Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2016, 01:20 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,245,230 times

Advertisements

Did Kylo Ren accomplish one thing in the Force Awakens? He fails at almost every endeavour he attempts. By the end of the film he comes across as nothing but a incompetent spoiled child. Its hard for me to feel fear and nervousness for our heroes when the villain is useless.

Contrast this to a movie like No Country for Old Men. Where the villain is shown to be ruthless, unpredictable and competent and what we have is real tension and suspense.

Enough with useless villains, its ruining movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 07:04 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,296,351 times
Well, he did manage to kill Han Solo (we think), and in a fairly devious manner.

But beyond that, yeah, he got out-forced in every way by a girl with no training in the force.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:19 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,326,546 times
A good movie villain has to be ruthless, competent, and smarter then the majority of the good guys. Movies with these villains can reach cult status. I like movies where it's not has Hollywoodish and sometimes the bad guys win like in real life.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:09 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,588,288 times
I agree that Kylo was very weak and a hot head when you compare him to Darth Vader. But what's his master did say that it was time to complete his training so maybe in the next movie he will be much stronger.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:18 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,944,721 times
Too many movies are set up to be based around the protagonist (the hero) rather than their antagonist (the villain.) I think The Force Awakens was much better doing this than the Marvel method of movie making which isn't exclusive to the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies (namely The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World, Ant-Man) but also Sony with The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Fox with the Wolverine movies. Universal has also done it with the Fast & Furious movies many times.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:43 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,296,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I agree that Kylo was very weak and a hot head when you compare him to Darth Vader. But what's his master did say that it was time to complete his training so maybe in the next movie he will be much stronger.
I agree, I think we're seeing Kylo Ren early in his development as a villain here. I have a feeling Abrams is going to make his conflict between the dark and light sides a major theme in the next movie, and maybe the next two movies.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:56 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,841,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I agree, I think we're seeing Kylo Ren early in his development as a villain here. I have a feeling Abrams is going to make his conflict between the dark and light sides a major theme in the next movie, and maybe the next two movies.
This. "The Force Awakens"is act 1 of a three part play. We can't say he's a lousy villiain until we've seen the rest of the story.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:06 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,154,102 times
He was good. Struck me as an egotistical and cold villain. The tantrums were a bit silly but legendary villains like Dracula did the same too, Just without the lightsaber.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:53 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,944,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
He was good. Struck me as an egotistical and cold villain. The tantrums were a bit silly but legendary villains like Dracula did the same too, Just without the lightsaber.
It shows he isn't perfect like Vader. He has growing to do to do what his idol was able to do. It's a different dynamic other than the whole Episode II/III thing with Anakin becoming Vader.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:13 PM

22,938 posts, read 28,322,594 times
Two points: One, Kylo Ren wasn't the real villain of the movie. It was Snoke, and this was just Act 1 of a much larger story. Two, Kylo Ren at best was a secondary villain-in-training. Still working on his Wolf Badge, I guess.

I do give the filmmakers props for at least trying to do something a little bit different with the antagonists. I don't think it worked terribly well. But hey, an A for good intentions. C+ for final execution.

Now that STAR WARS is a bona fide hit again, I hope the next film will strive to be its own story, rather than a carbon copy of the first movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies