Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 12:44 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,294,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
I don't eat popcorn with butter, so I don't miss the theater's nasty tainted mutant GMO butter.
You get butter? We have butter flavored oil, possibly the most disgusting thing around. If they dumped a few barrels of this stuff on North Korea, they would surrender in a matter of hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 08:57 AM

4,491 posts, read 4,997,887 times
We always hit up the dollar store for candy and soda before we go to the movies.
4 dollars for 2 candies 2 sodas as opposed to 15 dollars for the same items at the consession stand.
Makes sense to me.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:07 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,637,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
If you want to get yourself banned from a theatre, bring in your fast food burger or chicken, or pistachio or other nuts in shell and leave the shells strewn around. Alcoholic beverages can also get you tossed out, as can the sound of a glass bottle rolling from your seat.
Nobody checks to see what you're eating during the movie. That would be disruptive. Too many people would complain. If somebody was shining a light up and down the rows, s/he would hear from me without delay.

Even then, how are they going to know who left all the nutshells?

Old 10-07-2017, 10:15 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,447,890 times
Quote:
NEVER buy popcorn at the theater. That stuff costs nothing to make.
A friend was addicted to popcorn ...LISTEN TO THIS! So she would glance in the trash and pull out LARGE empty popcorn bags....and get the free refill...new popcorn, someone else's bag!!!!!! With no tear taken out at the top.

Old 10-07-2017, 11:20 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,699,610 times
Yes we do but mostly only a bottle of water. I only go on the days in which I get discounts. I signed up free for their rewards cards, part of that deal is Tuesday's 50% off popcorn. Makes it MUCH more reasonable. If I go any other day or to a theater that doesn't offer it, I skip it. I have always brought a bottle of water with me in my bag and once I brought in a half full bag of Lance popcorn. My purses are medium size so things fit in just fine. It's just not a fun experience without food and drinks.

I refuse to ever buy drinks or candy at a theater, I think that's the worst deal as it's something so easily bought at a store whereas the movie theater popcorn is far different then your typical microwave popcorn or air popped stuff you have at home. Movie theater popcorn is much more a treat that you can't normally have. I always skip the butter though, never cared for the taste of it, surprised they don't charge extra for that!

Really if they didn't price gouge their candy and drinks or other food, we would be find buying it there. The markup is insane though.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:01 PM

23,627 posts, read 70,582,440 times
Quote:
Nobody checks to see what you're eating during the movie. That would be disruptive. Too many people would complain. If somebody was shining a light up and down the rows, s/he would hear from me without delay.

Even then, how are they going to know who left all the nutshells?
LOL! You don't know all the ways that people in auditoriums can be observed. The projection booth afforded me some excellent views of "interesting" entertainment over the years, the fellow near you could be what is called a "blind" checker from the film company or an employee taking a busman's holiday, ushers walk to the front of the auditorium and look back at the audience illuminated in the full glow of the light from the screen. These days, security cameras may be watching you and recording you. It pays to know which customers take knives to expensive seating or cause disruptions.

In old school presentations, it was required that ushers walk the aisles every twenty minutes to maintain order. I can't count the number of people I've instructed to get their feet off the seat in front of them or asked if they wanted to hand over the bottle or have to leave the theatre. These days, you are most likely to see something similar at the G rated matinees. That usher walking the aisles is protecting your kids from pedophiles and bullies.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:08 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,637,388 times
I prefer to sit at the end of a row, because I put a leg up on the armrest of the chair in front of me. Nobody has ever said a thing!

Also, I've eaten all kinds of food I've taken in: Doritos, hot dogs, a sandwich, candy bars, nuts, you name it. Nobody in the employ of the theater has ever said anything to me or anyone I'm with. Ever.

So either they're not using blind checkers, or they just don't give a toss. And if they've recorded me, fine. I always go to the same theater, i.e. the nearest one.

I can recall only one time an usher came in to watch somebody near the top row. He stopped and leaned on the rail a few feet away from me. I almost got up and told him to move it, because he was a distraction.

Old 10-07-2017, 02:22 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,643,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Anyone sneak food into movie theaters?

I used to years ago but these days I just buy the popcorn and soda from the concession stand. I don't know how strict theaters are about these things.
I don’t do it just because I don’t usually feel a need to eat while at the movies. I actually went to the movies today and I brought some fries in with me in a small bag, just because I didn’t want to leave them in the car. lol I didn’t eat them during the movie though.

Old 10-07-2017, 04:08 PM

16,430 posts, read 12,568,334 times
Went to the movies today. Bought a bag of popcorn, a bottle of water, and a bag of jerky (I hadn't had lunch and needed some protein).

Old 10-09-2017, 08:33 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,541,544 times
Rarely go to the movies anymore. If we do, we go to the one that has food served in the theater.

But back in the day I would always stop at a store on the way for candy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies