored

Actually I didn't like the movie all that much.

Just a shot in the dark

The only thing which might've been funny is that Nolte was a white guy dealing with a black guy and he likely didn't have much experience with that culture which makes for some interesting communications

Old 12-30-2017, 11:17 PM

I'm not an American at all, so I have to say I am not totally familiar with the culture and how it was in the early 80s, but I felt that the fact that one was white, and one was black didn't really make a difference for me in terms of how they communicated. I mean Nolte didn't think high of him cause he was a convict, and I think it would have been the same if they were both black or both white, but maybe I'm wrong.

Old 12-31-2017, 07:51 AM

2,915 posts, read 2,057,245 times
Most people did like it. I wasn't a fan though and I actually like Eddie Murphy. Wasn't a fan of Beverly Hills Cop also.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:20 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,030,737 times
You're watching movies that are part of a certain time period and/or the beginning of a genre and lamenting that you don't get it.
It's like saying "I don't get this model T" bc of course, compared to today's cars it's not a car you'd like.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:27 AM

2,915 posts, read 2,160,288 times
try this exercise: tell us about some movies you think were great and why.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:53 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,489,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
It's considered to be the movie that started the cop buddy genre, and it was a hit with audiences at the time. But I do not get what's so good about it. For one thing, I didn't find the characters believable at all.
In most comedies - particularly the sort of comedy that stars a stand-up comedian who is not acting so much as doing his stand-up routine - the characters aren't meant to be believable in any real world sense. I mean, how was Donkey in Shrek 'believable'? He wasn't. And it's irrelevant to the form.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
You're watching movies that are part of a certain time period and/or the beginning of a genre and lamenting that you don't get it.
It's like saying "I don't get this model T" bc of course, compared to today's cars it's not a car you'd like.
But I think I am fairly judging it for the time and feel that I get the genre. There are other cop buddy movies from the the time that I think are better, such as Lethal Weapon, The Enforcer and Red Heat. Red Heat was done by the same writer/director and I felt he did a much better job on that one.

Plus The Enforcer came out before 48 Hrs., and I felt it did a much better job at the cop buddy comedy genre.

Old 01-01-2018, 06:32 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,319,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post

SPOILERS

After Nick Nolte's character (Cates) is fed up with Eddie Murphy's character (Hammond), he then forces Hammond into an alley into a fistfight. But why? This fight will not solve anything and it just comes out of nowhere, and Cates was not really set up as a violent masochist, who likes to get into deadly fights, so it felt shoehorned in.

Also, Cates allows Hammond to terrorize a bar full of people with a gun threatening to shoot everyone if he doesn't get the answers he wants. What??? Why would a cop do that? Again the movie shows Cates, and possibly Hammond, to be psycho and out of there minds, but there was no prior set up to this. I don't know how Cates ever thinks he can make a case with this behavior.

And then in the third act of the movie, they do not where the villain and are wondering how to find them. One of them says that he could show up at his ex-gf's place, and we might as well go there and wait in case he does by small chance, and then it turns out by coincidence that he does.

It's as if the writers couldn't figure out how to end the movie so they just throw that coincidence in there, to get all the pieces to fall into place.

It also has the classic dumb cliche of a villain holding someone hostage, and tells the cop to drop his gun, an the cop actually does it. The villain is then free to kill the hostage, and does so. It made no sense for the cop drop his gun cause back up was already called and would have been there if he had just waited a few minutes.

Yet the movie was well liked by audiences and critics, so I feel maybe I missed something or I viewed it the wrong way.
I liked this movie - it had good action and comedy at the same time -- worth a watch.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:07 AM

5,254 posts, read 3,620,844 times
48 Hours has nothing great about it, never has been considered great either, other than for box office receipts. It's like asking "What's so great about Flashdance?" It is something that kept undemanding audiences amused for a short time, that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies