Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2017, 09:40 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,954,604 times

Advertisements

So I was listening to a movie podcast and they were talking about spoiler alerts and at what point is it others responsibility to NOT be spoiled.

I was recently sitting around with some friends and we were talking about a bunch of random stuff and someone said something that made me say
Spoiler
Soylent Green is people!
. Then someone asks me what the hell that meant and I told them and they replied " god spoiler alert!"

How old does a movie have to be before we can reference it, not spoil it or be able to just talk about it without getting yelled at or ripped a new one for spoiling it?

One guy on the podcast made a joke saying he was just going to shout SPOILER ALERT every day and that should just cover him for the whole day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 09:51 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Even before the term "spoiler alert" was a "thing," I always tried to be considerate and ask if the person I'm talking to had seen the movie I was going to reference, and if they had plans to see it. If they hadn't seen it, the reference likely would have made no sense to them anyway, so there would be no point in referencing it.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:25 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,988,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
How old does a movie have to be before we can reference it, not spoil it or be able to just talk about it without getting yelled at or ripped a new one for spoiling it?
There should be no age. Because I still scratch my head to know that they had this, and still have this for the DVD cover art for the 1968 version of Planet of the Apes:

I mean, it's like: Why bother seeing the movie after seeing that image?

Also, nice topic, FluidFreedom.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
Although, that actually depends on what side of the issue that you are on. And I should have thought of that before I repped you.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:03 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,954,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
There should be no age. Because I still scratch my head to know that they had this, and still have this for the DVD cover art for the 1968 version of Planet of the Apes:

I mean, it's like: Why bother seeing the movie after seeing that image?

Oh wow...yeah that poster says it all doesn't it?

I try to be respectful of the fact that people probably do not watch as many movies as I do and so I will be careful about spoilers, but that podcast just really got me thinking about spoiler alerts.

And thanks...I hadn't seen this topic on here, so I thought it would be interesting to get everyone's view on it.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:25 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
I don't worry about it all that much. The art from Planet had a similar image on the re-release posters IIRC. I don't see kids getting ticked because they have seen a Jack In The Box work once, and now know the outcome.

Spoiler alerts were intended for cozy mysteries, where much of the fun was seeing the action and trying to figure out whodunnit before the reveal. The best spoiler alerts were Tim Hutton's in the "Ellery Queen" tv series, where he broke the fourth wall to announce the reveal was coming up.

The big spoiler alert for Soylent Green is not that it is people, but that it looks suspiciously like the genesis of Al Gore's thesis.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I don't worry about it all that much. The art from Planet had a similar image on the re-release posters IIRC. I don't see kids getting ticked because they have seen a Jack In The Box work once, and now know the outcome.
Huh?

Quote:
Spoiler alerts were intended for cozy mysteries, where much of the fun was seeing the action and trying to figure out whodunnit before the reveal. The best spoiler alerts were Tim Hutton's in the "Ellery Queen" tv series, where he broke the fourth wall to announce the reveal was coming up.
But the planet that they had crash landed on in the 1968 POTA was a mystery.

Quote:
The big spoiler alert for Soylent Green is not that it is people, but that it looks suspiciously like the genesis of Al Gore's thesis.
Hmmm.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:51 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,550,990 times
I was SO glad no one spoiled 'The Matrix' or 'The Usual Suspects' before I'd seen them, and when I would suggest friends see those or similar films I made it a point to insist that they avoid ALL spoilers, just see the films with no outside input whatsoever (people have afterwards thanked me for this).

On the other hand it's quite foolish when some moron clicks on a thread clearly labeled 'SPOILERS!!!' and then complains about being spoiled.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:40 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,146,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
I can only answer for myself - there is no time limit. If you haven't seen it, it can be spoiled. Just because one of The Plant of the Apes (1968) posters contained an ending spoiler, it's still unacceptable.

In one review I recently read, in the first two sentences he says:

I rarely see a movie so original that I want to tell people to just see it without reading any reviews beforehand, including my own. David Lowery’s “A Ghost Story” is one of those movies. So I’m urging you in the first paragraph of this review to just see it and save this review for later.

A Ghost Story

I always seek out Matt Zoller Seitz' reviews, as I'm in agreement with them the majority of the time. Like with Roger Ebert.

Old 10-08-2017, 04:50 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,248,700 times
I had always heard the term "rosebud" said in a knowing sort of way. I won't say what I thought they were referring to, lol. Anyway, once I watched that very old movie, I was REALLY glad I had never heard a spoiler about it.

On a side note, we were in line for tickets at the theater a couple weeks ago. A guy behind us was bellowing at someone he knew and had spotted there. They both had seen "mother!" Neither one had enjoyed it, apparently. Then the guy behind us shouts across the entire courtyard area:
Spoiler
"How'd you like it when they ate the BABY?!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies