Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 07:12 PM

225 posts, read 962,348 times

Advertisements

My nomination is Gary Oldman. He is the most talented actor in Hollywood. He can play any role. He becomes the character and you lose sight of the actor playing him which is the sign of a great actor. He not only can play villains but heroes as well (Harry Potter, Batman). He can be funny as he was on NBC's Friends.

The sign of a bad actor is Johnny Depp. He is an overactor who is performing. His acting looks forced and fake as he is trying to play a character. He doesn't take subtle aspects of himself and use them like Gary Oldman. Instead, Depp performs like a standup doing an impression of someone. Christian Bale is a great actor and does the same thing as Depp but manages to make his performances more sincere and genuine whether he was playing Patrick Bateman in American Psycho or Bruce Wayne in Batman. He is not over-the-top like Depp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 07:43 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,026,948 times
Morgan Freeman

Old 02-08-2008, 08:06 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,736,026 times
Kevin Spacey

Old 02-08-2008, 08:48 PM

463 posts, read 647,046 times
mel gibson

Old 02-09-2008, 04:46 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettearose View Post
My nomination is Gary Oldman. He is the most talented actor in Hollywood. He can play any role. He becomes the character and you lose sight of the actor playing him which is the sign of a great actor. He not only can play villains but heroes as well (Harry Potter, Batman). He can be funny as he was on NBC's Friends.

The sign of a bad actor is Johnny Depp. He is an overactor who is performing. His acting looks forced and fake as he is trying to play a character. He doesn't take subtle aspects of himself and use them like Gary Oldman. Instead, Depp performs like a standup doing an impression of someone. Christian Bale is a great actor and does the same thing as Depp but manages to make his performances more sincere and genuine whether he was playing Patrick Bateman in American Psycho or Bruce Wayne in Batman. He is not over-the-top like Depp.
I admire Oldman, Depp and Bale.
Of the three I'd say Bale is probably the most consistent and thorough.
IMHO Depp does not overact.
I've seen Oldman do over-the-top performances, but I don't fault him for this because they fit the films they were in. I am glad he has been able to get away from constantly playing villains.

I think Jeff Bridges has been underrated. Over the years he has successfully portrayed a nice guy, a visitor from another planet, a selfish egomaniac, the Dude, a cynical lounge lizard and so on.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:30 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Ben Kingsley, David Suchet, Edward Norton,Liam Neeson, Gabriel Byrne, Daniel Auteuil and Johnny Depp are amongst my favourites but there are so many talented people such as :

Jean Reno, Christian Bale, Cate Blantchett, Emanuelle Beart, Audrey Tautou,Samuel Le Bihan,Gerard Depardieu, Kevin Kline,Derek Jacobi,Sean Penn, Daniel Day-Lewis,Ralph Fiennes, Jeremy Irons, Rachel Weizs,Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Downey Junior,Tim Roth, David Strathhairn,Jake Gylenhaal, Meryl Streep, Jodie Foster,Jessica Lange, Susan Sarrandon, Julianne Moore, Nicolle Kidman, Emma Thompson, Kenneth Brannagh,Isabelle Adjani,Kristin Scott-Thomas,Michelle Williams, Maggie Gillenhaal, and based on one movie Abigail Breslin . And many more I am forgetting I'm sure ...

Old 02-09-2008, 08:04 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,650,724 times
Two of my favorites are Maggie Gyllenhaal and Philip Seymour Hoffman. I had high hopes for Paul Giamatti after seeing 'American Splendor' and 'Sideways', but since then I haven't seen him in anything good. On the other hand, he will always be Pig Vomit to me!

Old 02-09-2008, 09:16 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,382,489 times
Second on Morgan Freeman, but my first thought was Sean Connery

Old 02-09-2008, 09:38 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,615,586 times
Yes to Gary Oldman,in fact I just watched Immortal Beloved again-great !.But my NEW one is Viggo Mortensen nominated this year for best actor (Eastern Promises) but most know him from Lord of the Rings (though he has made a zillion movies.) I think Morgan Freeman and Sean Connery are class acts but they are pretty much the same character in every movie. Johnny Depp I do find very talented (and easy on the eyes.)

Old 02-09-2008, 12:14 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Yes to Viggo! I will forever see Gary Oldman as Sid Vicious!!!

As for actresses, I've yet to see Cate Blanchett give a bad performance, even in bad movies, she's wonderful! I'm waiting for her and Tilda Swinton to play sisters in a movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies