Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 02:30 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times

Advertisements

I do one DVD and streaming. Lots of stuff I like is not available via streaming.

Timing seems to depend on when during the week I return the DVD.

Generally, if I send the DVD back on a Monday, they receive it on Tuesday and if it is something that is available at the local distribution center, I usually get the next one on Wednesday. If it isn't local, then I'd get it on Thursday or Friday.

If I don't send it back until Friday, I won't get another one until the following Tuesday at the earliest, since they no longer ship from their distribution centers on Saturdays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 04:23 PM

12,390 posts, read 8,159,056 times
The USPS has recently relaxed their local delivery standards as holding trucks until the last possible moment was killing them in overtime being paid to entire units which sat and waited for the last first class letter. What was overnight is now two days, except premium express mail

Old 01-14-2015, 05:59 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,149,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The USPS has recently relaxed their local delivery standards as holding trucks until the last possible moment was killing them in overtime being paid to entire units which sat and waited for the last first class letter. What was overnight is now two days, except premium express mail
Interesting. Do you know when this started? Just so happens my dvd with a Tues scheduled delivery came today - a day late - Wednesday. And my Wednesday dvd is nowhere to be found (in my mailbox). So I'm getting 2 day delivery for the first time...

Old 01-14-2015, 06:21 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,228,363 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
Interesting. Do you know when this started? Just so happens my dvd with a Tues scheduled delivery came today - a day late - Wednesday. And my Wednesday dvd is nowhere to be found (in my mailbox). So I'm getting 2 day delivery for the first time...
Article that explains the problem with Netflix closing a distribution center and the large cost to the USPS.
Did Netflix and the USPS have a falling out? | Save the Post Office

Old 01-14-2015, 09:34 PM

99,585 posts, read 4,493,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I know a lot of people stream Netflix, but I don't think their streaming selection is good. I get one at a time through the mail. I live just a few miles away from their local warehouse, so when they stick a movie in the mail, they say I will get it the next day...and I do!

Except the last couple of movies have taken two days, getting here a day after they say. Not a big deal, but considering that in the past they have been known for throttling and had to settle a class action suit about it, I am wondering whether throttling is starting again or the mail service is just a little slow.
Quote:
Yep, same thing is happening to me! It started January 1 and has happened with every DVD thus far in the New Year.

I've received Netflix DVDs since 2006 and have been getting 1 day delivery about 99% of the time the past 9 years. Now suddenly it's two days....except for my latest disc which was scheduled to arrive Tuesday. Did not arrive Tues or today, Wed. So that will be a 3 day delivery...IF it arrives tomorrow.

I came to the movie forum just now specifically to see if anyone else is having the same problem. They are definitely "throttling" DVD users again.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Officially the districts dropped to the lower standard on January1. Before many districts were not meeting the overnight standard anyway. Local managers are now looking to push back carrier starting times to their historical norms so carriers will leave for the streets with the mail available early and people won't still be receiving their mail at 7 to 9 PM

Old 01-15-2015, 04:40 AM

... ...

Old 01-15-2015, 10:21 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,565,470 times
Quote:
Officially the districts dropped to the lower standard on January1. Before many districts were not meeting the overnight standard anyway. Local managers are now looking to push back carrier starting times to their historical norms so carriers will leave for the streets with the mail available early and people won't still be receiving their mail at 7 to 9 PM
Now that is very interesting you said that because the last two times I got my netflix dvd, it didn't come when the email said it would, which was unusual because it ALWAYS comes on the day netflix says it will. So, I was supposed to get my dvd yesterday. I got home from work & nothing was in my mailbox. Today when I left for work, for whatever reason I looked in my mailbox & there was the dvd. What??? So that must mean that the mail carrier didn't get the mail delivered until what, 6 at night? That's weird, very weird. So, it's the exact opposite of what you just said, lol.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
So that must mean that the mail carrier didn't get the mail delivered until what, 6 at night? That's weird, very weird. So, it's the exact opposite of what you just said, lol.
In my area, when my regular mailman is not on duty, the fill in normally tacks on the route to the end of their normal one, so a normal 12-2pm delivery moves right to around 4pm or later.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
In my area, when my regular mailman is not on duty, the fill in normally tacks on the route to the end of their normal one, so a normal 12-2pm delivery moves right to around 4pm or later.
This, most routes end at 4:30 these days. If the district is short handed carriers start carrying two to four hours of overtime off of vacant routes at that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies