Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 12:01 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,126,626 times

Advertisements

Well the thing is, is that I actually wrote a feature length screenplay of this story that I want to do, and I made the short film of the story to get my feet wet with doing a movie of such subject matter. So I was planning to redo it as a debut feature length, and will do another casting.

But if I don't go with who has the most acting talent, I feel like I may be selling out, or am always weary and not comfortable at the idea of casting someone who is not the best choice acting wise. Is it possible to grab the audience and make them agree with the story, even if they don't agree with the character's looks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 02:51 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,986,456 times
Ask yourself this...why do you make movies? Do you do it because YOU have great stories to tell and want to share your art with other people? Or do you want to make the same old crap everyone else puts out?

It is your story to tell. Tell it your way.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:26 AM

9,486 posts, read 7,149,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I am film student, and aspiring film director. I made a few short films so far, and one of them was is a crime thriller/drama, that deals with a rape crime and the consequences that unfold from it.

I showed it to my friends and others to get opinions on it, and some of them said that I should have cast a better looking actress in the role. But it's about a rape crime though. Who cares if the woman is goodlooking or not when it comes that kind of subject matter or themes? I mean it's not like this is a James Bond movie, where people would expect a goodlooking female character, for that type of story universe.

I cast based on the actress's acting talent, and doing the best job in the audition, and not her looks.

Now I don't mean to sound like I am complaining about the feedback on here. I love getting feedback and constructive criticism. I am just surprised on the feedback, and thought people were perhaps making too big of deal on looks maybe.

So I am wondering if perhaps looks is a big deal and I should take that into consideration more, even if the role of the story isn't about looks?

But what do you think?
I would argue if you go back and watch rape revenge movies that many of the victims are not attractive (at least by classic standards).

For example the swede version of girl with the dragon tattoo. The dr takes advantage of her and I think the audience relates to her situation better due to the fact she isn't beautiful. The premise is based upon her looks that nobody would believe that he (educated therapist) raped the freak girl.

http://images.static-bluray.com/reviews/4918_1.jpg

Old 10-03-2017, 10:33 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,342,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Well the thing is, is that I actually wrote a feature length screenplay of this story that I want to do, and I made the short film of the story to get my feet wet with doing a movie of such subject matter. So I was planning to redo it as a debut feature length, and will do another casting.

But if I don't go with who has the most acting talent, I feel like I may be selling out, or am always weary and not comfortable at the idea of casting someone who is not the best choice acting wise. Is it possible to grab the audience and make them agree with the story, even if they don't agree with the character's looks?
My attention is grabbed not by the character's looks but rather by the story and how well it's written. You are focusing on a particular violent crime, not the character's attractiveness, because rape doesn't happen simply because of what a person looks like.

Old 10-07-2017, 02:40 PM

21,133 posts, read 8,946,416 times
The victim has to be sympathetic to draw the audience in

Old 10-07-2017, 02:48 PM

534 posts, read 497,199 times
People are really, really weird about physical appearance. There is another thread on here recently that was shaming an older woman who was exposing too much skin...because she was older, it was "trashy" and "desperate", and other posters felt the same if the woman was young but overweight.

Sometimes I think "patriarchy" is just a telescope of a penis that everyone looks through. Everything is judged in relation to whether or not it will give men a boner. Religion tries to control women's expression and behavior to keep them from giving men boners, and popular culture praises women who give men boners. Even women look through this penis lens. It's so weird!

Go with your gut. If your try to be pleasing to everybody (most of whom are looking unconsciously through the penis lens), you miss out on so much humanity, the 'below the surface' juiciness. It's like the chaos part of the Mandelbrot....that's where the change happens!

Old 10-08-2017, 07:01 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,126,626 times
Okay thanks. It of course was not my intention to give any boners with this type of story, but I can try to come up with a middleground next time perhaps, or just go with my gut. There were however, a fair amount of people who didn't mention the victims looks as being a problem at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies