Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 07:20 AM

26,850 posts, read 27,021,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
But what did he contribute exactly?. I mean he is no Oscar Schindler, Ghandi, or Malcolm X
You would want to start by putting him in the context of contributions from great musicians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 09:28 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,496,410 times
Quote:
Oh okay. But what did he contribute exactly?. I mean he is no Oscar Schindler, Ghandi, or Malcolm X, as far as contributing to society goes by comparison. I mean he contributed to the hippie drug movement from what the movie depicts but is that much of a contribution?
He didn't save lives, but the cultural contributions of The Doors, of which Morrison was no small part, are significant. You don't have to appreciate the artistic merits of those contributions to understand that. Did Ritchie Valens have to contribute as much as Ghandi for La Bamba to be a worthy film? Is Sid and Nancy an unworthy film because of Sid Vicious could barely play bass, and was the third or perhaps even fourth most relevant Sex Pistol? (behind Rotten, Jones, and probably manager McLaren) Must Hunter S. Thompson have saved hundreds from the Holocaust for Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas to be an acceptable film?

Not to me.

Anyway, The Doors is far more a visual and audio experience than a plot-driven tale. Some might not like it because it doesn't have a properly heroic protagonist, and that's fine for those whose subjective tastes require such a lead character. But if you're going to dismiss protagonists because 'they didn't affect as much positive social change as Ghandi!' then you're not going to be watching many films.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:10 AM

22,961 posts, read 28,404,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
You would want to start by putting him in the context of contributions from great musicians.
Which Morrison was not. The other guys in the Doors were good musicians. Morrison was not. I would put Morrison in a line-up with the likes of:

Milli Vanilli
Sid Vicious
Dane Cook
Richard Simmons
Dr. Phil
Paris Hilton
The Olsen Twins
The GEICO cavemen
The GEICO gecko
Elmo

In other words: Entertainers who succeeded despite their glaring lack of talent.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:07 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,092,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
He didn't save lives, but the cultural contributions of The Doors, of which Morrison was no small part, are significant. You don't have to appreciate the artistic merits of those contributions to understand that. Did Ritchie Valens have to contribute as much as Ghandi for La Bamba to be a worthy film? Is Sid and Nancy an unworthy film because of Sid Vicious could barely play bass, and was the third or perhaps even fourth most relevant Sex Pistol? (behind Rotten, Jones, and probably manager McLaren) Must Hunter S. Thompson have saved hundreds from the Holocaust for Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas to be an acceptable film?

Not to me.

Anyway, The Doors is far more a visual and audio experience than a plot-driven tale. Some might not like it because it doesn't have a properly heroic protagonist, and that's fine for those whose subjective tastes require such a lead character. But if you're going to dismiss protagonists because 'they didn't affect as much positive social change as Ghandi!' then you're not going to be watching many films.
Yeah that's true. I guess I just didn't see it as much of a contribution, and if The Doors never existed, people still would have payed attention to other rock bands, and life still would have went on pretty much the same, wouldn't it have?

I just didn't find the contribution emotionally moving at all I guess.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:53 AM

26,850 posts, read 27,021,672 times
Quote:
I guess I just didn't see it as much of a contribution, and if The Doors never existed, people still would have payed attention to other rock bands, and life still would have went on pretty much the same, wouldn't it have?
I suppose that you really had to be alive then to appreciate The Doors. The impact of their songs at the time was profound. I don't see how a film like this could do justice to Morrison, the band, or the era.

"Light My Fire" is one of the NPR 100, our list of the most significant American musical works of the last century:

Set The Night On Fire: Behind The Doors' 'Light My Fire' : NPR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies