Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2015, 09:36 PM

29,506 posts, read 22,620,513 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure where this subject would belong, but feel free to move it as appropriate.

But as a guy, I find it embarrassing when I get all emotional and teary eyed, especially watching movies at the theater.

Yes, I know, I'm sure most people don't find fault with guys who cry. But for some reason I always believed guys who cried were 'weak,' and I can't stand watching guys crying like a baby in public. Especially when people like pro athletes have a press conference to retire and the sort.

When I was younger I prided myself on being able to keep my emotions in check and I never cried or showed it (for the most part).

But seems like the older I get, the more easily I get all choked up over the simplest things. Hormonal changes maybe?

It sucks in a theater though, I fight so hard not to cry during emotional scenes, so I'll choke it back and act like it's no big deal, and try not to shed tears from my teary eyes. What prompted me to create this thread was because I saw a sad movie, "Like Alice," and there were some sad scenes in the movie.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 12:29 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Why????

IT MEANS YOU HAVE FEELINGS..... Why do you care what others thnk anyway??

I cry also...... Nothing wrong with it mate!!

Old 03-20-2015, 08:03 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
There is nothing wrong with crying. I cry. I'm nowhere near "weak" (I dint see how being emotional makes you weak) but I have emotions. Some scenes in movies bring back scenes that tug at my memories because I had a similar experience.. So you tear up. If someone thinks I'm "weak" because of it that's their problem.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:47 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,530,374 times
Lots of men, like me, grew up learning that crying and having emotions was not what a man did, that was for babies and wimps.This early life learning is very difficult to overcome.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:36 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
$10 a ticket would make me cry too.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:44 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
I don't mind crying though I rarely actually ball cry since oh 10 years old. If I do "cry" it's typically a few tears flowing while watching the first part of Up, say the 9/11 part of Dear John or allergies. I don't have shame. Most people won't realize that or in those scenes they would understand.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:51 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
If I saw a man sobbing in a movie I would think it triggered
a painful loss for him.
God bless him...grief sometimes never ENDS!
I would wish he had someone to comfort him...if not, that is perfect, too.

Crying is such a wonderful thing.

(I'm sorry men have been given such a hang up about it...but
I see it in movies a lot, "Man up, bro..." Its terrible...and then the curse
of the receding hairlines!!)

Old 03-23-2015, 12:25 PM

162 posts, read 181,179 times
Suburban Guy:

Maybe you need a less guilt-free experience. Here are a few legitimate medical/psychological theories that might help:

1. Culture plays a role. Some cultures find it more acceptable than others. Translation: some cultures look down on it, forcing you to stop a normal biological process. Google "Japan crying therapy."

2. Tears help relieve stress by helping rid the body of harmful stress-related chemicals. Here's a quote attributed to several people, including British psychiatrist Henry Maudsley: "The sorrow which has no vent in tears may make other organs weep."

3. There might have been social evolutionary benefits: Crying could have served as a bonding tool that has persisted over the centuries.

4. Empathy may play a role. This has something to do with oxytocin levels in the brain, and grey matter which can't make the distinction between real life and what you see in movies.

5. People can cry over things of beauty because it taps into deeper places of the brain. This could be art, music, awesome movie scenes. There's a build-up of energy with such feelings, and tears are a release.
(There are much more scientific explanations of this, but trying to write one of them down made my brain explode. I read a really simplistic and validating explanation of this a few years ago, but couldn't find it.)

Basically, you're not being weak by shedding a tear. It's ingrained in humans.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:38 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
Sometimes, when I'm at the movies, I must look like the most emotional guy in the world, with tears pouring out of my eyes like a salty Niagara Falls.

But it's just the contrast of bright screen and dark everything else, combined with the low humidity caused by the HVAC system.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:34 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,327,233 times
I don't care about crying in front of others now - but when I was younger, I only cried over two movies: Old Yeller and Beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies