Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 06:26 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times

Advertisements

This movie is not showing many places so likely won't draw many comments--
But we saw it today and I enjoyed it
Thought it had a decent script, good direction, and a cast that were VERY good at what they were called to do
John Lithgow was excellent -- best drama role for him since "Terms of Endearment" maybe
Connie Britton keeps proving I should go back and watch all of Friday Night Lights...
But Selma Hayek did what I thought was very good job in making Beatriz believable--with her mysticism and compassion and edginess...
Hayek herself lives in the same rarified strata as the people whose dinner party she crashed but also with more of a conscience...

If anyone has also see it, I have a question--
In the past would have gone to IMDB and asked on the forums--but they aren't there (and I miss them)...
So if you saw it would be interested in your assessment...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 08:19 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,137,018 times
Thanks. I may go see this.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:32 AM

I just thought it was an adult movie about decisions that matter-after so much teen-age and younger fare on offer...about fake problems...
Many people don't care for Selma Hayek but she is good actress and she is restrained and focused in this role...

Old 07-12-2017, 05:16 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,818 times
I want to see this. Salma is an underrated actress, and hot as eff, too — ever since Desperado, and still sssmokin'!

Old 07-14-2017, 07:10 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
I have a chance to see this on the weekend...any other opinions? Critics seem to like it more than general audiences?

Old 09-13-2017, 01:09 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
This movie was awful ham fisted and just wasn't done well. Salma Hayek ruined the film she was so lousy, either that or she was directed to act that way. She came off like a mentally handicapped person to me the whole time. SPOILERS!!!!

I get that she was probably dealing with the loss of her child I get that, but how she interacted with people around her just didn't ring true of someone with basic intelligence. She would interrupt conversations, didn't read the room to see how the conversation flow was happening, she didn't get "good company" polite hints when the conversation was constantly being shifted away from what she was talking about. Just things like that the whole time. She's standing back with a weird vapid look watching all the people and how they are interacting. We're supposed to see the silly shallow vainness and shame them. The director was just too much. It didn't work for me.

The parallel being drawn against Trump was blatant. I don't care either way, but it was pretty much there. The big real estate mogul who's obnoxious, I mean come on. The new age-y goodness against the evil rich greedy real estate developer. I find greedy people obnoxious too, but it was just how it was done.

Silly and boring. John Lithgow was great as always.

1 maybe 2 out of 5 for me.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:21 PM

Well, they made the movie before Trump was running I believe so you can't automatically think it was targeted at him...but supposedly he approached her several years ago and she was married and she doesn't care for him...

I didn't see the movie as "ham-fisted" just that Beatriz has long gone past social niceities due to her personal experiences and more spiritual nature. Compare w/ CONNIE Brittan's character case in point
She obviously was still shackled by some of the "let's be nice to the guy who can make us rich" attitudes when she didn't really believe them---or at least purported to be more kind and caring...
Her daughter likely had a true/real relationship with Beatriz because her daughter obviously rejected many of her parents more commercial aspects...and the mom didn't have the honesty to see why...

Hayek had a character who was oblivious to coming into people's personal space herself--
Although she didn't like it when people did it to her
You see that very often in real life....

But agree John Lithgow is so great in serious or comedy roles...
He was in The Accountant and played another real weasel so very well...
And bet he enjoyed it...

Old 09-13-2017, 03:36 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Well, they made the movie before Trump was running I believe so you can't automatically think it was targeted at him...but supposedly he approached her several years ago and she was married and she doesn't care for him...

I didn't see the movie as "ham-fisted" just that Beatriz has long gone past social niceities due to her personal experiences and more spiritual nature. Compare w/ CONNIE Brittan's character case in point
She obviously was still shackled by some of the "let's be nice to the guy who can make us rich" attitudes when she didn't really believe them---or at least purported to be more kind and caring...
Her daughter likely had a true/real relationship with Beatriz because her daughter obviously rejected many of her parents more commercial aspects...and the mom didn't have the honesty to see why...

Hayek had a character who was oblivious to coming into people's personal space herself--
Although she didn't like it when people did it to her
You see that very often in real life....

But agree John Lithgow is so great in serious or comedy roles...
He was in The Accountant and played another real weasel so very well...
And bet he enjoyed it...
Red Box and Netflix user reviews gave it a pretty low rating. I am glad you enjoyed it, everyone takes away something different from a movie.

I just found it sorta odd. Like I said she wasn't believable, to me anyway. She gets invited to dinner because clearly it was the polite thing to do that being said she should have just shut up and keep her opinions to herself. She was told it was a business meeting for the wife's husband. She rudely interrupted several people she spoke out of turn several times. She was clearly politely trying to be told to "mellow out" with the polite conversation shifts. She blows up and throws the phone at the jerky guy. She was told to leave via going to the bedroom. She comes back down and even after seeing the shock on the people's faces then dominates the conservation some more. The only nice person to her was the wife and she tells her to shut up in her own home while she's ranting at Lithgow. She then has to get physically removed by the husband.

I also get that they were condescending to her a bit especially the Lithgow character asking to make her a drink assuming that she was a maid. I get that part too, I just found her to be obnoxious. I found all the people there to be gross, but whatever.

You don't go into someone's house and act like that. It just isn't polite. I don't care if she's tired of those type of people it's just not the time or the place to act that way. People extend a polite hand to you via asking to stay over and that's how she acts?? She should have just internally rolled her eyes at the group and politely just shut the hell up til it was time to go.

Of course if she did all that we wouldn't have had a movie.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:22 PM

19,383 posts, read 15,220,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
This movie is not showing many places so likely won't draw many comments--
But we saw it today and I enjoyed it
Thought it had a decent script, good direction, and a cast that were VERY good at what they were called to do
John Lithgow was excellent -- best drama role for him since "Terms of Endearment" maybe
Connie Britton keeps proving I should go back and watch all of Friday Night Lights...
But Selma Hayek did what I thought was very good job in making Beatriz believable--with her mysticism and compassion and edginess...
Hayek herself lives in the same rarified strata as the people whose dinner party she crashed but also with more of a conscience...

If anyone has also see it, I have a question--
In the past would have gone to IMDB and asked on the forums--but they aren't there (and I miss them)...
So if you saw it would be interested in your assessment
Just curious, loves, was that your question, people's assessment of the movie, or was it something more direct?

Old 10-10-2017, 12:01 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,585 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Red Box and Netflix user reviews gave it a pretty low rating. I am glad you enjoyed it, everyone takes away something different from a movie.

I just found it sorta odd. Like I said she wasn't believable, to me anyway. She gets invited to dinner because clearly it was the polite thing to do that being said she should have just shut up and keep her opinions to herself. She was told it was a business meeting for the wife's husband. She rudely interrupted several people she spoke out of turn several times. She was clearly politely trying to be told to "mellow out" with the polite conversation shifts. She blows up and throws the phone at the jerky guy. She was told to leave via going to the bedroom. She comes back down and even after seeing the shock on the people's faces then dominates the conservation some more. The only nice person to her was the wife and she tells her to shut up in her own home while she's ranting at Lithgow. She then has to get physically removed by the husband.

I also get that they were condescending to her a bit especially the Lithgow character asking to make her a drink assuming that she was a maid. I get that part too, I just found her to be obnoxious. I found all the people there to be gross, but whatever.

You don't go into someone's house and act like that. It just isn't polite. I don't care if she's tired of those type of people it's just not the time or the place to act that way. People extend a polite hand to you via asking to stay over and that's how she acts?? She should have just internally rolled her eyes at the group and politely just shut the hell up til it was time to go.

Of course if she did all that we wouldn't have had a movie.
Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 77%. I'm a big movie snob, frankly. Movies that the critics like, I like. I liked it about 77%. ;D I also thought it was authentic that Lithgow gave her another chance to explain herself. I also thought the shallow women were believable. Not the best movie ever, but it was good, IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies