Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 02:42 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,872,469 times

Advertisements

Not since I was a kid.

Most chop'em up horror flicks wouldn't have a plot if the people in them actually did things to get themselves out of their situation.

And the supernatural stuff is just silly.

I take that back. The "Money as Debt" video series on YouTube made me feel nauseous. I did lose some sleep over that. The real world is much more chilling than anything Hollywood has put out in recent years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 02:47 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,419,564 times
I can't remember losing sleep over any horror movies as a kid, even though hearing the theme from The Exorcist used to freak me out a bit.

Going back to childhood again, my bedtime was just before the start of Alfred Hitchcock Presents. That music scared the crap out of me.

A couple of years ago I went through the gory movie phase. I thought I'd lose sleep over Saw or Hostel, but didn't.

I agree about The Others, though. I think of it when I consider living in a rural area where no one could help. The same goes for that Liv Tyler movie, The Strangers. With my luck, I'd get a bunch of freaks like that at my door.

Philosophizer, I agree with you about the real world. Like many others, I had many sleepless nights just after 9/11

Old 05-30-2014, 05:53 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,579,956 times
Silence of the Lambs -- I've only seen it once, at the theater. I lived alone in an apartment building, and driving back to it, parking in the parking lot, all I could think of was that girl that was abducted in the parking lot. I was seriously nervous.

But now, you see pretty much that kind of thing on Criminal Minds every week…

Old 05-31-2014, 05:57 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,647,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
When I was a teenager I saw Halloween alone at night and I'll admit it scared the hell out of me.

You were very brave! That would have likely done a number on me as well.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:38 AM

24,484 posts, read 17,226,594 times
My wife is like that. She refuses to watch anything scary because it will get stuck in her head. She hates zombies and any of the slasher films. She even closed her eyes at certain points in Lord of the Rings movies. Pretty silly if you ask me. She is missing out on some really good stuff.
I watched the "Conjuring" the other night (alone) and for some reason it scared me. I paused the movie and went into the dark kitchen and the goose pimples and hairs on the back of my neck actually rose up. I was so scared of what I don't know. Yeah silly I know.
Years ago a girlfriend scared the Shinola out of me. We had watched ..... what was that movie where you watched a video tape and the girl comes out of the well and through your TV to get you. I was in bed half a sleep and I hear this sound like the girl in the movie made and down at the the end of the bed was my girlfriend standing there with her long dark hair over her face. I screamed like a chick! She got me good.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:40 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Paranormal Activity and 28 Days Later had me jumpy at night and I wasn't eager to go to sleep.

There were books that had this effect on me more than movies, though.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:21 AM

24,484 posts, read 17,226,594 times
Someone wrote me and that scary movie was "THE RING" Thanks.

paranormal activity was a good one too.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:26 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I have to say, I think Exorcist is overrated. I have no idea why people find it frightening. Anyway, when I saw the first Nightmare on Elm Street I had to sleep with the light on. The Ring & The Grudge also did it for me.
Gotta agree about The Exorcist. I found it just plain boring.

Jaws might have scared me if not for the fact that Bruce was so unreal looking.

Some Hitchcock movies have scared me. Birds was scary. Not to the point that I was afraid of birds. And the one with the shower scene. What wasn't shown in Hitchcock movies was scarier than what we actually saw.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:44 AM

924 posts, read 1,677,235 times
The Howling... I saw it as a teen with friends after a night of drinking. I had a terrible time falling asleep that night. My room was in the basement and I could see shadows in the window wells from the branches of the trees moving in the moonlight. They reminded me of the movie too much. I finally went upstairs and fell asleep on the couch in the living room.

I told DH about this and he used to think it was funny to try and grab me and make growling noises in my ear. I had to explain to him that I was using every bit of mental energy not to actually fight back and hurt him to get away and he stopped doing it. I know it's not logical, but it really goes to some primal fear part of me, in large part because of that movie.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:14 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Someone wrote me and that scary movie was "THE RING" Thanks.

paranormal activity was a good one too.
I did.
And The Grudge was on par with that for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies