Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 06:31 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,453,153 times

Advertisements

Foxcatcher Official Trailer (2014) HD - YouTube

Saw this today. I can see this getting a lot of award nominations in the next few months. I was really blown away by Carell's performance. I'm so used to seeing him do comedies this was such a different role and he nailed it. Ruffalo was also great as always and Tatum really surprised me. A little more info:

Based on true events, Foxcatcher tells the dark and fascinating story of the unlikely and ultimately tragic relationship between an eccentric multi-millionaire and two champion wrestlers. When Olympic Gold Medal-winning wrestler Mark Schultz (Channing Tatum) is invited by wealthy heir John du Pont (Steve Carell) to move onto the du Pont estate and help form a team to train for the 1988 Seoul Olympics at his new state-of-the-art training facility, Schultz jumps at the opportunity, hoping to focus on his training and finally step out of the shadow of his revered brother, Dave (Mark Ruffalo), also an Olympic Gold Medal winner. Driven by hidden needs, du Pont sees backing Mark's bid for Gold and the chance to "coach" a world-class wrestling team as an opportunity to gain the elusive respect of his peers and, more importantly, his disapproving mother (Vanessa Redgrave). Fueled by du Pont's increasing paranoia and alienation from the brothers, the trio is propelled towards a tragedy no one could have foreseen. Foxcatcher is a rich and moving story of brotherly love, misguided loyalty and the corruption and emotional bankruptcy that can accompany great power and wealth. Academy Award nominee Bennett Miller (Capote, Moneyball) once again explores large themes in society through his complex character portraits of real people. Winner of the Best Director award at the 2014 Cannes Film Festival.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 07:26 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,437,360 times
Am looking forward to seeing this...

Old 11-26-2014, 08:57 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,975,591 times
I want to see this, too. I remember when this happened--such a strange story!

Old 11-27-2014, 05:47 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,198,696 times
I've been checking every day to see if we'll get this limited release.

Old 11-27-2014, 04:29 PM

Release schedule:
FOXCATCHER - Now Playing - Coming Soon to a Theater Near You
, sonyclassics.com/

Old 11-30-2014, 11:00 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,437,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by david0966 View Post
Saw this today. I can see this getting a lot of award nominations in the next few months. I was really blown away by Carell's performance. I'm so used to seeing him do comedies this was such a different role and he nailed it. Ruffalo was also great as always and Tatum really surprised me.
Saw Foxcatcher the other night and really enjoyed it. Even though we knew how it would end, it was still shocking when it happened. Steve Carell was AMAZING! Two thumbs up!

Old 01-22-2015, 06:51 AM

Interestingly, From Mark Schultz, January 2, 2015:
Quote:
This must be understood. I am a born fighter and a team player. My life story is full of amazing accomplishments, tragedy and trauma. I've lived every breath of it.

My reaction on social media was triggered, not by the movie, but by an interview I saw with Bennett Miller whereon a sexual relationship between myself and my Brother’s murderer was insinuated by a reporter and allowed to breathe. I have no issue whatsoever with the choice of anyone's sexual orientation. When it comes to my own, however, I will speak up as that is my personal life choice.

Regarding my comments about Bennett and the movie, I believe that I have supported and trusted him with my life story and image. I also feel I have supported his interpretation of my story, although there were several points we've disagreed on regarding the portrayal of my character. All in all, I feel like I've helped in the films process by coaching Channing, consulting for 8 years, and adding my voice to what I did and didn’t want as an associate producer.

The particular scene in question during the interview was one of many that I objected to having in the film. It was fictional and inaccurate in its portrayal of my character and relationship with Dupont. I originally demanded he remove it, but at Bennett’s behest I ended up supporting it because I trusted he would clarify it’s ambiguity and overtones in future interviews and I've been learning to understand the artistic and creative process which is his expertise.

What I could not tolerate was a false interpretation of that scene during Bennett's interview concerning a sexual relationship between myself and the man who murdered my brother and caused so much anguish in my life. I hope everyone can understand how this would hurt. During the interview, there was an opportunity for Bennett to clarify this, to speak on my behalf and to defend my position. Given that I was not there to answer the question directly and that Bennett did not, I truly felt that I had no other choice. It was a hasty, emotionally charged reaction.

I did not intend any of the current media storm or public perception around the movie or the issue. I apologize for my methodology, especially to those who I have worked with to make the project a success. I hope this will help in resolving any undue conflict these actions have created.

Sincerely,
Mark Schultz

Old 10-18-2015, 07:21 PM

19,468 posts, read 15,341,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by david0966 View Post

Foxcatcher Official Trailer (2014) HD - YouTube

Saw this today. I can see this getting a lot of award nominations in the next few months. I was really blown away by Carell's performance. I'm so used to seeing him do comedies this was such a different role and he nailed it. Ruffalo was also great as always and Tatum really surprised me. A little more info:

Based on true events, Foxcatcher tells the dark and fascinating story of the unlikely and ultimately tragic relationship between an eccentric multi-millionaire and two champion wrestlers. When Olympic Gold Medal-winning wrestler Mark Schultz (Channing Tatum) is invited by wealthy heir John du Pont (Steve Carell) to move onto the du Pont estate and help form a team to train for the 1988 Seoul Olympics at his new state-of-the-art training facility, Schultz jumps at the opportunity, hoping to focus on his training and finally step out of the shadow of his revered brother, Dave (Mark Ruffalo), also an Olympic Gold Medal winner. Driven by hidden needs, du Pont sees backing Mark's bid for Gold and the chance to "coach" a world-class wrestling team as an opportunity to gain the elusive respect of his peers and, more importantly, his disapproving mother (Vanessa Redgrave). Fueled by du Pont's increasing paranoia and alienation from the brothers, the trio is propelled towards a tragedy no one could have foreseen. Foxcatcher is a rich and moving story of brotherly love, misguided loyalty and the corruption and emotional bankruptcy that can accompany great power and wealth. Academy Award nominee Bennett Miller (Capote, Moneyball) once again explores large themes in society through his complex character portraits of real people. Winner of the Best Director award at the 2014 Cannes Film Festival.
Watched this recently and I agree. I really didn't know what it was about when I started watching it. And I'm surprised I had never heard anything about the real life events. Anyway, it's one of those movies where it stays with me even days later.

Old 06-03-2020, 10:35 PM

4,492 posts, read 5,008,427 times
Watching this now on cable.
What a dark story.

Old 06-08-2020, 05:04 PM

12,334 posts, read 17,194,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Saw Foxcatcher the other night and really enjoyed it. Even though we knew how it would end, it was still shocking when it happened. Steve Carell was AMAZING! Two thumbs up!
I saw it also a while back. He was great. He played a bad guy role also in a great movie called the Way, Way back with Sam Rockwell as a characters jerk boyfriend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies