Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 07:36 PM

29,564 posts, read 22,944,955 times

Advertisements

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/star-wa...007715782.html

Quote:
Boyega, 22, whose scene in the film’s teaser trailer led to some online criticism of a black Stormtrooper, appeared to address those comments on his Instagram page Saturday.

"To whom it may concern … Get used to it," he wrote. After that sentence, he included a smiley-face emoticon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 08:17 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,711,632 times
There better be a good explination.
Getting used to it is not so much a problem with race as it is with storyline.

Stormtroopers are clones- they all look like the humanoid they were designed after.
So either this new character stole an outfit, or they had a V.2 run of stormtroopers with a different model.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:29 PM

2,776 posts, read 4,008,473 times
Regarding the OP: He stole the uniform and what you are seeing is him pulling off his helmet in a stressful reveal situation (kind of like when Luke or Han pulled off their helmets in New Hope.

Either that or some other explanation will be provided. The original Star Wars canon which is well established isn't going to be thrown out the window. There's way too many books already written on what happens after Return of the Jedi, the lives of each of the main characters including their children have been detailed out (I will admit I read just about all of them as they came out in the 90s). Although some changes and variance from the books are likely, I think for the sake of the franchise they aren't going to push the delete button on items covered in the last three movies.

I'm excited at seeing the trailer though and being reminded that it's only about 1 year away

Old 11-30-2014, 08:44 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,198,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
There better be a good explination.
Getting used to it is not so much a problem with race as it is with storyline.

Stormtroopers are clones- they all look like the humanoid they were designed after.
So either this new character stole an outfit, or they had a V.2 run of stormtroopers with a different model.
The EU /fan explanation that they started actually recruiting people for some reason is perfectly good to be made canon.

Other than that it seems likely given how the character is acting that he isn't a storm trooper, but someone disguised as a storm trooper.

Why people picked this over than silly rolling droid and lightsaber claymore only makes me question the future of SW more than I already did.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:57 PM

2,776 posts, read 4,008,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Why people picked this over than silly rolling droid and lightsaber claymore only makes me question the future of SW more than I already did.
Yes - my thoughts exactly: that rolling droid looks so darned fake, so CGI'd, that it upsets me. Until I see something in real life move like that I am left with the impression there's no way that looks remotely real. I would have expected something out of Lucasarts to be more well done this day and age and hope some final edits are done to fix it (the lighting on it, or something!)

Old 12-01-2014, 05:59 AM

23,018 posts, read 28,490,399 times
I love it when nerds lose their minds online. Never-ending source of entertainment.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:42 AM

23,692 posts, read 70,888,254 times
All the "uproar" is is more studio generated press or pressing media hot buttons. Lando broke that barrier long ago.

What I am waiting for is a photoshop of Trevon in the stormtrooper outfit, so that the studio publicity department can have their brains spin into butter trying to deal with it.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:02 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,233,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
All the "uproar" is is more studio generated press or pressing media hot buttons. Lando broke that barrier long ago.

What I am waiting for is a photoshop of Trevon in the stormtrooper outfit, so that the studio publicity department can have their brains spin into butter trying to deal with it.

With Trevon shouting "Hands up, don't shoot!"

Old 12-01-2014, 05:00 PM

13,587 posts, read 15,807,371 times
The black guy is a stand in just like in the original SW when they used a stand-in for Jabba the Hutt. Just give them a little time and they'll use CGI to make him look like the regular racially ambiguous clones.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:41 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,198,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
Yes - my thoughts exactly: that rolling droid looks so darned fake, so CGI'd, that it upsets me. Until I see something in real life move like that I am left with the impression there's no way that looks remotely real. I would have expected something out of Lucasarts to be more well done this day and age and hope some final edits are done to fix it (the lighting on it, or something!)
True. My main complaint is it looks so ridiculously different in its movements from all the other droids we've seen. I mean the thing's head isn't even connected to its body. I'm calling him as the new Jar Jar in that it is there just to sell toys and appeal to little kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies