Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2021, 01:58 PM

512 posts, read 322,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Fresh off the heels of ZSJL...

‘Batgirl’ Movie: J. K. Simmons in Talks to Return to Batman Universe as Commissioner Gordon (Exclusive)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...n-1234986858/#!
That's awesome! Someone talented like JK survived the utter clusterflop, streaming viewers bomb that the Snyderturd, um, Snydercut was.
He survived.
Snyder did not, and neither his "Snyderverse," both of which WB thankfully got rid of.

Old 07-30-2021, 02:39 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,636,663 times
Zack Snyder didn't just "survive," he WON, you ****. He made ZSJL and people (even haters like you) loved it.

Meanwhile, the presence of actors like Simmons, Davis and Robbie affirm the fact that new movies are set in the same continuity that Zack established and Patty Jenkins, James Wan, and David Sandberg — and now James Gunn — have worked within but you're much too nearsighted and stubborn to acknowledge it.

Must be fun living in Bizarro World...

Old 08-03-2021, 11:54 PM

Holy ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Suicide Squad is a brilliant, BRILLIANT film. This is how you make dark movies.
It's dark as ****, but it is funny, fun, and full of heart and charm.

See, the problem with Snyder's "dark" films is that he utterly fails (100 % of the time) at creating compelling characters whose narrative arcs are coherent and sensical. Snyder also has a "throw everything at the screen to see what sticks" problem: he crams cliche after cliche after cliche (which is not necessarily bad), but his character work is sloppy and shallow.
On the other hand, James Gunn's films are trashy, gory, stupid (and stupid funny), and they have a pitch black heart, but they always go hand in hand with strong storytelling and a sharp sense of characterization. This is what makes Gunn's film triumph with critics and audiences at large, while Snyder's turds get critically lambasted and rejected by audiences. Christopher Nolan is another director who, unlike Snyder, can actually do dark well.

I am so glad that Snyder will NEVER direct a DCEU film again (thanks, Ms. Sarnoff!!! ), because people like James Gunn and Andy Musketti (It, the upcoming Flash film), who repeatedly create great films that get great reviews (something Snyder cannot do if he tried), are helping get the DCEU back on track narratively, emotionally, and critically.

I am not gonna lie: I would have loved to see Starro make its live-action debut in a Justice League film, but we all know how badly Snyder messed up the potential that a Justice League film had as an IP, a monemaking endeavor, and a franchise.
So, since it's gonna take a while longer for audiences to forget the stench of Snyder's and Whedon's JL, a new JL film isn't gonna happen anytime soon.
At least Starro in TSS was fricking awesomely realized.

Old 08-04-2021, 06:43 AM

22,947 posts, read 28,350,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post
See, the problem with Snyder's "dark" films is that he utterly fails (100 % of the time) at creating compelling characters whose narrative arcs are coherent and sensical. Snyder also has a "throw everything at the screen to see what sticks" problem: he crams cliche after cliche after cliche (which is not necessarily bad), but his character work is sloppy and shallow.
I don't disagree. I can count on one finger the number of Zack Snyder movies I have liked. As a director, he seems to have the attention span for video games and music videos, not stories.

What is really annoying about Snyder really isn't Snyder. It's the Snyder cultists. See: https://www.cbr.com/james-gunn-suici...eview-bombing/

But dude. Seriously. You are falling into the opposite trap. Is it possible for you to comment on a movie without bashing Zack Snyder? His work isn't worth the attention you give it.

Quote:
On the other hand, James Gunn's films are trashy, gory, stupid (and stupid funny), and they have a pitch black heart, but they always go hand in hand with strong storytelling and a sharp sense of characterization. This is what makes Gunn's film triumph with critics and audiences
You may be right. Gunn is riding his own wave at the moment. But I suspect his beloved "style" may soon start to feel "one note" if he doesn't try to do something different. When someone's tongue is constantly in his cheek, eventually you're gonna want to punch it.

Quote:
Christopher Nolan is another director who, unlike Snyder, can actually do dark well.
I know I'm in the minority here, but I just don't feel the love for Nolan movies. I like them. I don't love them. They certainly look beautiful --- second perhaps only to Ridley Scott. But he's obsessed with being a smartypants. Trying to surprise and delight your audience is great. Trying to confuse and befuddle them, not so much. I get the impression Nolan is obsessed with being the smartest guy in the room. And he can't direct a coherent fight scene to save his life. His fight scenes are a mess.

Last edited by Mark S.; 08-04-2021 at 07:06 AM..

Old 08-04-2021, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
But dude. Seriously. You are falling into the opposite trap. Is it possible for you to comment on a movie without bashing Zack Snyder?
He cannot. He's mental. It should be, uh, a little obvious by now.

Quote:
His work isn't worth the attention you give it.
Even I don't like everything Zack's done, but this isn't a time for a side-swipe.

Old 08-04-2021, 08:09 AM

22,947 posts, read 28,350,952 times
"Obsession is the single most wasteful human activity, because with an obsession you keep coming back and back and back to the same question and never get an answer." (NORMAN MAILER)

Old 08-04-2021, 09:35 AM

In other news, it looks like both Henry Cavill and Ben Affleck are appearing in the Flash movie.

Old 08-04-2021, 10:47 AM

Quote:
[Nolan] is obsessed with being a smartypants. Trying to surprise and delight your audience is great. Trying to confuse and befuddle them, not so much. I get the impression Nolan is obsessed with being the smartest guy in the room. And he can't direct a coherent fight scene to save his life. His fight scenes are a mess.
I wholeheartedly agree with everything here^^^.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:20 AM

Nolan has made some great films. The Dark Knight is still regarded by many as the best CBM.

Interstellar is excellent and probably my personal favorite, or at least tied with TDK.

TENET is a very good movie, but it will suffer in any viewing outside the theater where one cannot fully commit to it.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:31 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,591,395 times
^memento.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies