Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 11:40 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,648,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
As you know Marvel did do Planet Hulk movie and I don't see them doing a live version of it. Only the true Hulk fans would like it. Everyone likes the Hulk/Thor dynamic which is why we have this movie instead. It looks good NOT great and it will make money just not totally make comic book fans happy.
These movies are made for general audiences, not comic book readers. If readers comprised the target audience, they'd be significantly different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 11:54 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,592,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
These movies are made for general audiences, not comic book readers. If readers comprised the target audience, they'd be significantly different.

Nor would these movie make the money they do now.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Nor would these movie make the money they do now.
Correct.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:22 PM

22,961 posts, read 28,393,569 times
Quote:
As you know Marvel did do Planet Hulk movie and I don't see them doing a live version of it. Only the true Hulk fans would like it.
I am a Hulk fan. I hated Planet Hulk. Both comics and movie. It's just not what the character is about. Turning the Hulk into an extraterrestrial gladiator would be like turning Batman into a nocturnal ice cream man.

Quote:
Everyone likes the Hulk/Thor dynamic which is why we have this movie instead.
I hate the Hulk/Thor dynamic. I've never been a big Thor fan, I'll admit, but even so, the characters are totally different thematically. Thor is a science fiction take on heroic mythology. Thor fights giants and demons and magic. Hulk was a creature of science, and the heart and soul of that character was a monster trapped in a weakling's body. That is who and what Hulk is. It is the Banner/Hulk conflict that makes him interesting. But all Marvel wants to do with him (in both movies and comics) for the past ten years is smash, smash, SMASH. Boring.

Quote:
It looks good NOT great and it will make money just not totally make comic book fans happy.
It looks goofy and stupid to me, but I am hardly this movie's target audience.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:43 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,592,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

I am a Hulk fan. I hated Planet Hulk. Both comics and movie. It's just not what the character is about. Turning the Hulk into an extraterrestrial gladiator would be like turning Batman into a nocturnal ice cream man.

I hate the Hulk/Thor dynamic.

Last thing I saw you like was WW. Hulk always wanted peace and to be left alone. He found peace there but it didn't last and also found a place to belong too. Again that didn't last either.

Would of been a nice story of have him rule raise a family and deal with being king for a good while.

So I thought.

Old 08-12-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Last thing I saw you like was WW.
I did like Wonder Woman. I liked the new Spidery flick. Can't say I absolutely loved either, but I liked them.

Quote:
Hulk always wanted peace and to be left alone. He found peace there but it didn't last and also found a place to belong too. Again that didn't last either.
Meh. HULK without Banner is boring. Banner without HULK is insufferable. They both need and hate each other. All this Planet Hulk, Red Hulk, P.I. Hulk, etc. is just silly gimmickry.

Old 08-12-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
All this Planet Hulk, Red Hulk, P.I. Hulk, etc. is just silly gimmickry.
Sorry, dude, this story's awesome. Incredible Hulk #140 (1971). A Harlan Ellison concept/plot (script by Roy Thomas). If you've never read it, you should. The story picks up from Avengers #88 (also by Ellison/Thomas).

Quote:
Synopsis for "The Brute ... That Shouted Love... At the Heart of the Atom"

The Avengers have just broken into the lair of Psyklop who was attempting to shrink the Hulk down to size for better study. However, while Psyklop was distracted by the Avengers attack, the Hulk is exposed to the shrink ray longer than Psyklop intended, and the Hulk soon finds himself shrunk down to microscopic size. Psyklop then transports the Avengers back to New York before trying to figure out what happened to the Hulk.

The Hulk has appeared on a micro-world where he is attacked by a giant boa-like creature, which he easily kills with his super strength. Jumping in great leaps the Hulk comes spots a large city and begins to travel towards it. On the way, he notices that the city is under attack by giant boars, and so the Hulk fights off the creatures.

The Hulk finds that the people of this city are green skinned just like him, and praise him as a hero, and is brought before their leader princess Jarella. Unable to understand their language, Jarella has some of her best sorcerers to use their magic powers to teach the Hulk their language. In doing so they also manage to awaken Bruce Banner's mind in the Hulk's body. Jarella takes the Hulk as her consort.

That night, Lord Visis, who plots to usurp Jarellas thrown sends assassins to kill the Hulk, however, the Hulk manages to fight off his attackers and defeat Visis and put him to trial for his crimes, where he is sent to exile. With Visis defeated, the Hulk and Jarella plan to marry. However, at that point, Psyklops has tracked down the Hulk and arrives on Jarella's micro-world in giant size and seizes the Hulk and takes him back to Earth.

On Earth, the Hulk reverts back to his normal mentality and goes on a rampage, easily defeating Psyklop and escaping, which leaves Psyklop at the mercy of the Dark Gods who punish him for his failure.
Incredible Hulk Vol 1 140 | Marvel Database | FANDOM powered by Wikia

No happy ending to that one. I first read it as a kid because it's one of three excellent stories collected in this 1982 color paperback collection, which I still own (it's right next to me now). The first story is the one from Avengers #88 ("The Summons of Psyklop"), the middle story is the one above, and the third story is "They Shoot Hulks, Don't They?" from Incredible Hulk #142, which is another unusual story for the green brute.

Old 08-12-2017, 03:41 PM

P.S. That is one awesome Bob Larkin painting!

Old 08-12-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Sorry, dude, this story's awesome. Incredible Hulk #140 (1971). A Harlan Ellison concept/plot (script by Roy Thomas). If you've never read it, you should. The story picks up from Avengers #88 (also by Ellison/Thomas).
You're wasting your keystrokes. I have never been able to get in to Ellison's fiction, no matter how hard I try, and your summary is a good example of why. Just too "out there" and weird and surreal for my tastes. If you like it, more power to you. I know Ellison has his fans. I am not one of them.

That said, Ellison's collection of non-fiction essays The Glass Teat is one of the best critiques of pop culture TV ever written.

Old 08-12-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
You're wasting your keystrokes.
Hardly. You're not the only user reading these threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies