Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 09:32 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,649,141 times

Advertisements

I plan on seeing this but have read such wildly polar opposite reviews ,I wondered if anyone has an opinion after viewing. People bored and walking out, to people proclaiming the best movie tour de force they ever saw.
Michael Keaton's performance is supposed to be amazing, certainly from the trailer it looks intriguing.
Also, a method of one shot camera work was mentioned as being extremely annoying and distracting to being a stroke of creative genius.
Anyone see it? Want to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 06:04 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,196,653 times
I am going to see it - if our town gets a limited release. While I avoid reveiws of any film I have not seen, I heard of some bad ones, so that pretty much cements my desire to see it. I gave Babel (2006) 4 of 5 stars, > 8/10, especially the Japan and Mexican / U.S. border segments.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:56 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,094,783 times
Saw it yesterday. Very original, very surrealistic. Not light, but can't really be called dark and depressing, either. Some unexpected laughs at times, even, and in-jokes about acting. I personally know a few actors, and it definitely captures the flavor of the combined narcissism and insecurity of the profession right on.

Michael Keaton and Ed Norton are dynamic to say the least. Keaton does angst so well, and Norton does his being a pr*ck so well, too. Naomi Watts and Emma Stone support nicely.

Have to say that none of it is predictable, so it has merit right there. It takes you up and down. The camerawork didn't bother me a bit; I think it really made it feel like being backstage. The scenes from the wings to where they are performing on stage were especially captivating. I see an Oscar nomination. But, not for everybody.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:55 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,452,747 times
I'm really looking forward to seeing this, planning on going this weekend.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Saw it yesterday. Very original, very surrealistic. Not light, but can't really be called dark and depressing, either. Some unexpected laughs at times, even, and in-jokes about acting. I personally know a few actors, and it definitely captures the flavor of the combined narcissism and insecurity of the profession right on.

Michael Keaton and Ed Norton are dynamic to say the least. Keaton does angst so well, and Norton does his being a pr*ck so well, too. Naomi Watts and Emma Stone support nicely.

Have to say that none of it is predictable, so it has merit right there. It takes you up and down. The camerawork didn't bother me a bit; I think it really made it feel like being backstage. The scenes from the wings to where they are performing on stage were especially captivating. I see an Oscar nomination. But, not for everybody.
I did think it was going to be more of a dark comedy.i will expect the unexpected.
Good review, thanks.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:20 AM

Started playing at one of our theaters. I may go tonight.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
Started playing at one of our theaters. I may go tonight.
Please let us know what you think.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Please let us know what you think.
Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) (2014). I thought I'd check out Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu's filmography before I saw this. So I saw Babel (2006) first and was hooked. Now I find out that it's the third in the Death trilogy, so I've got Amores perros and 21 Grams lined up for later. Birdman just grabbed me from the opening scenes, music, and did not let go until the final credits rolled. It's very rare that I will sit through the credits, but with a great film, you're glued to your seat. Tried to stay under my rock before seeing this - but I knew Michael Keaton was the main character - the remaining surprised me - Emma Stone, Zach Galifianakis, Edward Norton, Andrea Riseborough (Oblivion), Naomi Watts. At first, I thought I missed the memo on this being a Russian Ark one take film, but after a while you stop worrying, sit back, and enjoy his seamless cuts - actors running behind the camera to appear in different dress to play a different time. Night merging into day, and into night. Definitely in my top 3 of the year to date.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:01 AM

Good review fx, glad you liked it.
We just saw it, it was, to say the least, a movie " experience" .
It had the feeling of watching a play within a play, part fantasy of a mans mind, part reality of a man falling apart, and some of the most amazing acting I have seen.
Michael Keaton is one brave actor who exposed his soul, everyone in the ensemble was excellent.
I found the one shot camera work interesting. I felt like we were tagging along with the actors.
I squirmed at a few scenes( the locked stage door) and never knew what to expect. Lots of talking heads and intense dialogue scenes which some will find boring (we saw 2 couples walk out of the movie and not return) but it's a movie that has stayed in my mind ever since,,rarely happens. I so hope the cast gets oscar nods, it would be an atrocity if Keaton did not. I would sum it up by saying.....
Not a movie for Adam Sandler fans.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:20 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,452,747 times
Finally saw this yesterday, definitely lives up to the hype. I'm not going to give away too much, but I have to say that being a big fan of live theater made me like this even more. Great performances all around, I can see multiple Oscar nominations (Keaton, Norton and Watts and most definitely Inarrito for Director). If you do like this, I highly recommend Amores Perros, one of Inarrito's earlier films.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies