Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 12:34 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,080,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by transdimensionalhottie View Post
Choi Min-sik isn't some "nameless Chinese" actor.... he isn't even Chinese, he is SOUTH KOREAN. He is wayyyyy bigger than Scarjo..... you know there is way more than American actors, right? I think Americans forget that sometimes.
The movie was set in Taipei, Taiwan (Republic of China), so the actors were playing Chinese guys.

Anyway, never heard of him. According to IMDB, his films have all been Korean. Not exactly a mainstream US movie star. You're delusional if you think he is bigger than Scarlett Johansen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 01:13 PM

29,532 posts, read 22,783,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
The movie was set in Taipei, Taiwan (Republic of China), so the actors were playing Chinese guys.

Anyway, never heard of him. According to IMDB, his films have all been Korean. Not exactly a mainstream US movie star. You're delusional if you think he is bigger than Scarlett Johansen.
I only knew him because of "Oldboy."

I suppose many people wouldn't particularly recognize him outside of South Korea and Asia.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:40 AM

142 posts, read 240,009 times
Review I wrote on imdv:

Just saw 'Lucy'. The premise is interesting - it definitely extends beyond the realm of transhumanism into territory usually the preserve of spirituality and religion, most explicitly in the scene where Lucy and the first humanoid 'Lucy' touch fingers in an allegory to the Micheangelo fresco. It was all too easy to think of Lucy attaining god-like status, as she progresses to fully using her brain and cerebral capacities. How that works is never quite explained. Although there is a theory I came up with that brains are sort of 'receivers' of universal consciousness that ties in well with this, but in reality, I don't think using '100% of your brain' will really give you all these superhuman or superhero powers.

The plot was probably the most disappointing part of the film. Beginning in Taipei, Lucy's boyfriend sets her up (presumably) with a Korean drug ring that is using people as mules smuggle in a drug (although whether they know the full capabilities of the drug is seemingly unclear) that is synethesised 'CPH4' a chemical that mother's release that stimulates bone growth in fetuses. Their goal here is not that clear. Basically another 'catch the bad guy' plot, intertwined with Lucy's (Scarlett Johansen's) evolution into some kind of superhuman and beyond. A lot of the action scenes and psuedo-science (which in itself is not a sin if properly worked out in the alternative logic of the universe) have been seen before. I'll give it 5.5/10.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:24 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,459,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravelli View Post
Review I wrote on imdv:

Just saw 'Lucy'. The premise is interesting - it definitely extends beyond the realm of transhumanism into territory usually the preserve of spirituality and religion, most explicitly in the scene where Lucy and the first humanoid 'Lucy' touch fingers in an allegory to the Micheangelo fresco. It was all too easy to think of Lucy attaining god-like status, as she progresses to fully using her brain and cerebral capacities. How that works is never quite explained. Although there is a theory I came up with that brains are sort of 'receivers' of universal consciousness that ties in well with this, but in reality, I don't think using '100% of your brain' will really give you all these superhuman or superhero powers.

The plot was probably the most disappointing part of the film. Beginning in Taipei, Lucy's boyfriend sets her up (presumably) with a Korean drug ring that is using people as mules smuggle in a drug (although whether they know the full capabilities of the drug is seemingly unclear) that is synethesised 'CPH4' a chemical that mother's release that stimulates bone growth in fetuses. Their goal here is not that clear. Basically another 'catch the bad guy' plot, intertwined with Lucy's (Scarlett Johansen's) evolution into some kind of superhuman and beyond. A lot of the action scenes and psuedo-science (which in itself is not a sin if properly worked out in the alternative logic of the universe) have been seen before. I'll give it 5.5/10.
Maybe a spoiler alert on this post?

Old 08-08-2014, 09:32 AM

668 posts, read 996,460 times
So a question to those who have seen the movie: why do we assume that everything that happens after her initial exposure to the drug is real? The doctor mentions that the drug is "like an atomic bomb for the brain" and that such a dose would likely be fatal, so perhaps everything that follows are just the unraveling drug-addled thoughts of a dying woman and she never actually gets up off that floor?

Granted, that would be giving Luc Besson a LOT of credit.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:53 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,503,798 times
Just saw the movie and its a great metaphor for what is coming with the technological singularity. Much better then Transcendence. I was actually very surprised and will need to see the movie a few more times. The only thing is I would of liked it to be in 3D.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nast View Post
So a question to those who have seen the movie: why do we assume that everything that happens after her initial exposure to the drug is real? The doctor mentions that the drug is "like an atomic bomb for the brain" and that such a dose would likely be fatal, so perhaps everything that follows are just the unraveling drug-addled thoughts of a dying woman and she never actually gets up off that floor?

Granted, that would be giving Luc Besson a LOT of credit.
I see the drug as a metaphor with technology and what will happen to us when we merge with computers.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:29 PM

293 posts, read 392,667 times
Noone wanted to see it with me, but I enjoyed it except for how she ended up, seemed really farstretched that she became what she did.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bianca324 View Post
Noone wanted to see it with me, but I enjoyed it except for how she ended up, seemed really farstretched that she became what she did.
She was able to reorganize her molecules and she became part of the technology. Why I say its a metaphor to the singularity when humans merge with computers.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:08 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,376,172 times
Got this from Redbox tonight. I was pleasantly surprised. I like Scarlet more every time I see her in a movie. (Just saw Lost in Translation for the first time.) This was intense. It was a little unbelievable. After all, why would she leave that bad guy alive when she had him there pinned to his tattoo chair?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies