Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 08:44 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,227,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
We are firm believers that a good musical education should include at least an introduction to some classic musicals.

These are the ones we've had our 12 year old daughters watch so far.

1. Sound of music
2. King and I
3. Camelot
4. My Fair Lady
5. Fiddler on the Roof
6. Phantom of the Opera
7. Chorus Line
8, South Pacific
9. West Side Story
10. Gypsey
11. Mame
12. Les Miserables
13. Music Man

Can you think of others?
For boys, being forced to watch these would be worse punishment than a severe spanking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 10:58 AM

1,762 posts, read 2,103,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
For boys, being forced to watch these would be worse punishment than a severe spanking.
Wrong, my brother, a 17 year old straight male has always appreciated watching some of these musicals. My grandfather was also a huge fan of musicals. Not all men see musicals as punishment. Sure, they might not love all of them but my husband enjoys watching Grease, Singing in the Rain and The Wizard of Oz. My brother found Chorus Line to be very entertaining. He didn't love Les Mis but most of what he's seen he can at least appreciate the art and entertainment behind it.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:34 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,231,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Every single one of those had at least one outstanding male star. Our son also watched the same musicals as a pre teen and he enjoyed them. He was in band and orchestra and liked watching professional musicians.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:38 PM

5,528 posts, read 8,804,408 times
I'd nominate a different set of musicals for kids once they're older, say late middle school or early high school. At that point they can watch more contemporary stuff which they're in tune with both musically and visually, and are old enough to handle more mature subject matter too:

Rent
8 Mile
Moulin Rouge
Chicago
Hair
Sweeney Todd
Les Miz

My only concern would be that with Sweeney, kids would get misled because so much of the music from the original stage production is left out of the movie

And one oldie classic I haven't seen anybody recommend: The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

Old 05-29-2015, 08:35 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,194,106 times
Musicals for Kids...
  • Of course ALL the Fred and Ginger's flicks must be on anyone's lists.
  • Damn Yankees - For an older child and baseball fan.
  • My Fair Lady - Simply because it is that good a movies - musical or not.
  • The King and I - Because it is a very rich movie. Rich in color/style/acting.
  • Yankee Doodle Dandy - You cannot call yourself a patriot and movie lover without this film in your collection (I just ordered the DVD today). Kids might not like the original because it is B&W, but that is how it should be viewed. It may help them develop an appreciation for these fine old movies. (If you must, there is a Ted Turner Colorized version.)
  • Singing in the Rain - Even if it is only for it's eponymous number. All the rest is bonus material - and well balances the story. (But maybe really for older children. The "Gotta Dance/Broadway Melody" is a little mature for younger kids. Same thing with "Anchors Aweigh", even though kids would love Gene Kelly dancing with Jerry the mouse, the rest of the movie would be too mature for them.
  • Little Shop of Horrors - had a lot going for it. I really loved the girl trio, but also... Levi Stubbs was great as the plant and his parts were funny and cleaver. I got belly laughs from Steve's sadistic dentist. Rick and Ellen were cute. Even though it has mature themes, kids probably would not notice because of the rollicking songs and comic presentation.
  • The Wizzard Of Oz - never fails to bring me joy watching it. From the Muchkins welcome to the Intro of each of the companions it was just epic and great music... Always takes me back to childhood.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 05-29-2015 at 08:45 PM..

Old 05-29-2015, 09:01 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,334,805 times
Singin' in the Rain!!

Les Miserables was terrible for me.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:14 PM

589 posts, read 1,351,038 times
What about:
Hairspray
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
Phantom of the Opera
Yellow Submarine
Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
The Blues Brothers
Evita (I didn't much like it, but as a lead in to a history discussion, it's awesome)
Hello Dolly
High Society
Kiss Me Kate
Any and all of the old Shirley Temple movies!
Mame
Thoroughly Modern Millie
West Side Story

At 12, she might be too young, but the time she can watch Rent she should also watch:
GiGi
Tommy
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Repo! The Genetic Opera
The Corpse Bride

Old 05-29-2015, 11:38 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,995,670 times
Grease
Guys and Dolls
My Fair Lady
Music Man
Sound of Music
Annie
King and I
Mary Poppins
Wizard of Oz
My Fair Lady
West Side Story
Mamma Mia

Old 05-31-2015, 03:02 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,231,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
Grease
Guys and Dolls
My Fair Lady
Music Man
Sound of Music
Annie
King and I
Mary Poppins
Wizard of Oz
My Fair Lady
West Side Story
Mamma Mia
Terrific list and we have shown them just about every one. But movies just a few decakes ago move SO SLOWLY. Even we (and we're 69 and 75) find movies only 20 years old incredibly old and plodding.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:28 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,452,891 times
The Boyfriend.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC6iU3lykgw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies