Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 03:20 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,180,411 times

Advertisements

I just watched this today for the first time. I can see why it is regarded as a classic. It was entertaining, and the soundtrack was Oscar worthy; but the plot itself was actually pointless.

Spoiler
They never explained WHY Mrs. Robinson was so adamant about Ben not dating Elaine. At first, I thought it would be revealed that Elaine was actually Ben's sister, but that wasn't it. Ultimately, it seems she was just jealous of her daughter?

I was also struck by the timeline, you would think at a casual glance that the film took place over a summer and maybe fall, but after seeing the condition of the Alpha at the end of the movie, it was obvious that at least a few years had passed; either that, or Ben constantly ran the vehicle through sandstorms, acid-rain, actual acid car washes, and every other condition that could destroy a paint job.

And last, but certainly not least, I didn't get the impression that neither Mrs. Robinson nor Elaine were any kind of a catch. They were both a bit more than broken. Mrs Robinson being a vindictive adulterer, and Elaine apparently not able to make a decision and stick to it.

But if they were not great catches, then there was no real loss because there prize was Ben. A person of absolutely no character - or really any redeeming qualities himself.

Definitely an enjoyable movie, but I hope there are not too many women (or men) out there like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 12:15 AM

5,604 posts, read 6,529,837 times
I grew up in the '60's, so I was too young to watch the movies that had everyone talking (the birth of the rating system, with Midnight Cowboy rated "X"). So, I was in my 40's when I decided I wanted to see some of these movies. The Graduate was one of them, and after about 4, I couldn't watch any more. They seemed so tame compared to what was now being produced, so it was a let-down for me. I don't know what I expected, but thought the movies of the '60's stunk. I couldn't get over how society was so up-in-arms over these movies. I guess it was because of the sexual permissiveness that up until then were kept behind closed doors, or just didn't happen at all. (the others I watched were: Midnight Cowboy, Carnal Knowledge w/Ann Margret, and another I have forgotten).

Old 07-26-2015, 01:01 PM

6 posts, read 4,477 times
I watched The Graduate for a course that I took in college. It is indeed, a phenomenal movie. Even though it was made in the 60s, this movie managed have me glued my eyes on the screen til the last minute. I usually can't stand vintage movies because I'm so used to watch modern films, but The Graduate was able to pull off, at least to me.

Old 07-26-2015, 03:31 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,710,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I just watched this today for the first time. I can see why it is regarded as a classic. It was entertaining, and the soundtrack was Oscar worthy; but the plot itself was actually pointless.

Spoiler
They never explained WHY Mrs. Robinson was so adamant about Ben not dating Elaine. At first, I thought it would be revealed that Elaine was actually Ben's sister, but that wasn't it. Ultimately, it seems she was just jealous of her daughter?

I was also struck by the timeline, you would think at a casual glance that the film took place over a summer and maybe fall, but after seeing the condition of the Alpha at the end of the movie, it was obvious that at least a few years had passed; either that, or Ben constantly ran the vehicle through sandstorms, acid-rain, actual acid car washes, and every other condition that could destroy a paint job.

And last, but certainly not least, I didn't get the impression that neither Mrs. Robinson nor Elaine were any kind of a catch. They were both a bit more than broken. Mrs Robinson being a vindictive adulterer, and Elaine apparently not able to make a decision and stick to it.

But if they were not great catches, then there was no real loss because there prize was Ben. A person of absolutely no character - or really any redeeming qualities himself.

Definitely an enjoyable movie, but I hope there are not too many women (or men) out there like this.

I agree that it's a great movie (although I hope people see it because it's a great movie, not as Michigan Transplant said, because someone is hoping for a cheap naughty thrill).

But I completely disagree with your spoiler comments. They seem so off-the-mark that it leaves me wondering how much you know about people, or even if you've read many books or seen many other movies.

Do you really not understand why a mother wouldn't want her lover to be potentially sleeping with her daughter? Is that really so hard to understand? Among your circle of acquaintances, do people routinely have sexual relationships with both parent and child?

Mrs. Robinson may not seem like a catch to you, butit was easy no-strings sex for a guy just out of college, and I'm sure it a lot of guys would consider it a fantastic opportunity. And Elaine is pretty, smart, and wealthy - isn't that enough of a catch? It's true that you're seeing Ben at the low point in his life, but you get a brief glimpse of what he might otherwise be like when he's with Elaine, when they warm to each other. By the way, if you ever happen to read the novel, you'll see what an amazing job they did with the movie.

It's a hugely beloved movie, and tons of people love it. It's different, it's dramatic, it's funny, it's beautifully shot, it's cleverly edited.

And if you're looking at the car's paint job, to the extent that you actually post about it, you're not paying enough attention to the movie.

Old 07-26-2015, 03:54 PM

50,403 posts, read 64,129,909 times
Quote:

Spoiler

I don't know how old you are, but I was Benjamin's age when the movie came out. You must realize the social climate of that time to really appreciate the movie. Parents were cocktail drinking social climbers, who's social standing depended upon their children lock-stepping into the same social mores. Mrs. Robinson was bored beyond belief with her life, so sought "entertainment", and someone who made her feel like she was still attractive. Of course she was jealous of Elaine. Elaine had fallen into the trap, as many of us did then, in which snagging a suitable husband was the main goal of any female.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:35 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,180,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I don't know how old you are, but I was Benjamin's age when the movie came out. You must realize the social climate of that time to really appreciate the movie. Parents were cocktail drinking social climbers, who's social standing depended upon their children lock-stepping into the same social mores. Mrs. Robinson was bored beyond belief with her life, so sought "entertainment", and someone who made her feel like she was still attractive. Of course she was jealous of Elaine. Elaine had fallen into the trap, as many of us did then, in which snagging a suitable husband was the main goal of any female.
I was a pre-teen at that time, and after thinking about what you wrote, I can see your point... But it was certainly nothing that I - or anyone else I know of from that period experienced - not that your perceptions are not correct - but I guess it is a white suburban cultural thing. For me, the movie had no resonance at all.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:47 PM

50,403 posts, read 64,129,909 times
Quote:
I was a pre-teen at that time, and after thinking about what you wrote, I can see your point... But it was certainly nothing that I - or anyone else I know of from that period experienced - not that your perceptions are not correct - but I guess it is a white suburban cultural thing. For me, the movie had no resonance at all.
Yes it was very much about the country club set at the time.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:58 PM

26,776 posts, read 26,897,504 times
Another interesting thread on the same topic. (I happened to admire Elaine as a character.)
https://www.city-data.com/forum/movie...67-i-cant.html

Old 07-26-2015, 08:09 PM

31,957 posts, read 27,093,183 times
Have only seen The Graduate on television (PBS and lately the Movies! channels), but love it more each time.

The 1960's seem like such another world from now, and of course they were. World shown in The Graduate was the last gasp of post-war Old California conservative/Republican world, it like the rest of the United States would soon be blown apart by the culture and other wars of the 1960's and 1970's.

Notice how Benjamin Braddock puts a "sir" on "ma'am" on the end of everything he says to those older than himself. Even Mr. & Mrs. Robinson who have known him for most all his life.

Dances at restricted country clubs or hotels where people still dressed (white dinner jackets and gloves not to mention those mink or other fur stoles), and not a minority in sight unless they were servants.

The world people like the Braddocks and Robinsons knew was about to be ripped asunder. But like European royalty pre-WWI they had no idea of the power keg about to go off that would knock many off their pedestals. For now they all are so sure of themselves and life goes on. Benjamin's life must be planned out including marriage to the "right" sort of girl. Someone the family has known all their lives and deems acceptable. Trouble is Benjamin just isn't sure if it all is for them. Is "plastics" all his future has in store?

Old 07-26-2015, 08:15 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,480,741 times
Just want to chime in here. Yes, a great movie. I saw the movie BEFORE I read the book. I have to say, the book was so much better. (I know, that's what is always said about a book/movie and this was absolutely true.) I have NEVER laughed so hard about anything. Ever. I literally fell of the sofa laughing at the wedding/bus scenes. Ouch. Honestly.

Also, I can never look at anything made of plastic without recalling the party scene. And I always think, 'He was right'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies