Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 06:24 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,201,463 times

Advertisements

I was already nervous about this movie since it featured a lame character, had been in development for years, and had been announced to not have Janet van Dyne in it. Then after seeing the aimless mess that was Avengers 2 I was even more scared. However, Marvel returned to form with an engaging and entertaining story that can both stand alone as well as advance the overall plot. Plus it continues the ongoing theme of individuals versus groups and more broadly whether power should be held by the many or retained by only a few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 07:24 PM

29,573 posts, read 22,969,055 times
I liked Antman, didn't 'love' it or felt wowed, but enjoyed it for what it was. Did decent box office this weekend.

So refreshing to see a comic book hero that isn't about the usual annoying battles in and around a metropolitan city with panicking civilians running amok. A little more low key.

The visuals were exceptional.

Definitely better than that Avengers movie (how it still made so much money is beyond me).

Old 07-19-2015, 11:26 PM

38,922 posts, read 24,065,030 times
I actually liked Age of Ultron but didn't love Ant-Man. Don't get me wrong, I really liked it but not loved like the Avengers, Winter Soldier, Thor and Iron Man. Really good take on the character and it took a weird character and made it work.
Spoiler
I REALLY loved how they got Janet Van Dyne into the movie.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:42 PM

8,608 posts, read 5,676,073 times
I rate Ant-Man a 7.5/10 (Age of Ultron only got a 7.0, and barely). It has some great parts, and it has "stock" parts. It has great visuals, and then it has moments derailed by dumb dialogue that Marvel feels it needs to inject into most of its movies (thankfully, the The First Avenger/The Winter Soldier avoided that mishap, while Thor: The Dark World sank because of it).

Ant-Man's greatest asset is Michael Douglas, and its worst quality is another cardboard villain paired with a threat-of-sale-of-sensitive-tech-to-enemy-forces premise. Like we haven't seen that before, Marvel!

Old 07-20-2015, 02:34 AM

483 posts, read 874,445 times
Ant-Man was Marvel's refreshing take on blending small-scale superhero action with comedy (pun intended). Thanks to Anthony Mackie's cameo and Michael Pena's hilarious acting, the blending worked. Movies like these should rival the god-centric and anti-hero stories that DC will roll out soon.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:45 AM

8,608 posts, read 5,676,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernski View Post
Movies like these should rival the god-centric and anti-hero stories that DC will roll out soon.
Batman v. Superman will be the comic book movie event of 2016. Billion dollar zone.

Ant-Man didn't pull in Guardians of the Galaxy-like numbers like some predicted it would. $58 million domestic. Fortunately for Marvel Studios, the budget was only $130 million, which is a pittance nowadays for this kind of movie.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:58 AM

38,922 posts, read 24,065,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Batman v. Superman will be the comic book movie event of 2016. Billion dollar zone.

Ant-Man didn't pull in Guardians of the Galaxy-like numbers like some predicted it would. $58 million domestic. Fortunately for Marvel Studios, the budget was only $130 million, which is a pittance nowadays for this kind of movie.
Yeah it was the lowest budget marvel movie to date.

I don't know if Batman v. Superman will have the legs that say Jurassic World had and be a billion dollar movie, BUT it will be huge. That said, Civil War could very well be a huge movie for Marvel as well.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:28 PM

950 posts, read 702,540 times
Saw it on Saturday, and that was surprisingly the first time I saw an audience actually clap their hands at the finale. The audience actually applauded. And deservedly so. I had attended to expect a campy film, what with Paul Rudd a comedian as the actor, but was pleasantly surprised at a straightforward adventure, although with some humor. When you think about it, the idea of someone who can communicate with ants is sheer absurdity, so it's a wonder that idea was so realistically shown as a superpower. When the audience laughed, it was all in the right places. Especially when Michael Douglas as Scott Lang's mentor, Henry Pym, communicates with ants on the dinner table to bring sugar-cubes to Scott. To see those two ants pushing two sugar-cubes to Scott evoked laughter from the audience. The difference was that the laughter was NOT due to humor but instead laughter caused by sense of wonder, the feeling of wonderment. Because the laughter was mixed with oohs and ahhs

Old 07-21-2015, 07:11 PM

29,573 posts, read 22,969,055 times
I'm glad I wasn't the only one that noticed:

How Did Ant-Man Make Young Michael Douglas? -- Vulture

When I saw the scene, I was like, wow, digital effects have come a long way in this respect.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:24 PM

7,349 posts, read 6,991,827 times
I enjoyed it a lot and expect to see it again soon.
What was funny is the as soon as the movie was basically over, a lot of folks just got up and left ,
as per some of the previous series, trailers were played, and sure enough there was one, and some good stuff too, then a few more credits and how about that, another little teaser added too.
Not telling what they are you all probably missed them too ha, ha .
I am so looking forward to when it comes out in DVD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies