Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 08:51 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times

Advertisements

I focus on the positive, as the negative will hold such a small percentage if you choose what you see wisely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 12:05 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I would sit through Paul Blart Mall Cop while someone stapled my calves together rather than sit through BEACHES again. Watching BEACHES is like putting on your sister's dress and sitting in a dark closet while you pour salt into your eyelids just so that you can cry like a little girl.

I watched BEACHES when I was 16 because a girl I liked wanted to watch it. When it was over and she liked it, I no longer liked the girl. That's how much I hated BEACHES.

Can't believe I forgot that one. I hate TOP GUN more than I hate any other movie on Earth. Except BEACHES.

This post made my day. Thanks for the good laugh, I needed it. I still stand by my love of the movie Beaches. I am not typically into chick flicks, but I saw this one when it came out in theaters with my best friend and I just LOVED it. I loved the music, the story, Bette Midler...so yeah.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:41 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,256,773 times
Star Wars:

Honestly, I don't hate or dislike the movies...it's more a case of sheer boredom. I've seen bits and pieces of the 3 original ones, but never all the way through, because I keep falling asleep while watching them.

I know the movies are hugely popular...but I just never got what all the hubbub was about surrounding them.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:05 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
BEACHES. Watching this qualifies as cruel and unusual punishment.
Only a man would say this. You just didn't get it.

Quote:
I'm not a female baby boomer narcissist wallowing in a mid-life crisis. Maybe if I were, I might "get" BEACHES.
Wow, that was nasty.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:47 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Lincoln
Sleepless in Seattle
Avator
Sully
Jungle Book
Kramer v Kramer.
Da Vinci Code

Old 01-09-2017, 11:52 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,174 times
The Shining. It wasn't the content's fault, I just hate anything Kubrick does and this was the one highest ranked on imdb so it's the one I chose...but I could just as easily replace it with any other movie he's done that's widely regarded as excellent. That guy RUINS movies.

Fargo. Maybe I need to watch it again, but I just didn't "get" it.

No Country for Old Men. After about 30 minutes, when I realized the rest of the movie was going to be the same, I thought to myself "another hour and a half of this? won't it be boring?" It was. I didn't HATE it, but it wasn't the pinnacle of awesome that so many people I know believe it to be.

Bonus: movies that everyone (or a lot of people) hates that I enjoyed
Rollerball (2002, the remake). Don't get me wrong, Chris Klein is terrible, and I'm not a Jean Reno fan either, but I still liked it.
Demolition Man. Obvious branding aside, c'mon....A Brave New World in movie form? Loved it.

Old 01-09-2017, 04:33 PM

1,658 posts, read 1,256,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Demolition Man. Obvious branding aside, c'mon....A Brave New World in movie form? Loved it.
Same here. And while I'm not a huge fan of Wesley Snipes, I still think it was one of his better movies.

Old 01-09-2017, 05:52 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,443,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
I focus on the positive, as the negative will hold such a small percentage if you choose what you see wisely.
I totally agree. I can almost always tell from watching previews whether a film is worth seeing for me. I can't really think of a film that I've really hated.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:41 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,315,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by david0966 View Post
I totally agree. I can almost always tell from watching previews whether a film is worth seeing for me. I can't really think of a film that I've really hated.
"Hate" is too strong a word for me. It's a movie, for crying out loud. But in reading this thread, 3 spring to mind:

A.I.
Jurassic Park 2
War Horse

A.I. and Jurassic Park 2 both struck me as malicious. The flesh fair scene in A.I. -- where they were destroying the sentient robots/androids in a coliseum-like setting -- was traumatic for me. I had to get up and go to the lobby. What I remember most about Jurassic Park 2 is the trophy hunting. I thought it was awful. I could handle the exploitation of the animals in the first movie when they had seemingly good lives -- even though they shouldn't have existed at all -- but it really bothered me to see them hunted for sport in the second movie.

And War Horse was traumatic because the horse just experienced so much. Too much! Years ago, my family was watching Cold Mountain on video. Midway through, my father suddenly announced, "They should have named this movie 'Waiting For the Next Bad Thing to Happen'!" War Horse was like the equine version of that. I made it through the movie, but I was MAD. By the end, I was just steaming. My mother got up and left with 45 minutes remaining in the movie and sat in the car.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:08 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen963 View Post
Star Wars:

Honestly, I don't hate or dislike the movies...it's more a case of sheer boredom. I've seen bits and pieces of the 3 original ones, but never all the way through, because I keep falling asleep while watching them.

I know the movies are hugely popular...but I just never got what all the hubbub was about surrounding them.
Yes I don't really get it. I keep trying (peer pressure). And i still don't really care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies