Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 10:14 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,858,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
We saw "American Sniper" today--
very full theater for 245 pm show--not in the XD theater--
the first 1/4 to 1/3 of movie I (and people w/me) struggled to understand what Bradley Cooper or Sienna Miller were saying--
he mumbles a lot--maybe because he has a dip in his lip or because he is mimicing Kyle's voice--
maybe because of the sound editing--
but frustrating--especially when you really need to hear some of the comments to get the point of conflict/reference

at least the war scenes are not so loud that your seat shakes

I thought it was more war/shooting/combat than really about Kyle's psyche--
that being said there are scenes that show Bradley Cooper riven by what he is required to do to protect US service men...
and Cooper has beefed up and comes across as a guy who is combat ready--even if the scenes at SEAL camp aren't that interesting as say GI Jane's experiences

the family scenes w/him and his wife illustrate more the negatives he brought after his first and subsequent tours--very little about his interaction w/his dad who seemed a very important factor in childhood--
and for heaven's sake--if you are going to show scenes w/an infant then get an infant--
a doll just doesn't cut it in a movie that is supposed to be realistic and top $$

but Eastwood has a deft hand at showing combat--

do I think Cooper deserves the Oscar--
no--I saw Mr. Turner this week and my vote would be forTimothy Spall who wasn't nominated...
but MOST voters of the Academy are notoriously conservative and probably more pro-war than anti--
I think Cooper might crowd out Michael Keaton who (some might think) was a little too exposed on that stroll around the block...

PS--Norton overacted so much in his role--unlike JK Simmons who was spot-on
Edward norton's role in Birdman was as some who was an over actor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 07:25 AM

26,811 posts, read 26,940,797 times
Hoping that J.K. Simmons wins for best supporting actor for "Whiplash" and Keira Knightley for best supporting actress in "The Imitation Game."

Old 02-16-2015, 11:18 AM

37,313 posts, read 59,992,132 times
I saw "The Imitation Game"--
I wouldn't vote for her as best supporting-
would give it to Laura Dern in "Wild"--haunting portrayal and certainly strong chemistry between her and Reese Witherspoon as her daughter
or
Patricia Arquette--totally believeable as woman with really bad choices in men and yet someone strong enough to support herself and two children in a world by taking responsibility when men wouldn't...
I don't think the movie itself should win--
concept is not unique and plot was little too pristine--
and the young lead I don't think is much of an actor--basically plot was built around what was happening in his life since last filming--so he just had to be himself--that is not acting

Old 02-16-2015, 04:19 PM

483 posts, read 871,734 times
Here are my top Oscar picks:

Best Picture: Birdman is MOST unique film out of the list in contention.

Best Director: Richard Linklater for Boyhood since he took risk in directing a film spanning 10 years.

Best Actor: Michael Keaton SHOULD win Best Actor for comeback role in Birdman.

Best Actress: Julianne Moore is a revelation in Still Alice. It's her best acting since Hannibal.

Best Supporting Actor: JK Simmons in Whiplash could beat Ed Norton by a nose.

Best Supporting Actress: Patty Arquette in Boyhood will win after putting sporadic work from True Romance to Boardwalk Empire.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:49 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,254,722 times
I didn't like The Theory of Everything much, but none of the Best Actor nominees deserve it more than Eddie Redmayne. At the very least, he should edge out the nominees portraying real people (Cumberbatch and Cooper).

Last edited by nc17; 02-16-2015 at 08:59 PM..

Old 02-17-2015, 01:49 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,858,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
I didn't like The Theory of Everything much, but none of the Best Actor nominees deserve it more than Eddie Redmayne. At the very least, he should edge out the nominees portraying real people (Cumberbatch and Cooper).
Have you seen Birdman?

Note: I haven't seen The Theory of Everything yet. But Michael Keaton in Birdman was incredible!

Old 02-17-2015, 08:03 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,254,722 times
I saw Birdman. I felt Redmayne was more impressive than Keaton. He becomes Stephen Hawking, in all stages of his life.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:28 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,763,764 times
Quote:
Quote:
I saw Birdman. I felt Redmayne was more impressive than Keaton. He becomes Stephen Hawking, in all stages of his life.
Absolutely agree. Redmayne is the most worthy of the win.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:24 PM

26,811 posts, read 26,940,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
...as best supporting - would give it to...Patricia Arquette--totally believeable as woman with really bad choices in men and yet someone strong enough to support herself and two children in a world by taking responsibility when men wouldn't...
I don't think the movie itself should win--concept is not unique and plot was little too pristine--
IMO, Arquette acted just like anyone's mother...I don't see the outstanding performance there. I agree w/ you on "Boyhood," which I liked but definitely don't see as Best Picture material. However, Arquette may get the award, since many of the Academy voters seemed to identify with her role as well as the story.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:24 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,627,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Have you seen Birdman?

Note: I haven't seen The Theory of Everything yet. But Michael Keaton in Birdman was incredible!
Yeah but Redmayne was in an Oscar bait movie, so that will win, plus he won the important precursors. I should note that I didn't watch Theory of Everything yet, but I do like Eddie Redmayne so I have nothing against him at all. I loved Birdman.

Grand Budapest Hotel needs to win Original Screenplay. Wes Anderson deserves it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies